Manila Bay Dolomite Beach

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
15 hours ago, Snowy79 said:

Taken yesterday.  Eventually they'll give up or build a 20ft sea wall just to prove a point. 

You dont get it and I give up.  Anywhere in the world has runoff from rivers or storm damage. So why give up? OK let's' close Boracay for a couple of years to see if the water  gets cleaner. Worked once did it not? 

• Like 1

Snowy79
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

You dont get it and I give up.  Anywhere in the world has runoff from rivers or storm damage. So why give up? OK let's' close Boracay for a couple of years to see if the water  gets cleaner. Worked once did it not? 

As someone living on Boracay I see almost every day basura washed ashore but here they have literaly hundreds of people out every day clearing the beach.  At times it's been worse than some of the photos of Manila Bay, the difference being Boracay usually takes in billions of pesos in tourism income so can easily afford it plus Boracay is only hit by a fraction of the polution of Manila. They also sorted the pollution problem first by cementing up every drain pipe leading to the sea and closing every hotel, bar and restaurant. Only those with their own septic tank or sewage treatment were left untouched.  

I have a friend reasonably high up in the DENR and she tells me they only have a limited budget which could be spent better elsewhere as in her opinion they are using a spoon to empty a lake and even if it was immaculate Filipinos don't like sitting out in the sun with no shade as they'll become dark. She would rather see the money spent stopping the polution in the first place and then maybe build a beach. After all you wouldn't respray a car until you get rid of the rust. 

• Like 4

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

I'm not so sure it's a bad idea. 

Many formal Manila Bay pictures will be taken including that 100 yards of imported sand along with millions of selfies. Sure, that would provide a false narrative but It's More Fun that way. :whatever:

• Haha 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

I think this is an area to the South, today.  From the MMDA Facebook.

This is why you don't to pour millions into an artificial beach that has no real purpose.

MMDA CONDUCTS CLEANUP OPERATIONS IN MANILA BAY
Metropolitan Manila Development Authority (MMDA) Chairman Atty. Benhur Abalos personally supervised the agency's cleanup operations at Manila Bay earlier today, as influx of trash was swept into the bay due to heavy rains in the past days brought by southwest monsoon.
At least 70 personnel from MMDA Metro Parkways Clearing Group were deployed to clean Manila Bay.
According to Abalos, two truckloads of garbage were collected in the area yesterday, or about 40 cubic meters.
Among the trash seen from bay's shoreline were plastic bottles, pieces of styrofoam and other debris.
"Plastics are the most common trash found in Manila Bay. Undisputedly, it negatively affects the environment," Abalos pointed out.
Moreover, Abalos appealed to the public to avoid throwing discards anywhere.
"Let us start a move right now. Behavioral change among Filipinos is key to address plastic waste problem in Manila Bay. Stop the habit of indiscriminate dumping not only in Manila Bay, but also on different waterways in the metropolis," Abalos said.
The MMDA chief also expressed gratefulness to the personnel of Department of Environment and Natural Resources and City Government of Manila for their clean-up initiatives in Manila Bay.
Meanwhile, Abalos said he have sought the assistance of the Department of Interior and Local Government (DILG), asking help from the policemen to arrest individuals who will throw garbage in Manila Bay.
"I've already talked to DILG Secretary Eduardo Año on this matter. Those apprehended would be obliged to clean Manila Bay," Abalos stressed.
2.jpg
  • Like 4

• 2 months later...
Snowy79
Posted
Posted

A bit of Deja vu going on here. This is following the last downpour, luckily we aren't going into typhoon season. :whistling:

manila bay.jpg

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, Snowy79 said:

A bit of Deja vu going on here. This is following the last downpour, luckily we aren't going into typhoon season. :whistling:

manila bay.jpg

When will they give up?