Do you have a plan in place for medical emergency's?

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, stevewool said:

In my case I have shown Emma how to dial 999 and ask for a ambulance.

That's Great over there Steve BUT......................................................:whatever: we know where we are EH?

• Haha 1

Snowy79
Posted
Posted

It has been brought home to me recently how bad the medical care can be here. I lost a good friend a few days back due to dengue with complications, my money on the complicatons say it was incompetance on the medical side.

He lived on Oriental Mindoro and was diagnosed with dengue, he's from the Puerto Galera area which is renowned for abysmal medcal care, his next closest option was Calapan where there are a few medium sized hospitals. He was admitted to one of the larger ones for blood transfussions etc.  By all accounts his wife was told he was recovering and she went to visit him, she wasn't allowed to see him as they said they were putting a tube into his throat.  The next thing they were telling her he is dead. 

I've heard a few horror stories from the area of avoidable deaths and one friend has been told his medical insurance won't cover him for medical treatment in any of the hospitals there. He has to get to Manila somehow.  This throws a few problems up as getting from Mindoro to the mainland 29km away can be difficult at times.  Only a few ships sail daily and while I lived there on average 12 times per year there are signal one warnings and no sailings are allowed.  These can last two to three days. Then getting from Batangas to Manila can take a further few hours.

Currently my only preperation for medical emergencies is keeping as fit and healthy as I can.  I've pretty much accepted that if it's a real emergency where I currently live on Boracay unless a bandage and asprin can sort it the outcome won't be good.

• Like 3
  • Sad 2

Philippine Paul
Posted
Posted

In regards to your item titled "Do You Have a Plan in Place for Medical Emergency's", what I can share with you has been discussed many times on various Facebook Veteran Sites.  If you are Retired Military you then have the option of using Tricare (at Age 65 and older it's Tricare For Life).  Your dependent spouse (if an American Citizen I believe, as this has never been discussed that I am aware of) will also be covered. 

Shortly after our arrival, I learned that there were two distinct methods, as to how Tricare took care of Military Retirees and their Dependents here in the Philippines.

• The Demonstration Project (Luzon) - Began January 1, 2013 as a way to offer high-quality health care for eligible Tricare Overseas Program (TOP) Standard Beneficiaries who reside in the Philippines and receive care in a designated demonstration area. The specific program was designed for Military Retirees and their Dependents who resided on Luzon. All a Military Retiree or their Dependent(s) had to do, was to visit a specified Tricare Approved Medical Care Facility, produce a Valid Retiree or Dependent ID Card, pay the necessary co-pay and, get treated for whatever was ailing them. Upon discharge from the Medical Care Facility, it was up to the Billing Office to file a claim with Tricare to get fully reimbursed. However, due to problems with how several different Tricare Approved Medical Care Facilities were operating (overbilling was one of the issues), the Demonstration Project concluded at midnight on December 31, 2017.
  • The Non-Demonstration Project (Elsewhere in the Philippines) – This too worked similar to      what was explained with “The Demonstration Project” but Military Retirees and their Dependents didn’t have to show a Military Retiree ID / Dependent ID Card but, could visit any “Tricare Certified Medical Facility” of their choice. They would be checked in for whatever was ailing them and, at the time of discharge, it was the Military Retiree / Dependent’s responsibility to pay for all medical care to include prescriptions that the hospital issued, in cash,accumulating all their receipts for services rendered and then filing an on-line claim with Tricare to “hopefully get reimbursed”. (NOTE: In those days, many hospitals here in the Philippines didn’t accept credit cards. Not until President Duterte changed the law several years ago, requiring hospitals to accept credit cards.) Thus, among many Veteran Facebook Groups, it had been discussed, that every Veteran should maintain a U.S. Dollar Account with a minimum balance of $3,000. I personally knew of an exceptionally close Air Force Retired Buddy of mine (now deceased) that kept a $9,000 balance in a special U.S. Dollar Account for any medical issues that he might have had.)  The reason why I say “hopefully getting reimbursed” is because, on many occasions with myself (and others that reside in the Tricare Certified Areas), we’ve had issues on how to file claims, with many of those claims being rejected.  I only knew of one individual in our area, that lost his wife to Cancer, that was able to put a complete medical claim together, that resulted in him being paid back $50,000.00 (2,000,000-Pesos), as he had everything that was required to file a claim. Today, I still hear of other Veterans that reside in the “Tricare Certified Areas” that refuse to file a claim, stating that it’s not worth the aggravation and the paperwork to put a claim together. (NOTE: There is a Facebook Site referred to as the “Wall of Shame” (https://visual.ly/community/Infographics/social-media/facebook-wall-shame-facebooks-failures-criticisms-and-missteps) that was put together years ago, of the many issues that Veterans had gone through when attempting to file claims with Tricare.)

Upon conclusion of The Demonstration / Non-Demonstration Projects, everything was converted to the “Tricare Select Health Plan”, which went into effect on January 1, 2018. Like both of the previous programs, nothing really changed, as to the way members were being treated…just the way the bill is paid and proper codes being listed for whatever the patient was seen for.

• Tricare Select Health Plan (Luzon and Iloilo City) - All a Military Retiree or their Dependent(s) have to do, is visit a specified Tricare Approved Medical Care Facility, produce a Valid Retiree or Dependent ID Card, pay the necessary co-pay and, get treated for whatever is ailing them. Upon discharge from the Medical Care Facility, it’s up to the Billing Office to file a claim with Tricare to get fully reimbursed.
  • Trica
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1