Pork Ribs Dinner

Gator
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Old55 said:

Thank you! :thumbsup:

Good to know the "instant pots" are not the same as a slow cooker.  

You’re welcome. They do have a slow cook setting, but the bags for making cleanup easy don’t fit right so I just use my crock pot for slow cooking. 

RBM
Posted
Posted
On 11/16/2020 at 7:51 PM, Tommy T. said:

This is not really a recipe, more just a description of our meal tonight in the new home:

Pork ribs: 
First simmered in a bit of water at a low temperature for a couple of hours to render the fat. Seasoned with Lawry's seasoned salt.

Then slathered with bbq sauce... Sweet Baby Rays this time because that was all I could find at S & R last visit...

Baked at about 350 F (180 C) for an hour.

Potatoes:

Wrapped in aluminum foil added to the oven too.

Asparagus boiled in shallow pan with olive oil for just a few minutes, then drizzled with lemon juice, garlic powder and black pepper.

Potatoes will be drenched in butter, some garlic powder, salt and pepper, then grated cheddar cheese and sour cream.

A nice Shiraz rounds out the meal during these nasty Covid days and nights...

Having a new, personal venue makes all the difference today!

Cheers All!

Tommy you have and live the life of a KING....How I envy you....Not withstanding what has been endured to make this wonderful reality occur. Congrats again.

• Thanks 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, RBM said:

Tommy you have and live the life of a KING....How I envy you....Not withstanding what has been endured to make this wonderful reality occur. Congrats again.

Thanks for your kind comment, RBM. I do appreciate the support and helpful comments from you and other forum members.

However, we don't really live like King and Queen here, but it is certainly better than the unending construction phase of this project. And, believe me, we both really appreciate our situation and how lucky we truly are to have achieved this. We take none of this for granted. The home still feels a bit un-homelike as we become accustomed to the new digs. But we are getting there...

Now we need to buy the barbeue so we can grill some burgers or hot dogs outside then quaff some cold beers descretely along with them...

And I have said this before... If you are ever in this neigbourhood, please stop by for some cold beers and hot barbecue!

Two days ago, L bought us a 55 inch smart TV... Goodness! With the Fire Stick we are enjoying movies and I love watching the USA based "fake" news programs too...

Edited by Tommy T.
  • Like 1
  • Love it 1

Heeb
Posted
Posted

I bought an Instant pot off Lazada last year, the

price was decent if I remember.

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)
On 11/21/2020 at 6:16 PM, Heeb said:

I bought an Instant pot off Lazada last year, the

price was decent if I remember.

Actually, we have a rice cooker that L just bought for us. It is so easy to use, even I can cook rice "properly."

I will look into finding a slow cooker or crock pot. For me, I miss things like really tender beef short ribs and pulled pork. However I never used a slow cooker before, but ate things that friends prepared using them. Again, so easy to just set it and forget it. You just need a few fail-safe recipes and they really abound on Kuya G.

I am also thinking about a wood-fired oven outside that I might try to make pizza? So many dreams now. There is no pizza spot in this area for a long ways around. L always wanted to bake pizzas to sell and I am all for it, if we can make it work. Her co-teachers have loved the cinammon rolls, cookies and brownies I have baked, so maybe she can have a side hustle besides her teaching career? Yup... more dreams...

Edited by Tommy T.
  • Like 2

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted (edited)

Tom, an outside pizza oven would be cool to have. Would you use coconut husk charcoal? 

I've got a pork butt about to go into the slow cooker will post pictures in awhile.

Edited by Old55
  • Like 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
6 minutes ago, Old55 said:

Tom, an outside pizza oven would be cool to have. Would you use coconut husk charcoal? 

I've got a pork butt about to go into the slow cooker will post pictures in awhile.

L loves coconut husk charcoal. I am only familiar really with hickory, oak or other USA charcoals. (I worked in a warehouse slinging 10,000 pounds of charcoal per day in Chicago and was sick of it (and from it) at the time, when in university.) I am open to suggestions because I am truly ignorant about which wood would make for the best flavour for pizza and what is easily and economically available here. I also have dreams of putting together or buying a smoker for doing slow cooked pork or beef.

It is already looking like I will have more projects now that we have land and space to accomplish them. No more couch potato here!

Looking forward to your photos of the cooked pork butt!

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted (edited)

I saw a Kamado Joe along with mesquite charcoal at Ace Hardware last December. Pizza can be done in one but not exactly like a pizza oven.

I've got a Green Egg and a dual wireless temp gage so easy to use. 

Edited by Old55

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

About 10-12 hours on low it should be done.

9304E8B3-D1AA-4191-8E80-9F79A50E9243.jpeg

• Like 1