Anyone considering visiting your homeland or another country for a vaccine inoculation?

Explorer
Posted
Posted
On 11/9/2020 at 8:04 PM, Old55 said:

Evidently vaccines are available in China and Russia now. The US and Briton will have one very soon maybe next month. Anyone thinking of returning to your homeland or some other country for a vaccine? 

I have no plan to take vaccine... After spending months of lockdown in Philippines I gave up and returned to Florida two weeks ago, except for wearing face mask indoors, life is normal here, I think I will survive without vaccine... Never took flu shots and I am still alive... If you have pre-conditions, go ahead take the vaccine, but remember, this may not be one shot deal, to be effective it may require yearly vaccination.

GeoffH
Posted
Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, Explorer said:

If you have pre-conditions, go ahead take the vaccine, but remember, this may not be one shot deal, to be effective it may require yearly vaccination.

That's not a deal breaker, many 'seniors' (which to be honest is most of us on here) get a yearly flu vaccination now.

I'd expect that in a few years when the Pandemic is over and Covid becomes a low level virus circulating in the population that yearly (or bi annually or 10 yearly or whatever the immume period is) becomes standard recommended treatment like the flu jab has.

Edited by GeoffH
  • Hmm thinking 1

GeoffH
Posted
Posted (edited)

Another western vaccine candidate (Astra Zenica) has released information (this time stage II results not stage III)  but what's interesting is the results show strong immune responses in older people (something that Pfizer and Moderna have been silent about so far).

These are stage II results so we are talking about a subject group of hundreds of people not a group of tens of thousands but this vaccine candidate shows similar immune responses across three age groups ((18-55, 56-79, and 70+) which is good news for us seniors.

https://www.axios.com/covid-vaccine-oxford-university-immune-response-8a3e923d-3ec0-4f0a-8f76-2c5ce93eb468.html?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=onhrs&fbclid=IwAR2nAXklvpGIdPG4bafzVMhxuaFDYG56k9ABWCuy5esykwGf-RyYLZdL3Ec

NB the stage III results for Astra Zenica should be out in a few weeks (I await those with interest).

NB 2 For those wondering why this matters it's been suggested that some vaccines may be more suited to older people or people with compromised immune systems, this vaccine would be one that might best meet the needs of the 60+ age group.

NB 3 Astra Zenica vaccine candidate can be distributed without needing a freezer (just in refigerator temperatures)

NB 4 Astra Zenica has already started manufacture in advance of approval and will have several hundred million doses ready for when approval is granted (if it's granted).

NB 5 Astra Zenica manufacturing is simpler and faster than the Pfizer or Moderna mRNA vaccine candidates as it can use existing manufacturing plants (it's not new technology).

I don't really have a horse in the race but if I had to pick then this is the one I'd bet on...

Edited by GeoffH
  • Like 2

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Geoff, I don't read much about the virus because all the conflicting news or non-news. Have you found anything about taking more than one vaccine for better coverage? Not sure how it could be harmful but I'm no expert.

GeoffH
Posted
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Old55 said:

Have you found anything about taking more than one vaccine for better coverage? Not sure how it could be harmful but I'm no expert.

That's a really complicted area.  Generally the advice is it's safe to have multiple vaccines at once, in fact many vaccines are now combined into multi-shots where you have one injection and get 2,3 or 4 vaccines together.

But that's with vaccines for different diseases and you're talking about taking two vaccines for the same disease.

The only honest answer I can give is "I dont' know".

But if you don't mind me speculating...

The reason they're giving two shots is to maximise the bodys immune response and all the vaccines are aiming to cause a similar effect in the body.

It's my guess (and that's all it is) that someone who'd taken a properly administered and stored western vaccine with high efficacy (any of the Pfizer, Moderna or Astra Zenaca ones I'd say) wouldn't benefit from taking a vaccine shot from a different vaccine because the effect the second vaccine causes would already have been caused.

And if you've got a weak immune system then exposing your body twice isn't going to change that.

Edited by GeoffH
  • Like 1

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted
20 minutes ago, GeoffH said:

That's a really complicted area.  Generally the advice is it's safe to have multiple vaccines at once, in fact many vaccines are now combined into multi-shots where you have one injection and get 2,3 or 4 vaccines togehter.

But that's with vaccines for different diseases and you're talking about taking two vaccines for the same disease.

The only honest answer I can give is "I dont' know".

But if you don't mind me speculating...

The reason they're giving two shots is to maximise the bodys immune response and all the vaccines are aiming to cause a similar effect in the body.

It's my guess (and that's all it is) that someone who'd taken a properly administered and stored western vaccine with high efficacy (any of the Pfizer, Moderna or Astra Zenaca ones I'd say) wouldn't benefit from taking a vaccine shot from a different vaccine because the effect the second vaccine causes would already have been caused.

And if you've got a weak immune system then exposing your body twice isn't going to change that.

What you say makes sense but as you said we are not experts. 

• Like 1

GeoffH
Posted
Posted
3 minutes ago, Old55 said:

What you say makes sense but as you said we are not experts. 

True and honestly at this point it's probably something even the experts haven't researched (vaccine researches from one company are unlikely to have access to the vaccine candidate from another company at this point).

I think we'll have to wait until after several vaccines are in regular use before your question can be answered.

Snowy79
Posted
Posted

I'd wait for independent experts and true life results before going anywhere near a vaccine. 

I doubt any pharmaceutical company where they have probably spent hundreds of millions with the potential to make billions would release negative reports at the advanced stages of testing.  They know countries will put in preorders just to be ahead of the game. Throw out a few reports of stopped trials, changes to processes etc at the onset to make it look like you are being thorough while knowing no one is near production of a working vaccine. As time goes on start ramping up positive reports and watch the preorders roll in whilst having cast iron contracts if you don't produce a successful vaccine which allows you to keep the money. :whistling:

• Hmm thinking 1

Explorer
Posted
Posted (edited)
On 11/9/2020 at 8:04 PM, Old55 said:

Evidently vaccines are available in China and Russia now. The US and Briton will have one very soon maybe next month. Anyone thinking of returning to your homeland or some other country for a vaccine? 

There is proposal in the US to pay $1000 for people to get the vaccine, if this materialize it will be no brainer, free flight + free vaccine... I am sure many will take advantage of this.

Pay people $1,000 to take coronavirus vaccine and avoid 'a lot of angst': Economist

"The idea of paying Americans to take the vaccine has been floated as a way to achieve that 70% goal. Robert Litan, an economist who served in President Clinton’s administration, first proposed that the government spend $275 billion to pay Americans $1,000 each to reach 80% herd immunity in August."

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/pay-people-1000-to-take-coronavirus-vaccine-and-avoid-a-lot-of-angst-economist-152045202.html

Edited by Explorer
  • Like 1

Snowy79
Posted
Posted

I have to laugh.  As I clicked on the link to this post an advert for the Chinese vaccine showed up. Get in early while six fingered gloves are going cheap. :whistling:

chinese ad.png

• Haha 1

• Jollygoodfellow locked this topic