Vaccine

hk blues
Posted
Posted
6 minutes ago, Snowy79 said:

I think the survey needs to show how the candidates were selected.  On one hand they say 6% of 189,000 citizens and on another line they say they have vaccinated almost 30% of the population.  The population is over 9m, call it 3m vaccinated to keep it simple.  So by my reckoning they've plucked the results out of thin air.  

The 189,000 detailed were those who had received 2 doses, not one.  The 30% refers only to those who received the first dose only. The 6% were from those who received 2 jabs.  That is the whole point - a significant number of people became infected between doses, putting the UK strategy in doubt.  To be fair, many have called into question the UK strategy and this study perhaps supports that concern.

hk blues
Posted
Posted
4 minutes ago, TerryP said:

More likely it's the percentage infection results of people displaying symptoms who've had the jab or who've came in contact with others testing positive

More specifically, it's those who received 2 jabs rather than 1 only.

Terry P
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, hk blues said:

Seems the vaccine is more effective than efficacy results suggested only 2% infection rate after 2doses

The UK strategy can only be assessed in time. There are opinions from several experts ranging from it wont work to it'll be more effective

Terry P
Posted
Posted
19 minutes ago, hk blues said:

Reread your newspaper article again HK

According to haaretz newspaper a health ministry study stated 6%of 189000 citizens recieving first jab tested positive within 2 weeks

A Sheba medical centre study of 100 people showed 98% were protected after second dose

• Like 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
15 minutes ago, TerryP said:

Seems the vaccine is more effective than efficacy results suggested only 2% infection rate after 2doses

The UK strategy can only be assessed in time. There are opinions from several experts ranging from it wont work to it'll be more effective

Agreed - this is one study covering 189,000 people so too early to say but I'd have preferred the results to have come down in favour of the UK strategy even at this early stage.   

The issue we're always up against with the new vaccine and the fact it has moved through the stages ultra quickly means the critical mass of data built up over time isn't there.

Just to clarify - I am in favour of the UK option as I believe the benefits will outweigh the negatives but what do I know.

Terry P
Posted
Posted
Just now, hk blues said:

Agreed - this is one study covering 189,000 people so too early to say but I'd have preferred the results to have come down in favour of the UK strategy even at this early stage.   

The issue we're always up against with the new vaccine and the fact it has moved through the stages ultra quickly means the critical mass of data built up over time isn't there.

Just to clarify - I am in favour of the UK option as I believe the benefits will outweigh the negatives but what do I know.

None of us wants the UK strategy to fail HK. Efficacy results of many of the vaccines have set the bar high

At the start it would have been accepted that anything above 50% efficacy would have been a good result.

The UK strategy discounting the Israeli opinion sets first dose at 60% the world would have been delighted with that 6 months ago

I have no experience of the Israeli media but could this be a ruse to encourage people to take the second dose

Terry P
Posted
Posted
8 minutes ago, hk blues said:

Seems to me the article is manipulative 189000 citizens surveyed on what basis. 

98% of 100 people is just a joke

• Like 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
4 minutes ago, TerryP said:

None of us wants the UK strategy to fail HK. Efficacy results of many of the vaccines have set the bar high

At the start it would have been accepted that anything above 50% efficacy would have been a good result.

The UK strategy discounting the Israeli opinion sets first dose at 60% the world would have been delighted with that 6 months ago

I have no experience of the Israeli media but could this be a ruse to encourage people to take the second dose

I think a fair few would like to see the strategy proved wrong due to their professional pride having said the strategy was flawed.  

The problem is that expectations have been set at the 90+ level as per initial results - talk to the average Joe in the UK and they'll say "Huh...only 50% effective - I may as well not bother as I have a 50/50 chance either way".  

I don't really subscribe to the theory this is a ruse by the Israeli media as it's a qualified quote but who knows.  More likely  a quirk of stats due to low raw data IMO.

hk blues
Posted
Posted
8 minutes ago, TerryP said:

Seems to me the article is manipulative 189000 citizens surveyed on what basis. 

98% of 100 people is just a joke

The 2nd part 100% I agree - I wouldn't know about the first part as we don't have the details of what exactly that 189,000 represents.  I wouldn't necessarily assume it's a manipulation or not.  

Terry P
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, hk blues said:

I think a fair few would like to see the strategy proved wrong due to their professional pride having said the strategy was flawed.  

The problem is that expectations have been set at the 90+ level as per initial results - talk to the average Joe in the UK and they'll say "Huh...only 50% effective - I may as well not bother as I have a 50/50 chance either way".  

I don't really subscribe to the theory this is a ruse by the Israeli media as it's a qualified quote but who knows.  More likely  a quirk of stats due to low raw data IMO.

If they had stated the parameters they base their figures on and how they selected the study participants it would be more credible. Same as the efficacy tests of the vaccine since day 1. Russian and Chinese vaccines are being treated with massive skepticism because they did not conform to internationally recognised standards. Why should this report be given any credibility

• Jollygoodfellow locked this topic