Visa Requirements for US Born Child of Philippine Citizen

Nickleback99
Posted
Posted

All,  I will research, but wanted ask group of any knowledge in the current Covid situation regarding travel to PI by a child (age 6 in this case) who is born in US, but mom is still Filipino Citizen with Green Card here.  He's US citizen, but  qualifies for dual citizenship in PI.  He'll need travel to PI soon with my wife so she can deal with MIL's medical situation in person.  We'll be calling Phil Consulate on Monday, but thought I'd ask now in case someone else has done this recently or knows someone who has.   Thanks! 

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Because of your location you will contact the San Francisco Consulate. Their web site will have the information you need.

Has your wife applied for US citizenship? She should do so ASAP so she can be dual otherwise she may never return to the US.

Was your child reported to the San Francisco Consulate as born to a Filipino Citizen here in the US? If so that will speed up the process of applying dual citizenship.

• Like 2

Nickleback99
Posted
Posted
3 minutes ago, Old55 said:

Because of your location you will contact the San Francisco Consulate. Their web site will have the information you need.

Has your wife applied for US citizenship? She should do so ASAP so she can be dual otherwise she may never return to the US.

Was your child reported to the San Francisco Consulate as born to a Filipino Citizen here in the US? If so that will speed up the process of applying dual citizenship.

Thanks Dan.  None of the above done yet regarding birth report or citizenship for wife. We were in Okinawa for 2 yrs '15-'17, before coming back here, on orders.  Ironically, We had just prepped wife's citizenship package to send out when the call came re: MIL; so that still sits right here on the table.   Her green card is good 4+ more years; so, we'll see.  If we were to stay a number of years to expiration, guess we can re-apply a new spousal visa at that time, etc.   Pre-Covid, we have friend who got her initial stuff (biometrics) done here, then had to go long term to PI due to family matter, but came back here for her oath.  Not sure how that even worked, because supposed be living here if not on government orders; so, that's not our plan.  I'll be calling ICE next week on this as well so we have all the correct info from and to them regarding her medical related departure and seek guidance.  We could end up coming back much sooner than later if things are not good for our kiddo there, like by next summer....lot of things up in the air still.  

I did just finish research and for sure kiddo has to either get the 9A here or a Philippine Passport.  Several instances similar to ours where people reported airlines refused let child board without, etc after they were reportedly given mixed info when buying tix. 

• Like 1

Nickleback99
Posted
Posted

Dan, looks like if she applies for a Re-Entry Permit, she can go out of the country for up to 2 yrs and return without issue.   By then, we should know what we are going to do absent more curve balls thrown our way.  Learning as we go and scouring government sites on internet all weekend along with grabbing some DHL type boxes.   Thanks for all your help/feedback.  Owe ya a few beers!

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
39 minutes ago, Old55 said:

Why would you say that, the red part?

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

I added that because they plan to permanently move to Philippines. As I understand it Don she could loose her green card if she were to stay out of the US for a long period of time. Becoming dual avoids that issue. 

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
51 minutes ago, Old55 said:

I added that because they plan to permanently move to Philippines. As I understand it Don she could loose her green card if she were to stay out of the US for a long period of time. Becoming dual avoids that issue. 

I see.  I thought she was only coming for a while due to MILs condition, and not yet making the permanent move.

• Like 1

Nickleback99
Posted
Posted

Thanks Dan and Don.  After further discussion here at the casa, a calmer cabernet induced mind and scouring sites and forums on line and since too many moving parts on short notice, she may now go the 6-8 weeks with kiddo (it's kindergarten right now anyway), then come back and we'll get naturalization completed and dual citizenship accomplished, then make the more long term move if another world catastrophe, pandemic, asteroid strike(!), etc doesn't occur. After 2020?....ANYTHING is possible.  Now I gotta go get some more ammo this weekend before Tuesday and the ensuing chaos!   Have a good night....or day in PI for you Don.

• Haha 1

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, OnMyWay said:

I see.  I thought she was only coming for a while due to MILs condition, and not yet making the permanent move.

Yes, she is going to attend to her mothers medical emergency now but next year they plan to move full time.

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, Nickleback99 said:

Thanks Dan and Don.  After further discussion here at the casa, a calmer cabernet induced mind and scouring sites and forums on line and since too many moving parts on short notice, she may now go the 6-8 weeks with kiddo (it's kindergarten right now anyway), then come back and we'll get naturalization completed and dual citizenship accomplished, then make the more long term move if another world catastrophe, pandemic, asteroid strike(!), etc doesn't occur. After 2020?....ANYTHING is possible.  Now I gotta go get some more ammo this weekend before Tuesday and the ensuing chaos!   Have a good night....or day in PI for you Don.

You forgot Murder Hornets just north of you. :cheersty:

• Haha 1