Grocery Prices Going Up?

GeoffH
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, jimeve said:

Internet is already cheaper in the UK. link Compare Internet Deals - Uswitch Official Site

Internet in the UK must be cheaper than internet in Australia, her a 25/5 plan costs between about 2500 peso, and a 100/20 plan costs 3500 peso (TV channels are an extra 1500 peso for the basic channels and up to 4000 for the full list of channels).

The available fibre plans at the house in CDO cost 1600 peso with 120 TV channels included for 10/10 or costs 2200 peso with 130 TV channels for 30/30 (100 isn't available yet, it's been 'coming soon' for a couple of years now).

• Like 1

jimeve
Posted
Posted
22 minutes ago, GeoffH said:

Internet in the UK must be cheaper than internet in Australia, her a 25/5 plan costs between about 2500 peso, and a 100/20 plan costs 3500 peso (TV channels are an extra 1500 peso for the basic channels and up to 4000 for the full list of channels).

The available fibre plans at the house in CDO cost 1600 peso with 120 TV channels included for 10/10 or costs 2200 peso with 130 TV channels for 30/30 (100 isn't available yet, it's been 'coming soon' for a couple of years now).

TV in the UK depends on what service you want, you still need to pay for a TV licence, not sure how much it cost, about 150 quid a year. then if you want sat TV, (SKY) then it's very expensive specially if you want football. Then there's territorial TV broadcast that's so called free.

• Like 3

GeoffH
Posted
Posted (edited)
41 minutes ago, hk blues said:

I try to avoid buying imported products as they are ridiculously expensive and, frankly, I can get by without them.  

I don't buy much in the way of imported food when I'm there either, maybe a box of cereal for breakfast and some jam for toast in the morning but lunch and dinner I eat local food like the rest of the family (I've always like asian type foods with rice so it's not a problem for me but I realize it is for some).

Even in Aussie half of my meals are some sort of indian food with rice or faux chinese with rice or mexican with rice *shrug*.

Edited by GeoffH
  • Like 2

jpbago
Posted
Posted
On 11/9/2020 at 8:42 PM, Dave Hounddriver said:

When I went to the Philippinese in 2007 I bought Pilsen for 16 pesos a bottle.  I did not even have to pay a deposit, just return the bottles when done.  So the price has gone up almost triple in 13 years.  For those on a budget, can you afford triple prices if you are there for 13 more years?  Just askin.

If beer is your main expense, then you would need to adjust your budget.

How do you like those BC beer prices, especially in a bar or restaurant (if you can find one open)?

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, jpbago said:

I agree with you.  However, reading through this forum could give  person the idea that the price of beer was foremost on the average expat's mind.  I could have mentioned that the price of a 50 kg sack of Ganador rice has gone up from about 1.200 to almost 3,000 pesos in the same time if that interests anyone.

We are lucky, here on Vancouver Island, BC. The bars and restaurants are all open and the price of beer has about doubled since I left 13 years ago.  

• Like 3

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
On 11/10/2020 at 9:42 AM, Dave Hounddriver said:

When I went to the Philippinese in 2007 I bought Pilsen for 16 pesos a bottle.  I did not even have to pay a deposit, just return the bottles when done.  So the price has gone up almost triple in 13 years.  For those on a budget, can you afford triple prices if you are there for 13 more years?  Just askin.

Can't remember what year it was but the SIN tax came in so prices for alcohol and cigarettes were to increase to discourage people from buying or to make the goverment more money.

Most likely Dave to answer your question after 13 years most probably dont drink as much more to do with getting old.

RBM
Posted
Posted
On 11/9/2020 at 1:54 PM, OnMyWay said:

Have you all noticed groceries going up?  My wife commented that the wet market prices are higher.  The guy she buys my BBQ sticks from changed his price from 10p a stick to 15p.

The imported products I buy at our local duty free are going up.  The frozen beef sirloin patties, from California, that I like, had already gone up, before Covid.  A few years ago they were like $13, then before Covid $15.  They have been out of stock for a few months and had them this morning, $17.

I was at Pure Gold Duty Free last week and I was so astounded by this price that I took a picture.

20201103_144724 (2).jpg

When I dumped my phone just now I noticed and was reminded to look up the U.S. price.

Screenshot (99).png

On my way.....if your so fond of cashews I have seen them on Face Book at around P500 think was 500grams. We bought same at our local baker supplier for even less, my partner uses them in baking.

Yes we also noticed all prices have increased especially at our local restos. 

RBM
Posted
Posted
13 hours ago, jpbago said:

How do you like those BC beer prices, especially in a bar or restaurant (if you can find one open)?

One can always drink Beer Na Beer almost half price of SM.

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
12 minutes ago, RBM said:

On my way.....if your so fond of cashews I have seen them on Face Book at around P500 think was 500grams. We bought same at our local baker supplier for even less, my partner uses them in baking.

Yes we also noticed all prices have increased especially at our local restos. 

Yes, I do like cashews and I have been eating a lot lately, as they go well with my keto diet.  I have several sources and have not bought online yet.  I posted the Kirkland because it was so outrageous.

Actually that same day Pure Gold Duty Free had some roasted and salted Planters cashews in a good sized can for $9, and I bought them.  I did the math and the per gram cost was just slightly higher than I like to pay.

We have a kiosk outside of Royal Duty Free called Willly's.  Price is fine and they are always fresh.  p250 for 250 grams whole, or p200 for 250 grams of cracked.  I am a regular there.

https://www.facebook.com/willyscashewnuts/

I think All About Baking does have our best prices locally for raw cashews, but I don't go there often.

I prefer roasted and salted, which is always a bit more.  Nutwalker brand is good quality and ok price.  I think about p200 for 185 grams.

• Like 1