Vaccine

Terry P
Posted
Posted

Something more relative to the Philippines and other nations falling behind on Vaccine programmes.

The World Health Organisation are calling for when nations racing ahead have achieved vaccinating health workers and the vunerable groups to pause their programmes and distribute Vaccine to the less fortunate nations.

If implimented that approach surely can only help us stranded elsewhere get home to our loved ones or indeed leave if that's their desire

Harking back to the start of this pandemic this seemed to be the accord of most nations rich and poor but it seems to have drifted off path to become a nationalist approach

The WHO stated individual nations adopting this approach are solving nothing other than a temporary respite for themselves from the virus and no financial gain if international trade cannot be effectively reinstated

Don't know if anyone wants to add to this?

• Like 1

Snowy79
Posted
Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, Explorer said:

I think you are on to something, personally I am not planning to take any vaccine but if push come to shove I will consider taking the traditional protein vaccines over the new experimental mRNA vaccines. Especially in remote barangay locations, it is easy to put a needle in my arm and inject this mRNA stuff but can you fix me if something goes wrong and the nearest hospital is hours away?

Es-58biWMAIRlwZ.jpgEs-58biXIAAd_Uf.jpgEs-58biXIAM37BU.jpgEs-58bkXUAAqXi9.jpg

The problem with those reports is they can be filled by anyone including anti-vaxers.  There is no way of knowing if they are actual true reactions.  That said I'd still be concerned about receiving a vaccine in the Philippines due to the chances that the vaccine won't be stored correctly.

The Vaccine Adverse Event Reporting System (VAERS)

The Vaccine Adverse Event Reporting System (VAERS) database contains information on unverified reports of adverse events (illnesses, health problems and/or symptoms) following immunization with US-licensed vaccines. Reports are accepted from anyone and can be submitted electronically at www.vaers.hhs.gov.

Edited by Snowy79

Snowy79
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, TerryP said:

Something more relative to the Philippines and other nations falling behind on Vaccine programmes.

The World Health Organisation are calling for when nations racing ahead have achieved vaccinating health workers and the vunerable groups to pause their programmes and distribute Vaccine to the less fortunate nations.

If implimented that approach surely can only help us stranded elsewhere get home to our loved ones or indeed leave if that's their desire

Harking back to the start of this pandemic this seemed to be the accord of most nations rich and poor but it seems to have drifted off path to become a nationalist approach

The WHO stated individual nations adopting this approach are solving nothing other than a temporary respite for themselves from the virus and no financial gain if international trade cannot be effectively reinstated

I think the EU have shown their true colours with their approach to aquiring the vaccine.  Due to having to get so many nations to agree a purchasing strategy they missed out on early supplies and threatened the UK who got in their first with reprisals if they never allowed EU counties to jump the queue. 

https://www.express.co.uk/news/politics/1391289/eu-vaccine-news-article-16-northern-ireland-exports-astrazeneca-vaccine-latest-katya-adler

• Like 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
9 hours ago, TerryP said:

I totally agree with the WHO and would question the morality of anyone who doesn't - surely it's a basic principle that the strong help the weak? Sure, you can throw in all sorts of noise but that's doesn't change the concept. We're talking people here, not countries or governments.

However, I'm not a complete fool and do not expect any govt to pass on its supplies to another as there is no political gain to be had and plenty to be lost from a domestic perspective i.e. the one 99.9% of the population have.

I've said numerous times to folk back in the UK that none of us are safe until all of us are safe unless you live in a bubble or N Korea!

As for the EU thing, sure the EU are guilty of not getting their ducks in a row - another indication of the problems it has. But, you can hardly blame them for trying to pull supplies made their to themselves - every govt would try to do the same. And every govt would be wrong, of course.

The WHO should have had a strategy in place a year ago to work with the pharmas on equitable distribution of vaccines before they were available, not after. Another example that this virus really has underlined how innefective organisations are unless profit is a driver. 

• Like 4

Terry P
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, hk blues said:

I totally agree with the WHO and would question the morality of anyone who doesn't - surely it's a basic principle that the strong help the weak? Sure, you can throw in all sorts of noise but that's doesn't change the concept. We're talking people here, not countries or governments.

However, I'm not a complete fool and do not expect any govt to pass on its supplies to another as there is no political gain to be had and plenty to be lost from a domestic perspective i.e. the one 99.9% of the population have.

I've said numerous times to folk back in the UK that none of us are safe until all of us are safe unless you live in a bubble or N Korea!

As for the EU thing, sure the EU are guilty of not getting their ducks in a row - another indication of the problems it has. But, you can hardly blame them for trying to pull supplies made their to themselves - every govt would try to do the same. And every govt would be wrong, of course.

The WHO should have had a strategy in place a year ago to work with the pharmas on equitable distribution of vaccines before they were available, not after. Another example that this virus really has underlined how innefective organisations are unless profit is a driver. 

Up to this point there has been no display of anything other than the strong protecting the weak it just happens to be within our own borders ie vaccinating the vunerable first. With the exception of Israel and a few others who are marching ahead and vaccinating their whole population and USA who's policy is to not export a single Vaccine till their population is vaccinated. Unless that policy will change under the present administration.

I hope that when the vunerable are vaccinated our programme can be paused to allow "catch up". Perhaps there will be political gain at that point.

I fail to see how supply could up until now be made equitable. Every country and the WHO has it's own regulatory bodies working at different speed. How do you give a product to a country who doesn't want it then immediately accommodate them when they decide they do. EU a perfect example

The Philippines specifically have totally screwed up their acquisition from day 1 and have so many agencies involved in the approval process I'm surprised they have approved anything let alone 2 Vaccines

Speaking with the missus yesterday she says they are starting vaccination in her district next month. I'm not holding my breath on that one. There is no priority list in the normal sense she says she will be one of the first because the nurse is family. That one I totally believe. I think we all know the way this one is going

stevewool
Posted
Posted

Well I would like to have my injection here in the UK before it is offered to go overseas and maybe sold or given to someone who is richer then me or maybe because they know someone who knows someone and that way get it ahead of those who it was meant for.

• Like 5

Terry P
Posted
Posted
12 minutes ago, stevewool said:

Well I would like to have my injection here in the UK before it is offered to go overseas and maybe sold or given to someone who is richer then me or maybe because they know someone who knows someone and that way get it ahead of those who it was meant for.

My intention also Steve. Don't know which priority group you are in but I'm hoping vaccination and easing of restrictions more or less coincide.

There seems to be no official priority list there. Even if there was I can't see us foreigners being on it regardless of age or health condition

Kuya John
Posted
Posted (edited)

I digress slightly.....Sir / Captain Tom Moore in Hospital with the virus!!!!

British Expats will know he raised over £33m for the Health Service by walking up and down his garden path leading up to his 100th Birthday. and was Knighted by the Queen for his efforts

Good luck and speedy recovery Sir Tom :thumbsup:

Covid-19: Captain Sir Tom Moore in hospital with coronavirus - BBC News

Edited by Kuya John
  • Like 2
  • Love it 2
  • Sad 2

Clermont
Posted
Posted

Australia is sitting pretty as far as vaccines are concerned, next month we start making our own vaccine. What peeves me is months back, WHO agreed with all countries to help the undeveloped countries, what's happening there. Our pollies are fighting over when we should roll out our vaccination program, the EU is jumping up and down threatening to stop vaccines leaving their shore. And the third world countries will just have to manage the best they can, where is the fairness in the world, dog eat dog is a phase that comes to mind.:thumbsup:

• Like 2

Terry P
Posted
Posted
36 minutes ago, Clermont said:

Australia is sitting pretty as far as vaccines are concerned, next month we start making our own vaccine. What peeves me is months back, WHO agreed with all countries to help the undeveloped countries, what's happening there. Our pollies are fighting over when we should roll out our vaccination program, the EU is jumping up and down threatening to stop vaccines leaving their shore. And the third world countries will just have to manage the best they can, where is the fairness in the world, dog eat dog is a phase that comes to mind.:thumbsup:

Absolutely correct cleremont. That's human nature. I'd rather see your granny die than mine. 

My granny's safe now so let's save yours.

I hope now our granny's are safe we can deal with the rest.

That's the best we can hope for

• Like 2

• Jollygoodfellow locked this topic