Visa Requirements for US Born Child of Philippine Citizen

graham59
Posted
Posted

There is a procedure in the Phils called 'Recognition' (as a Filipino Citizen) ...for foreign-born children of Filipino mothers.

I had my UK-born son 'Recognised' when he was 2 years old.  (No visas required for the Phils after that).  He can now have dual citizenship and apply for a Filipino Passport... using his certificate, though thus far he hasn't bothered to do so. 

Details can be found somewhere on the Phils B.I. website.  :smile:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
Nickleback99
Posted
Posted
On 11/3/2020 at 6:04 AM, graham59 said:

There is a procedure in the Phils called 'Recognition' (as a Filipino Citizen) ...for foreign-born children of Filipino mothers.

Details can be found somewhere on the Phils B.I. website.  :smile:

Thanks Graham.   To add "insult to injury", Murphy's Law struck... we did not initially realize son's US passport literally expired just few weeks before all this hit the fan...5 yr passport only for kiddos.  Anyway, new passport is ordered, then we'll get the 9a for now if wife still goes over, and either way, get his dual citizenship.  Lola's treatment at least is proceeding and she now definitely needs angioplasty.   At this point, looking forward to getting the whole family move done mid 2021.   Thanks again.

• Like 1

graham59
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Nickleback99 said:

Thanks again.

You're welcome.

Good luck. :thumbsup:

• 1 month later...
Nickleback99
Posted
Posted

Well, it's all worked out, for most part, since Phil. Govt removed the 9a requirement just in time for Xmas.  Passport arrives this week and they fly out Friday via ICN.  Used to be when paid for "Expedite Service" on passport, ya got it back in about 10 days.  Now it's 4-6 weeks in age of Covid, etc.  Son's will arrive at about 5 week mark since figure Thanksgiving short week slowed it down.  Hopefully all goes smoothly once they land in MNL, get tested and quarantine. 

• Like 3

graham59
Posted
Posted

Oh... wishing you more good luck then, and a very Merry Christmas ! :thumbsup:

001_XMas.gif

• Love it 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Nickleback99 said:

Govt removed the 9a requirement just in time for Xmas.

N99 do you have a source for this?

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Jack Peterson said:

I think what he meant was Balikbayan entry restarted so his son can travel with his mom, and no longer needs to get a 9A.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Nickleback99
Posted
Posted
On 12/14/2020 at 12:23 AM, Jack Peterson said:

Don't have it handy, but there was a BI announcement on it, which confirmed.  Son and mom landed Sat night, No problems entering since she had all over he ducks (paperwork) in a row, esp birth certificate, marriage cert for us and a notarized letter from me allowing international travel for them without me (only in case someone asked relative to custody kidnappings).  The biggest hold up was the Covid testing as their flight was last of about 4 in a row and long lines.  Even though pre-registered with Red Cross system with bar code, they still got routed to the local lab process at MNL since did not pre-pay....Nothing's easy in the PI !  Anyway, 2 hrs wait to test, onward to Makati hotel and results came 24 hours later (Negative thankfully) and they departed hotel at 0200 onward to family home in Caloocan.  

As a side, we used Asiana vice EVA out of Seattle as EVA required a negative Covid test Here in US ($250 eadch! if private) within 3 days travel date to transit thru Taipei.   THEN Asiana announced same, But with 2 days testing, starting 20/21DEC to transit ICN; so, they have list of facilities to test before they fly out next month.....dang 13 hr layover in ICN on return.

Nickleback99
Posted
Posted

Will add one more thing....City Garden Hotel in Makati was Great to deal with and took good care of 'em while there for 24 hours.  Good room service and they brought them extra bottled water at no charge.  

• Like 1