Manila Bay Dolomite Beach

Snowy79
Posted
Posted

Looking at the latest video from the beach it looks like even more good money is being wasted on a bad idea. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 3

RBM
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Snowy79 said:

Looking at the latest video from the beach it looks like even more good money is being wasted on a bad idea. 

No wonder The Philippines is often referred to as the sick country of Asia......Its mind boggling to think about the financial wastage here during this epidemic. 

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Sadly comments are turned off on that video it would have entertaining to read them.

• Like 1

jimeve
Posted
Posted

Bound to happen after a typhoon, Dolomite sand or not. Good to see the tourist police put to good use.  

• Like 1

• 8 months later...
KC813
Posted
Posted

This is going to be a story that never stops giving:

Rains bring trash, water hyacinths to Manila Bay 'dolomite' beach

Due to incessant rains brought by enhanced southwest monsoon, trash and water hyacinths were washed ashore in Manila Bay's "white sand" area or "dolomite" beach, according to Jonathan Andal's report on Unang Balita on Thursday.

Residents said the trash probably came from the Pasig River and provinces surrounding Manila Bay.

The mess will be cleaned up by marshals within the day, the report said.

A 500-meter stretch of coastline near the US Embassy in Manila has been filled with sand made from tons of crushed dolomite boulders from the Visayas.

The use of artificial sand has been met with criticism, with environmental groups saying the facelift focuses only on aesthetics and has little to do with rehabilitation. —KBK, GMA News

https://www.gmanetwork.com/news/news/metro/796294/rains-bring-trash-water-hyacinths-to-manila-bay-dolomite-beach/story/

There are Twitter pictures in the article, but I couldn't get them to post here.

• Like 1

Snowy79
Posted
Posted

It never ceases to amaze me how some people in charge rather than let their pride take a hit will stick by their original idea.  As anyone with an ounce of logic will know this vanity project is going to end up as money pit. For a fraction of the cost some waste land could have been turned into a beautiful park with trees for shade and nice flowers, fountains etc for the people to chill out in.

• Like 5

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
13 hours ago, Snowy79 said:

It never ceases to amaze me how some people in charge rather than let their pride take a hit will stick by their original idea.  As anyone with an ounce of logic will know this vanity project is going to end up as money pit. For a fraction of the cost some waste land could have been turned into a beautiful park with trees for shade and nice flowers, fountains etc for the people to chill out in.

I think you are wrong as I seen many projects all over Manila to reduce waste and also remove housing from waterways. Waste taps set up in waterways to help stop it from moving on but in conditions such as hard rain, wind etc then very hard to control.

Did you ever see the amount of people who would turn up every weekend to volunteer their time in getting the bay area cleaned up? 

• Like 1

Snowy79
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

I think you are wrong as I seen many projects all over Manila to reduce waste and also remove housing from waterways. Waste taps set up in waterways to help stop it from moving on but in conditions such as hard rain, wind etc then very hard to control.

Did you ever see the amount of people who would turn up every weekend to volunteer their time in getting the bay area cleaned up? 

Taken yesterday.  Eventually they'll give up or build a 20ft sea wall just to prove a point. 

FB_IMG_1626998992313.jpg

FB_IMG_1626998951471.jpg

FB_IMG_1626998947481.jpg

• Like 3

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
22 hours ago, Snowy79 said:

For a fraction of the cost some waste land could have been turned into a beautiful park with trees for shade and nice flowers, fountains etc for the people to chill out in.

And for squatters to set up their shacks, venders their food stalls on wheels, motorcycles to park their.....No good deed goes rewarded here. Frankly most Filipinos have just given up.

• Like 3

graham59
Posted
Posted

My wife's favourite expression... concerning such matters:

"They just don't care".  :sad:

• Like 2