Grocery Prices Going Up?

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted

Since I dont do the shopping, just open the wallet, I dont know about inflation, but their seems to be a vegetable shortage. 

She sent the maid to buy Tinola, and the shop gave only chicken, she said there were no veggies due to the market being out.

• Like 2

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted
13 hours ago, hk blues said:

Aren't prices regulated here - at least staples? 

Rice is but most of the other things are supply and demand.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yeochief
Posted
Posted

I haven't been here long enough to notice the price changes.  I just know my San Miguel Pale Pilsen is 39P, hair cuts are 100P (shop just opened up the first of October so I expect it to go up), I get my hair cut once a month, paid $10 at the Navy Exchange back in the States.  Fresh shrimp large 450P per kg, extra large 550P per kg at local stand.  Wife does most shopping, she just gets what she needs from my wallet.  A lot of folks selling door to door here in McArthur Village and on face book.  All sorts of folks selling food at dinner time on the streets here.  

• Like 5

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
5 minutes ago, Yeochief said:

I just know my San Miguel Pale Pilsen is 39P,

When I went to the Philippinese in 2007 I bought Pilsen for 16 pesos a bottle.  I did not even have to pay a deposit, just return the bottles when done.  So the price has gone up almost triple in 13 years.  For those on a budget, can you afford triple prices if you are there for 13 more years?  Just askin.

• Hmm thinking 1

Yeochief
Posted
Posted
4 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

For those on a budget, can you afford triple prices if you are there for 13 more years? 

I guess I would have to stop drinking beer, only drink 3 or 4 a week.  Lucky my retirements generally increase about 1% each year, that can also change to no increase.  

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
12 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

For those on a budget, can you afford triple prices if you are there for 13 more years?  Just askin.

Well I for one would struggle in the UK Now, so the odds are against going Home so Yes, Here I will stay 

• Like 5

hk blues
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, sonjack2847 said:

Rice is but most of the other things are supply and demand.

Duterte issued an edict in March which was to last 6 months covering a range of agriculture and fishery products - not just rice.  I'd imagine the edict has expired so that might explain some of the price rises.  I think there are some other items generally covered by price control but this merely sets a ceiling rather than a fixed price.

hk blues
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

When I went to the Philippinese in 2007 I bought Pilsen for 16 pesos a bottle.  I did not even have to pay a deposit, just return the bottles when done.  So the price has gone up almost triple in 13 years.  For those on a budget, can you afford triple prices if you are there for 13 more years?  Just askin.

Nearer to double than triple though. 

If I was living on beer then the rate of increase would be a worry but I guess I'd not be around long enough to feel the pinch! I tend to focus on inflation as a number rather then individual products - it's running at 2.4% here and at 0.7% in the UK.  Obviously, prices are rising faster here than in the UK but at 2.4% it's not unmanageable for me. 

• Like 1

GeoffH
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, hk blues said:

Obviously, prices are rising faster here than in the UK but at 2.4% it's not unmanageable for me. 

I see the higher inflation in the Philippines as 'closing the gap between western living costs and Philipppines living costs' but still having a long way to go to catch up.

• Like 1

jimeve
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, GeoffH said:

I see the higher inflation in the Philippines as 'closing the gap between western living costs and Philipppines living costs' but still having a long way to go to catch up.

Internet is already cheaper in the UK. link Compare Internet Deals - Uswitch Official Site