Do you have a plan in place for medical emergency's?

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Philippine Paul said:

In regards to your item titled "Do You Have a Plan in Place for Medical Emergency's", what I can share with you has been discussed many times on various Facebook Veteran Sites.  If you are Retired Military you then have the option of using Tricare (at Age 65 and older it's Tricare For Life).  Your dependent spouse (if an American Citizen I believe, as this has never been discussed that I am aware of) will also be covered. 

Shortly after our arrival, I learned that there were two distinct methods, as to how Tricare took care of Military Retirees and their Dependents here in the Philippines.

• The Demonstration Project (Luzon) - Began January 1, 2013 as a way to offer high-quality health care for eligible Tricare Overseas Program (TOP) Standard Beneficiaries who reside in the Philippines and receive care in a designated demonstration area. The specific program was designed for Military Retirees and their Dependents who resided on Luzon. All a Military Retiree or their Dependent(s) had to do, was to visit a specified Tricare Approved Medical Care Facility, produce a Valid Retiree or Dependent ID Card, pay the necessary co-pay and, get treated for whatever was ailing them. Upon discharge from the Medical Care Facility, it was up to the Billing Office to file a claim with Tricare to get fully reimbursed. However, due to problems with how several different Tricare Approved Medical Care Facilities were operating (overbilling was one of the issues), the Demonstration Project concluded at midnight on December 31, 2017.
  • The Non-Demonstration Project (Elsewhere in the Philippines) – This too worked similar to      what was explained with “The Demonstration Project” but Military Retirees and their Dependents didn’t have to show a Military Retiree ID / Dependent ID Card but, could visit any “Tricare Certified Medical Facility” of their choice. They would be checked in for whatever was ailing them and, at the time of discharge, it was the Military Retiree / Dependent’s responsibility to pay for all medical care to include prescriptions that the hospital issued, in cash,accumulating all their receipts for services rendered and then filing an on-line claim with Tricare to “hopefully get reimbursed”. (NOTE: In those days, many hospitals here in the Philippines didn’t accept credit cards. Not until President Duterte changed the law several years ago, requiring hospitals to accept credit cards.) Thus, among many Veteran Facebook Groups, it had been discussed, that every Veteran should maintain a U.S. Dollar Account with a minimum balance of $3,000. I personally knew of an exceptionally close Air Force Retired Buddy of mine (now deceased) that kept a $9,000 balance in a special U.S. Dollar Account for any medical issues that he might have had.)  The reason why I say “hopefully getting reimbursed” is because, on many occasions with myself (and others that reside in the Tricare Certified Areas), we’ve had issues on how to file claims, with many of those claims being rejected.  I only knew of one individual in our area, that lost his wife to Cancer, that was able to put a complete medical claim together, that resulted in him being paid back $50,000.00 (2,000,000-Pesos), as he had everything that was required to file a claim. Today, I still hear of other Veterans that reside in the “Tricare Certified Areas” that refuse to file a claim, stating that it’s not worth the aggravation and the paperwork to put a claim together. (NOTE: There is a Facebook Site referred to as the “Wall of Shame” (https://visual.ly/community/Infographics/social-media/facebook-wall-shame-facebooks-failures-criticisms-and-missteps) that was put together years ago, of the many issues that Veterans had gone through when attempting to file claims with Tricare.)

Upon conclusion of The Demonstration / Non-Demonstration Projects, everything was converted to the “Tricare Select Health Plan”, which went into effect on January 1, 2018. Like both of the previous programs, nothing really changed, as to the way members were being treated…just the way the bill is paid and proper codes being listed for whatever the patient was seen for.

• Tricare Select Health Plan (Luzon and Iloilo City) - All a Military Retiree or their Dependent(s) have to do, is visit a specified Tricare Approved Medical Care Facility, produce a Valid Retiree or Dependent ID Card, pay the necessary co-pay and, get treated for whatever is ailing them. Upon discharge from the Medical Care Facility, it’s up to the Billing Office to file a claim with Tricare to get fully reimbursed.
  • Trica

Hi Paul...

Perhaps I am missing the point of the OP original post.. and it definitly would not be the first time...

I am seeing it as more - what happens or what do you do when the s*** hits the fan when or if you are home alone or with your significant other?

Whether you are or not a military or former military veteran...If you or I get sick, we may need attention... simple and plain to me...

Edited by Tommy T.
  • Like 3

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

Speaking of plans, or lack thereof.....

This past weekend, a friend of a friend here is Subic Bay Freeport didn't make it to a hospital in time.  I think he is Pakistani and middle aged, and had cancer.

He started having a super high blood pressure incident.  They took him to ACE Baypointe Hospital Emergency, and for what ever reason, he was refused.  So they drove him to Manila, and he didn't make it.  Not sure why they did not try Medical City Clark or another local hospital in Olongapo.

ACE Baypointe is not really a hospital now, so that may be why he was refused.  This topic and that story make me realize I need to have a plan.

• Like 2

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
On 11/18/2020 at 4:34 PM, Jack Peterson said:

we live 5 mins ( walking) from the Barangay Health Centre where the Ambulance is kept with 24 hour driver and nurse  Staff, we live approx 4 km from the Silliman Medical Centre and would pass the new ACE Hospital should it go pear shape on the way So, I think I have a Plan

Although Jack that is good, but not good if you and the family are on an outing 2 hours from home. Who knows where a medical emergency will come from, car accident, shooting, heart attack but more importantly it's a good chance you wont be at home when it happens so even if a hospital is over the road it may not help on the day.

Yes I know, being negative and if there was an emergency while at home you may be OK so plan is good for that.

Personally I have no plans, I say bury me in the backyard, she says we dont have one so I give up :smile:

• Like 4

Philippine Paul
Posted
Posted
17 hours ago, Tommy T. said:

Hi Paul...

Perhaps I am missing the point of the OP original post.. and it definitly would not be the first time...

I am seeing it as more - what happens or what do you do when the s*** hits the fan when or if you are home alone or with your significant other?

Whether you are or not a military or former military veteran...If you or I get sick, we may need attention... simple and plain to me...

Well Tommy,

Then, it may be to your benefit, to sign-up for alternative medical care to help defray the cost of any medical bills that you may encumber. Additionally, it's highly suggested by other Expat Groups, that you maintain at a minimum $3,000 in a U.S. Dollar Philippine Bank Account for any type of Emergencies that may arise.  Hopefully, your "significant other" is listed as a Joint Account Holder, so she'll be able to withdraw funds to pay your final bill upon checkout from the Medical Care Facility.  Personally, I wouldn't want to have that much money stashed away in your home, as it's a clear invitation to would-be burglars, to snatch those funds and, never see it again.  The other option is to have a High Limit Credit Card with a low APR (like we also have) so, we are ready for whatever type of emergency situation that may arise.  Please note, it's a 30-minute drive to the nearest hospital, so you may wish to have someone that car provide emergency transportation to the nearest and best Medical Care Facility that you hope to seek Medical Care at. It has been discussed in the past on other Expat and Veteran Sites, that if you are lucky to get an ambulance, you will most likely be dead by the time you reach the hospital. (NOTE: As mentioned, "if" you are a Senior Citizen like me, then the fee is much less. All you need to do is provide a copy of your ACR-I Card, which shows the current date of birth on the card (to either your family physician or with whatever hospital / medical provider that you are going to be seen at). Once the Medical Provider’s staff gets to know you better, they won’t ask for your ACR-I Card. There is a 10% Discount when you use your ACR-I Card.)

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

Although Jack that is good, but not good if you and the family are on an outing 2 hours from home.

Well that can happen to anyone and anywhere but I take your point :wink:

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
20 minutes ago, Snowy79 said:

75% of deaths 

72% of injury related deaths occur in the home so my plan is to keep away from my home as much as possible. :whistling: 

I would have thought less But....... the do say that over a 1/3 of accidents happen within 5 mins of leaving home and knowing my luck I would be in an Ambulance taking me away within that 1/3. they also reckon that they happen also within  5 mile radius of Home :shock_40_anim_gif:  

• Haha 1

RBM
Posted
Posted
On 11/22/2020 at 9:14 AM, Snowy79 said:

Currently my only preperation for medical emergencies is keeping as fit and healthy as I can.  I've pretty much accepted that if it's a real emergency where I currently live on Boracay unless a bandage and asprin can sort it the outcome won't be good.

Yes mirrors my thoughts exactly, being a senior and unable to access my former health insurance is a concern. Further not being eligible for a pension adds to the concern knowing hospital costs here.

Currently doing all I am able in line with the comments of Snowy, good food and exercise, if something major happens its good by. Would I want to linger as a burden....NO NO No

As a consolation still having a Kiwi passport does allow any surgery in NZ at no cost ..Still getting there currently is next to impossible.

• Like 1

jimeve
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, Philippine Paul said:

. There is a 10% Discount when you use your ACR-I Card.)

Never knew that. Is that on top of using Phil-health?

jpbago
Posted
Posted
10 hours ago, RBM said:

As a consolation still having a Kiwi passport does allow any surgery in NZ at no cost ..Still getting there currently is next to impossible.

If one has been out of country for 3 years, are they covered immediately upon returning?

In Canada, we are not covered for the 1st 3 months upon returning.