well connected place with view

Patryk
Posted
Posted

Hello,

I am considering move to Philippines to live there full time. As I seen on many topics better idea than searching listing online would be just asking local people about houses to sell. So far only Cebu areas is on my list as I would:

- be close to water- ideally sea view

-have good flight connections (as quick as possible to singapore/kuala lumpur/SE Asia in general) and possibly get fastly to the airport like 2-3h    (I have seen some island ferry which operate most of day hours- however not sure if it is reliable)
-avoid condos, from what I can see they are really overpriced, it seems to me like price for living in centre which is too busy

-possibly to get internet connection which allows watching movies/ get clear video calls

I have seen some houses which are listed really cheap like 200-700k php (small ones like 50sqm), which interior is just terrible- but with this price (if construction is solid) it would work for me. I could renovate it for my funds, do you think it is really possible to get nice home for 1-1,5m PHP if you renovate it by yourself (and hire local people)? Does you really need to pay much more for view? Also would you recommend any different areas, as the flights are reduced these times I am not sure which airports are nicely connected.

Also any Europeans which used to drive motorcycle at daily basic there?

• Like 2

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted

Welcome to the forum Patryk.  Foreigners are not allowed to own land in the Philippines.

Republic Act No. 7652 otherwise known as the "Foreign Investor Long-Term Lease Act" allows the long term lease of private lands by foreign investors of up to a maximum period of 75 years but requires them to register with the Department of Trade and Industry.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Patryk
Posted
Posted

thank you for replies, I am fully aware that I cannot own land and you need someone trusted to be in charge of renovation works. Naturally I would like to live in a rental place for a while. But as it is impossible to me to travel to PH at the moment I decided to ask here, it is quite confusing for me that similar buildings in same area can be listed with so different prices. I have some experience with local labour in Malaysia/ Singapore and some african countires and agree it is an experience 

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted (edited)

Hi Patryk, welcome to the forum.

You are not the only one confused by the prices in Philippines. There is no standard rental price structure and no way to know what other places actually rent for. Same with buying property. With condo prices you have a little better chance to track but can never be sure.

Being a Foreigner often prices are higher. Online prices seem to be higher as well.

Edited by Old55
  • Like 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted

The old adage about property is Location, Location, Location - same here.  If you due your due diligence than there is no reason you can't find what you're looking for but for a budget of 1-1.5m I think you'll be looking at starter homes with no added features and unlikely to be sea view properties.  Fine if you're willing to renovate but you won't change the location or the neighbourhood itself - no man is an island and that is particularly true here.  Neighbours will not necessarily respect your right to peace and quiet and may not respect even their own property. 

I didn't rent first but I bought from a reputable developer on a well-established development so I knew what I was getting.  

• Like 3

Shady
Posted
Posted

16 hours ago, Patryk said:

- be close to water- ideally sea view

-have good flight connections (as quick as possible to singapore/kuala lumpur/SE Asia in general) and possibly get fastly to the airport like 2-3h

-avoid condos, from what I can see they are really overpriced, it seems to me like price for living in centre which is too busy

-possibly to get internet connection which allows watching movies/ get clear video calls

You want to rent a house in Cordova. 

• Like 1

graham59
Posted
Posted

As previously recommended.... rent first.

Also, keep any 'spare' funds you have, back in UK/Europe , until you're properly knowledgeable about this country. :wink:  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1