I'm Positive

Gandang Smile
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, hk blues said:

But surely one person's experience with the virus is hardly indicative of any kind of global trend Gandang Smile?  Whilst I agree with many that there has been an abundance of caution that maybe has been excessive, there is not question that the virus had significant impact on many and continues to do so. Sure, the death rates are not as high even if the infection rates are but that can be explained without assuming the potency is weaker now.

We simply don't know IMO.

I am sure you're right @hk blues. I personally only know one person who died with Covid-19, he was one of my high-school teacher and a beloved member of our local community. He was past 80 and with severe respiratory problem. Not to underestimate Covid-19, but all doctors who took care of him said even a common flu could have taken him down.

I have to absorb what I read from the mainstream press and news, in Italy and here in the Philippines, so even wanting to believe what I hear about the present danger of Covid, I am also seeing another effect, first hand: the impact of these prolonged lockdowns on the Philippine economy. Not the economy of the posh Greenbelt concessions or the big franchises with million of dollars of cash in their banks, but the mom & pop store, the small business, the sole trader economy. Or the economy of the BPO, which has been the backbone of the middle class for the past few years.

They're devastated.

I agree that this whole pandemic is having a massive effect on the world economies and societies. However, my question is: how much of this abscribable to the virus alone, and how much it is to the effect of the lockdown, border-closure, travel-ban policies most states have put in place?

• Like 4

hk blues
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, Gandang Smile said:

I am sure you're right @hk blues. I personally only know one person who died with Covid-19, he was one of my high-school teacher and a beloved member of our local community. He was past 80 and with severe respiratory problem. Not to underestimate Covid-19, but all doctors who took care of him said even a common flu could have taken him down.

I have to absorb what I read from the mainstream press and news, in Italy and here in the Philippines, so even wanting to believe what I hear about the present danger of Covid, I am also seeing another effect, first hand: the impact of these prolonged lockdowns on the Philippine economy. Not the economy of the posh Greenbelt concessions or the big franchises with million of dollars of cash in their banks, but the mom & pop store, the small business, the sole trader economy. Or the economy of the BPO, which has been the backbone of the middle class for the past few years.

They're devastated.

I agree that this whole pandemic is having a massive effect on the world economies and societies. However, my question is: how much of this abscribable to the virus alone, and how much it is to the effect of the lockdown, border-closure, travel-ban policies most states have put in place?

There is nothing I disagree with in your post, Gandang Smile. 

Nobody living here can fail to notice the immediate impact on people's lives of the lockdowns and subsequent restrictions - many of which seem unnecessary. Ultimately, I suppose they have to err on the side of super-caution here because of the fragile state of the healthcare system - imagine the outcome if even 1/4 of the 125K daily cases the US is now experiencing was to be experienced here?  And, from my experience yesterday, there is a degree of complacency not seen before - this is a worry.  

Unfortunately, we are not in a position to predict what the virus is going to do and if governments loosen restrictions then we can assume it's a risky strategy - we need only look at the situation in the US and Europe to confirm that.  Now, based on what's going on in the rest of Asia we might think the Philippines can be less restrictive - but it is being as far as I can see.

There is no easy way out of this unless/until a vaccine pops up.  

• Like 2

Jake
Posted
Posted
On 11/7/2020 at 3:21 PM, Dave Hounddriver said:

Sorry to hear you tested positive, but good to hear your symptoms are mild to none.  I wonder how many of us would test positive if we went for the test.

I had an interesting conversation with a contact tracing official, a young college graduate that lives in Oklahoma (go figure).  Anyway, I ask him if I need to take another test after my self quarantine expires in about 7 days.  You know, just for my piece of mind.  

To my surprise, he said it will be unnecessary.  He further explain that even if you have DEAD viruses in your system, more than likely I will produce another test positive.  Here is a website from CDC that may explain my situation:  

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/if-you-are-sick/end-home-isolation.html

• Like 2
  • Hmm thinking 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
18 minutes ago, Jake said:

He further explain that even if you have DEAD viruses in your system, more than likely I will produce another test positive.

From what I have read, dead virus particles of any kind (cold, flu, etc.) are what cause a lot of false positives.  

• Like 1

Guy F.
Posted
Posted

The death rate from Covid-19 is 1%. The rate of long lasting life-altering symptoms or effects is somewhere between 10% and 30%. Do a web search for "long covid". This must be factored into the calculation of break-even point for cost of restrictions vs cost of the disease.

• Like 1

Yeochief
Posted
Posted (edited)

Master Chief we are praying for you and your family.  Surprised that this virus would want to attack an old Master Chief like you after all that you have been exposed to, not a smart virus.

Edited by Yeochief
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

intrepid
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, Jake said:

By the way, 7 more days before my quarantine expires.  I can still smell my farts.

Get well soon Jake!  Meanwhile until you can get out roam about may I suggest to go lightly on the beer & crabs, dairy products, and beans!:whistling:

• Haha 2

Guy F.
Posted
Posted
On 11/10/2020 at 3:04 AM, intrepid said:

Get well soon Jake!  Meanwhile until you can get out roam about may I suggest to go lightly on the beer & crabs, dairy products, and beans!:whistling:

And garlic. Don't know about you, but I can't even stand myself after a garlic overdose.

Under most circumstances I would say "stay positive", but now I'll just wish you the best of luck, and you can do a lot to make your own luck.

• Haha 2

baronapart
Posted
Posted

Best wishes for a strong recovery. Go Navy!

• Like 1

• Jollygoodfellow locked this topic