Heads Up! Have you proved you are alive?

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Heeb said:

If you maintain a US address they wouldn't even know you were here correct?

I believe you might be correct. I maintain a USA address and have never received that form after several years receiving SS benefits. This is all news to me...

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Heeb said:

If you maintain a US address they wouldn't even know you were here correct?

Sure, you should be fine.  I didn't have that option as I was filing for my kids at the same time.

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

Auto replies might not be updated either.

Yes, of course.  When they get back to me, I will update everyone. 

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
37 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

Yes, of course.  When they get back to me, I will update everyone. 

But by then it might be out of date info :rolleyes:

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted (edited)
On 11/17/2020 at 7:35 AM, OnMyWay said:

That is strange.  Is this recent or from a while back?  I remember seeing that somewhere but I think it is outdated.  "Later this year" is now.

That was my post of September 11.  Here is a copy of the post.  I just sent off another email to the SSA in USA (instead of Manila embassy) to see what is the current status.

Back to the topic.  Earlier in the thread there was mention of the USA annual I am still alive report (SSA-7162).  Below is a copy of my email to SSA in Manila and their reply which I received yesterday.   So it appears the forms will be mailed at some future date.

My email:

With no mail service to and from the USA how will the annual requirement be handled?  I live in Moalboal, Cebu and we have not received mail for several months and outgoing mail to the USA is not being accepted by the local post office.

Thank you,

Their response:

Thank you for contacting the Social Security Administration's Federal Benefits Unit at the U.S. Embassy in Manila.

Due to the ongoing pandemic, the annual mailing of reporting forms SSA-7162 and SSA-7161 has been delayed. The forms will be mailed out later this year so, at this time, no further action is needed. To stay updated about what SSA is doing during the COVID-19 pandemic, you may visit SSA’s COVID-19 Updates page.

Edited by Mike J
Good suggestion from OnMyWay
  • Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

@Mike J  Mike, it took me a while to figure out that last post.  Perhaps you could italicize the old post, beginning with "Back to the topic".

• Thanks 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

Update.  I sent my e-mail to the embassy on the 16th and just got a reply.  Compared to Mike's September reply, now they have changed it from "delayed" to "suspended".  So, no worries this year.

Due to the ongoing pandemic, the annual mailing of reporting forms SSA-7162 and SSA-7161 has been suspended. At this time, no further action is needed and you will continue to receive benefit payments. To stay updated about what SSA is doing during the COVID-19 pandemic, you may visit SSA’s COVID-19 Updates page.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
14 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

Update.  I sent my e-mail to the embassy on the 16th and just got a reply.  Compared to Mike's September reply, now they have changed it from "delayed" to "suspended".  So, no worries this year.

Due to the ongoing pandemic, the annual mailing of reporting forms SSA-7162 and SSA-7161 has been suspended. At this time, no further action is needed and you will continue to receive benefit payments. To stay updated about what SSA is doing during the COVID-19 pandemic, you may visit SSA’s COVID-19 Updates page.

As Scott would say; "silver lining number 4" :tongue:

• Love it 1