Do you have a plan in place for medical emergency's?

hk blues
Posted
Posted
On 11/26/2020 at 7:23 AM, Tommy T. said:

So, as Snowy and RBM post, I agree that trying to stay healthy in the first place seems to be the best plan. Living some distance from good care is a risk we are willing to live with at this time. I do miss the feelings of being immortal back a few decades ago!

With the best will in the world, Tom, staying healthy isn't going to help if you are involved in an accident. Add to the fact that with age comes health issues regardless. No amount if couscous or salad is going to save you in the long term!

• Like 2

RBM
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, hk blues said:

With the best will in the world, Tom, staying healthy isn't going to help if you are involved in an accident. Add to the fact that with age comes health issues regardless. No amount if couscous or salad is going to save you in the long term!

Correct how ever with care perhaps we can age more gracefully HK without enduring the many issues proven to be linked to an unhealthy life style. My goal is not longativity just to try an be active going into the final stretch.

Accidents sure,  can happen anywhere, that's why I have my younger partners arm firmly grasped when crossing roads here.

• Like 2

hk blues
Posted
Posted
18 minutes ago, RBM said:

Correct how ever with care perhaps we can age more gracefully HK without enduring the many issues proven to be linked to an unhealthy life style. My goal is not longativity just to try an be active going into the final stretch.

Accidents sure,  can happen anywhere, that's why I have my younger partners arm firmly grasped when crossing roads here.

Yes, agreed. I just don't think it's a great plan to deal with an emergency by saying I'll not have one, RBM.

• Like 2

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, hk blues said:

I understand and accept that completely, HK. I am willing to take certain chances... (and I don't usually eat couscous! But we did have salad last night - albeit with fatty and a bit sweet dressing!).

Sure, either or both of us might be in an accident, a tsunami might invade (although not so likely at 330 meters!), lightning might strike, a jetliner might crash or...or....?

Like I said before... I took off sailing into areas where one cannot dial 911. If something had happened, then we were on our own. However, we prepared quite well then.

So I see the same concept here. Up to a point, we can only do the best we can as we practice medicine without a license. We have prepared quite well, but then?... Out of our hands after doing whatever we can do. We refuse to live in fear, however we try to not take unnecessary chances - we are super cautious regarding the current "plague," and we will take vaccinations when they seem appropriate for us.

We have a fair amount of supplies plus we both have, at least, lifesaving, medical training. If we add the oxygen and defib gear and keep up reading medical texts? Maybe that will help.? If things become more complicated, I can avail of Medicare (as a US citizen) and L has insurance through her government employment (although rather limited) if either requires care for chronic illness.]

We don't pretend to know all, see all and be prepared for all, but do the best we can. Neither of us will move into a neighbourhood or country just to be next to a hospital or high quality medical care... There really are limits...

• Like 3
  • Love it 1

Philippine Paul
Posted
Posted
11 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

The Medical City in Clark is also top notch.  I stayed there for 3 nights when I had shoulder surgery.  However, it is a 1 hour drive from our house so that makes it difficult in an emergency.  They take credit cards too, whereas some local hospitals do not.  When my kids were born at Lourdes Hospital, I had to put down a cash deposit.

Very sorry for the loss of your wife.  Was she treated here in the Philippines or some other place?

My former spouse was South Korean-American and died in Sacramento, CA where she was employed as an Operating Room Surgical Nurse.  All her hospitalization was at Mercy General Hospital (where she was employed) in Sacramento, CA whereas her Chemotherapy was performed at Sutter General Cancer Research Hospital.  

Thanks for the condolences hk blues, as I lost her over 14-years ago.

11 hours ago, RBM said:

Interesting, I was of view it is unwise to indicate to a BI official upon entry as a tourist that one wishes to stay longer on same visa. In fact may on this site have written about difficulty is the officer suspects same.

Maybe the laws have changed or my info is incorrect, my understanding is the ACI card can only be issued after one completes his first extension application, not upon entry, would be interesting as nice to complete all upon entry.

Regarding superannuation from Aussie and NZ. Both countries have strict residency requirements that must be met  before being eligible. NZ is far stricter in this regards. if eligible one can continue to drawer this benefit when abroad however  it is reduced. Not able to comment regarding Australia, could perhaps be similar.

9 hours ago, hk blues said:

Not sure about other countries, but in the UK we use the term senior citizen to describe people of retirement age - it's nothing to do with citizenship. 

9 hours ago, hk blues said:

Not sure about other countries, but in the UK we use the term senior citizen to describe people of retirement age - it's nothing to do with citizenship. 

Well, from my understanding, if you are on a 13A (as I am) or a 13G Permanent Resident Visa, you are considered to be a Citizen of the Philippines once you attain Age 60.  However, in no way are any foreigners allowed to have a Philippine Senior Citizen ID Card, as that is strictly taboo and is only meant for Philippine Citizens.  Thus, the next best thing to have in your possession is an ACR-I Card, which still avails you the 10% Medical Discount like the Philippine Senior Citizen ID Card has to offer.

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
On 11/26/2020 at 8:00 AM, Philippine Paul said:

However, to sum up this message, I know that there are certain medical conditions that I wouldn't want to be treated for..

Paul...

I feel for your losses and all the hassles and grief you have suffered through.

First off... thank you for your military service. You certainly did not deserve to get ill, beyond your "normal" service activities.

And secondly, it is so sad regarding your wife's illness and suffering. I cannot fathom the grief you endured through that. I can only hope that your future will improve for you...

• Like 1
  • Love it 1

RBM
Posted
Posted
12 hours ago, Philippine Paul said:

My former spouse was South Korean-American and died in Sacramento, CA where she was employed as an Operating Room Surgical Nurse.  All her hospitalization was at Mercy General Hospital (where she was employed) in Sacramento, CA whereas her Chemotherapy was performed at Sutter General Cancer Research Hospital.  

Thanks for the condolences hk blues, as I lost her over 14-years ago.

Well, from my understanding, if you are on a 13A (as I am) or a 13G Permanent Resident Visa, you are considered to be a Citizen of the Philippines once you attain Age 60.  However, in no way are any foreigners allowed to have a Philippine Senior Citizen ID Card, as that is strictly taboo and is only meant for Philippine Citizens.  Thus, the next best thing to have in your possession is an ACR-I Card, which still avails you the 10% Medical Discount like the Philippine Senior Citizen ID Card has to offer.

Thank you for this, would you be able to provide us any links or reference for this 10% discount pertaining to foreigners with ACI card. My reason for asking is I was refused any discount even though my senior years were obvious plus they had a copy of passport and ACI card. Happened few years ago so perhaps times have changed.....for the better.

• Like 2

RBM
Posted
Posted
19 hours ago, hk blues said:

Yes, agreed. I just don't think it's a great plan to deal with an emergency by saying I'll not have one, RBM.

Again HK totally agree, can happen to anyone at any time. Still I try not to dwell on this issue and  keep a positive attitude. 

This covid has really screwed us up, for years was covered under 1 cover whom were excellent, recently they toughened up. Now totally no cover at all for Kiwis going abroad.

Going to do the home work on Phill health as understand its available for foreigners and pays 30% of bill.

• Like 2

jimeve
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, RBM said:

Going to do the home work on Phill health as understand its available for foreigners and pays 30% of bill.

Phil-health pays 50% of hospital bill only. Doctors and drugs is paid by the patient.

But go ahead and do your homework, keep us updated.

• Like 2

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, jimeve said:

Phil-health pays 50% of hospital bill only. Doctors and drugs is paid by the patient.

But go ahead and do your homework, keep us updated.

Not exactly true.  Like most insurance, it is confusing as all heck!  Philhealth does do some other things that save you money.

When I had my shoulder surgery, the surgeon's fee was 85624 less Philhealth deduction 15264 = 70,000.  My anesthesiologist was 45416 less Philhealth deduction 10416 = 35000.  So I think Philhealth has some caps on procedures even if they don't cover the procedure.  They take quite some time to review the bill on the day you are checking out.

My hospital bill (without professional fees) was 108,430.82 total.  Philhealth covered 21300., so final was 87139.  Looking at the bill now, I have no idea how that 21300 was calculated.  My wife reviewed the bill when we checked out and we asked some questions, but I can't remember the details.  I certainly did not get 50% off the hospital bill.  I think Philhealth is mainly covering the room and board???

• Like 3