Advice on How to Properly Setup an Expandable Website? (Designing Phase)

jamesmusslewhite
Posted
Posted

Well while I am trying to tackle HTML5, CSS, CSS Grid, CSS Flexbox and a few Java tricks; I am also learning how to use a web editor called 'Visual Studio Code', and the webbing features of both Goggle's Chrome web browser and those of Firefox. I have been knee-deep sorting-out how to integrate all these various codes, into a viable working coding structuring. Truthfully it is currently a bit of a kick in the balls right now. But I believe I'm muddling through the fog well enough, and I do love puzzles and challenges. I prefer a good old fashion brain-teaser, over a silly video game anytime. So I decided it is now time to increase the workload as to avoid reasoning-stagnation, writer's block and the dreaded intellectual-laziness. Plus it is a great time to start preparations on the begin the build of the forum site. I will use the WordPress interface provided by BlueHost, to build the forum site.

Presently I already have a sizable body of written work completed, just waiting to be uploaded onto a WordPress forum site. So it now makes far more sense to begin working on both projects. Continue working on the website coding and start working on building on the forum site. After all the end-goals are actually the same. Through simultaneously working on both projects, should in theory result in both projects being completed faster and launched sooner. The reality is that the main body of written work, must first be completed and posted onto the forum site. It is after all where most of articles will be chosen, and then linked to the website. Sort of the whole 'chicken or the egg' thingie. So the forum site must actually be completed and operational first. And as the forum site is the larger of the two projects, due to the time required uploading and completing articles, thread posts, etc. There will be plenty of time working on and perfecting the website code. 

So probably by this weekend this thread will expand to cover both the building of a website and a forum site. This should spice-up the thread a bit...

• Like 2

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, jamesmusslewhite said:

Presently I already have a sizable body of written work completed, just waiting to be uploaded onto a WordPress forum site. So it now makes far more sense to begin working on both projects.

Honestly I think you are setting yourself up for nightmares when there are better ways. Knock yourself out and remember, who wants to look at images all day? 

• Like 1

jamesmusslewhite
Posted
Posted
9 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

Honestly I think you are setting yourself up for nightmares when there are better ways. Knock yourself out and remember, who wants to look at images all day? 

In the end you may very well be correct, but my driven nature (anal-retentive obsessive) needs to know. I need to know if building a 3-screen row viewer array is even possible? With CSS Grid in combination with Java Script it seems quite possible. I already found a working example of the Java Script code, building the very same style of single-screen viewer I had envisioned. It looks clean and simple just as I wanted, and easy to add or remove imaged when ever needed, This would not be true if working with slideshow videos, and have far quicker upload speeds.

If you look at the last minute or so you can skip the code and just watch how the viewer functions. Now it is merely a question if three such Java code scrips can be placed side-by-side on a single CSS Grid Track? It certainly seems possible now with CSS Grid. Now if it proves successful as to function, than I am happy enough as I will finally know. If it proves to be a cool web feature than that is great. But if it proves to be ugly as sin and useless as tits on a bull as you predict, that is cool too as either outcome allows me to at least know. Failures add to the learning-curb, as I can just adapt, adjust and move on. I value your remarks and comments on this project chief.

• Like 1

Jake
Posted
Posted (edited)

"but my driven nature (anal-retentive obsessive) needs to know"?  Dang Gunny, I didn't know that you're becoming PC.  But I get your drift.  After all, this is a PG rating forum and you must place your weapon on safety.  What you meant to say is --- FU#@@&XXX/><!!!$#%!  

Edited by Jake
  • Haha 1

Snowy79
Posted
Posted

Now is probably a good time to set up a poll to see who likes sites with slides and who doesn't. As a side does each slide use a viewer's data when it changes? Filipinos are famous for having no data so maybe you're targeting a different audience. 

• Like 3

jamesmusslewhite
Posted
Posted (edited)
On 12/2/2020 at 8:23 AM, Snowy79 said:

Now is probably a good time to set up a poll to see who likes sites with slides and who doesn't. As a side does each slide use a viewer's data when it changes? Filipinos are famous for having no data so maybe you're targeting a different audience. 

Two polls: Those who actually likes slides? and Who actually thanks this old fool can actually build three of them side-by-side? :571c66d400c8c_1(103):

Edited by jamesmusslewhite
  • Haha 1

jamesmusslewhite
Posted
Posted

Well I am knee-deep on the PinoyAquaculture.com coding study, having found what appears to be over a dozen of Youtube training videos. Most have running-times of 2 to 12 hours so at this point my eyes are crossed. What must be avoided is boredom, intellectual shutdown or writer's-block. This causes unnecessary and unwanted slowdowns, stalls, drags shutdowns. To avoid this, and utilize the fact this project is actually two separate projects, the website as well as a forum site. It is an excellent time to begin the forum site project named PinoyAquaculture.org, allowing me to now start on the written body of texts, articles and miscellaneous other works. These have to copy&past on wordpress, sized and font, incorporated with the associated artwork and saved into wordpress formats.

What I envision doing is to pick-out a basic free WordPress forum template on BlueHost. And use it solely as a tool to write and post all my initial written work. This template will not be activated, rather just used to catalog and store files. I can be doing this as I am also working at writing and tweaking the .com website coding. then when I am almost ready to launch the forum site I will purchase a quality template. I have been eyeing this one for a while now.   

https://themeforest.net/item/metro-a-responsive-theme-for-phpbb3/4559274?ref=TechOriginatorWT.ac=new_item&WT.seg_1=new_item&WT.z_author=PixelGoose

but in the Dark-blue purplish color scheme as it is complimentary to the color scheme of the website template I drew. Both sites will use the same PinoyAquaculture logo with the only exception being one as .com and the other .org on their respective pages. Well that is my gang plan anyways, it has a long way still to go, and just because I map it out does not mean that is were it will end up...

• Like 1

Jake
Posted
Posted

Hey Gunny, I assume your target audience are English speaking Asians (PinoyAquaculture.com)?  Certainly there are countless farmers and fishermen that are considered professional in their field but cannot understand the English language.  It's like instructing a poor fisherman how to increase production with nice step by step photos and text, which he will argue that he has done his method for generations?  How would you entice them to come over to your website and capture them within 30 seconds?  

Perhaps a personal intro your extensive background, maybe speaking the local dialect(s).  Like a simple mabuhay and then show them your abundant harvest in HD time lapsed photography with healthier and bigger fish or crustacean.  And then some local testimonials of your methods and practices that have doubled their production.  

James, I have no doubt that you will accomplish your goal.  Just like sailors and marines, we like simple instructions.  I wish you smooth sailing Marine!  Respectfully Jake 

• Like 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, jamesmusslewhite said:

Well I am knee-deep on the PinoyAquaculture.com coding study,

You like to get you site name out there dont you. :whistling:  :stop_80_anim_gif:

Anyway the theme I have been using on different sites for years allows me if I wanted to but dont is add as many sliders as I want and set them all differently or however I want but sometimes people take the easy way or like to battle with the elements and thats their choice but not mine. 

Again a good theme has a page builder/content builder and sliders all built in. Just a matter of setting up what you want without any coding or at times just a bit which they help you with if needed or is explained in the documentation of the theme. 

• Thanks 1

jamesmusslewhite
Posted
Posted (edited)
17 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

You like to get you site name out there dont you. :whistling:  :stop_80_anim_gif:

Anyway the theme I have been using on different sites for years allows me if I wanted to but dont is add as many sliders as I want and set them all differently or however I want but sometimes people take the easy way or like to battle with the elements and thats their choice but not mine. 

Again a good theme has a page builder/content builder and sliders all built in. Just a matter of setting up what you want without any coding or at times just a bit which they help you with if needed or is explained in the documentation of the theme. 

I will gladly refrain from using those two terms as descriptive-modifiers again in future postings, and if you prefer to simply black-out or totally remove them all together, please do so, I will not feel offended in any way. Sorry. 

Edited by jamesmusslewhite
  • Like 1

• Jollygoodfellow locked this topic
  • Jollygoodfellow unlocked this topic