Real estate lawyer fees

rustian
Posted
Posted

Hello,

This is my first post to this forum and I'm looking forward to be an active contributor.

My wife and I have been married for more than 7 years. She is from Cavite and we are looking at a property in Imus. I just need help with legal steps so I will be having a consultation call with a lawyer tomorrow. I'm asking to check on the customary fees on the following: 

1. Verify legal capacity of the owner to sell the property
  2. Advise on payment procedure since I have no experience with how this is done in the Philippines. Even with my own experience in three other countries, I have never bought a property from the owner directly. I either buy from the developer or through a bank.

So, I would love to get advice from members on the customary fees I should pay to the lawyer for the above. 

Cheers, 

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted (edited)

Welcome to the forum Rustian.

What you need is a trusted lawyer in the Imus Cavite area. Maybe someone here knows of one.

In my opinion I would be doing this face to face not long distance. Good luck.

Edited by Old55
  • Like 1

rustian
Posted
Posted

Thanks Old55.

My wife got me the consultation, so she is on ground already in Imus where she visited the law office. I requested that I speak with the lawyer myself. So, yes a face-to-face contact is there it's just not me. 

I will wait to see if any of the members would have some feedback.

Cheers,

RBM
Posted
Posted
14 hours ago, rustian said:

Thanks Old55.

My wife got me the consultation, so she is on ground already in Imus where she visited the law office. I requested that I speak with the lawyer myself. So, yes a face-to-face contact is there it's just not me. 

I will wait to see if any of the members would have some feedback.

Cheers,

There are to many pit falls here to mention in you paying and your wife buying land.

There is in my opinion no substitution other than being here  yourself. Lawyers can be ones worst enemies here.

rustian
Posted
Posted
20 hours ago, Snowy79 said:

Some of the steps you can do yourself. First thing is to ensure there is a clean title. The seller can authorise you to get a certified copy if he is the actual owner.  If he isn't you will know straight away.  The title will give you the real owners name and will also list any issues usually on the last page, bank loan, rights of way etc.  Once you confirm it is a titled property and no hidden missives the next thing I would do is pay a geodetic surveyor to ensure the house is build on the land it says it is built on.  I actually checked out a condo that was one of a 15 condo unit that had been built in the wrong plot of land.  After I found out I discovered there was a land dispute as another wealthy family had bought the area of land that the condos were on.  I pass the condos a few times per week now and they are all empty and going to ruin.  It turned out also they were constructed on forest land yet had received dodgy permits.

Thanks Snowy79. Most of the steps we need to take and you highlighted I already know now, except for the tip of hiring a geodetic surveyor. We will do that once we get the information on the tile from the register of deeds. 

• Like 1

rustian
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, RBM said:

There are to many pit falls here to mention in you paying and your wife buying land.

There is in my opinion no substitution other than being here  yourself. Lawyers can be ones worst enemies here.

Thanks RBM. 

My wife is going through the steps taking place prior signing the deed of sale. I will be there in a few weeks. 

Cheers,