Vaccine

RBM
Posted
Posted

I am getting more confused with the passing of every day.

Read an interesting article about Manaus in Brazil.  From memory more than one half the population were infected. As always by far the majority fortunately survived. Not so fortunate was a large percentage  were reinfected, thought the whole idea of the vaccine is to introduce the virus to reinforce and boost the immune system. 

• Like 1

Terry P
Posted
Posted
3 minutes ago, RBM said:

Read an interesting article about Manaus in Brazil.  From memory more than one half the population were infected. As always by far the majority fortunately survived. Not so fortunate was a large percentage  were reinfected, thought the whole idea of the vaccine is to introduce the virus to reinforce and boost the immune system. 

Were they vaccinated in the meantime?

Terry P
Posted
Posted
8 minutes ago, RBM said:

What's more confusing is how they knew half the population was infected

RBM
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, TerryP said:

What's more confusing is how they knew half the population was infected

Later will dig up the link and post it as I am tend to skip a lot of the info now days.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted (edited)

So are the Philippines ready to roll out?

By: DJ Yap - Reporter / @deejayapINQPhilippine Daily Inquirer / 05:10 AM February 01, 2021

GETTING READY A barangay officer appears to be getting a shot during last Thursday’s Covid-19 mass vaccination simulation exercise at Isabelo de los Reyes Elementary School in Tondo, Manila. —RICHARD A. REYES

MANILA, Philippines — The country’s vaccination managers need not “wait for the horse to arrive before they start building the cart,” but should begin preparing the apparatus for the mass inoculation program even before the arrival of the vaccine, Senate President Pro Tempore Ralph Recto said on Sunday.

In the meantime, the Covid-19 task force should start stocking up on vaccination supplies that are available in the market, Recto said in a statement.

“You don’t have to wait for the horse to arrive before you start building the cart,” Recto said, referring to ancillary requirements for vaccination, such as personal protective equipment or PPE, syringes, and refrigerators.

“There are also things [that] cannot be taken for granted, like transportation, and even small things like iceboxes needed for the last mile,” he said.

Government officials told senators during a recent hearing that the Department of Health (DOH) had a stockpile of 30.5 million 0.5 ml syringes, 3.6 million mixing syringes, 3.8 million safety collector boxes, 3.6 million masks, and 151,761 face shields.

The DOH claimed that the supplies were enough to meet initial vaccination requirements and could be scaled up if needed.

But Recto was not convinced, citing a “possible surge in cases on top of regular caseloads of public hospitals.”

“The other important thing is that this should be forward-deployed now to towns,” he said. “We cannot rely on a trickle-down system that will wait till the last minute,” he added.

“In the case of refrigerators that vaccines will need, there should now be a town-level listing of their availability. Vaccines are like ice cream, you don’t buy them in bulk without having a place to store them,” he said.

“It will depend on the type of vaccine. We’d be lucky if we could purchase vaccines that did not require ultralow temperature. Pfizer’s will need special equipment, while Johnson & Johnson’s reportedly has no need for refrigeration,” Recto said.

But the good thing about regular freezers is that “these are not single-use disposables like syringes,” he said. “So after the pandemic, they can still be used by the hospital or clinic.”

“So these, like masks, syringes, and PPE either have long or no ‘best before’ expiry dates. So better to have them in stock now, than waste precious vials of vaccine because a clinic has run out of syringes,” he said.

Vaccination plan
On Tuesday, the Inter-Agency Task Force for the Management of Emerging Infectious Diseases—the temporary body handling the government’s response to the coronavirus pandemic—approved the national vaccination plan, which the Department of the Interior and Local Government (DILG) released on Saturday.

The plan requires all local governments to set up vaccination centers and the DILG and the Department of Health to develop master lists of residents to be vaccinated, with the local governments doing the profiling and screening of target populations for registration and inoculation.

Priority groups under the plan are front-line health workers, senior citizens, indigent people, and uniformed personnel; other front-line workers and special populations; and the remaining population.

Monitoring
The plan requires the consent of citizens before they are vaccinated. It also requires informing them of adverse effects and potential risks of receiving the vaccine.

Part of that step is monitoring and management of adverse effects after administration of the first dose.

The government expects to receive the first shipments of the Pfizer and Sinovac Covid-19 vaccines this month. It is also negotiating for supplies of vaccines from AstraZeneca of Britain, Moderna and Novavax of the United States,

https://newsinfo.inquirer.net/1390461/recto-prepare-supplies-ahead-of-vaccine-arrival?fbclid=IwAR23GhKH1XjOn6fAgPKBYWWATlDgJB72CFaqbDwOu-V6zQyU5jr4zBhG0pg

Edited by Jack Peterson
  • Like 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
16 hours ago, stevewool said:

Well I would like to have my injection here in the UK before it is offered to go overseas and maybe sold or given to someone who is richer then me or maybe because they know someone who knows someone and that way get it ahead of those who it was meant for.

Exactly, Steve.

And therein lies the problem - ensuring the equitable distribution of the vaccine globally, and then ensuring the equitable distribution of the vaccine locally.  

• Like 1

Snowy79
Posted
Posted

I'm afraid if my experience of trying to book a RT-PCR test using Government approved and audited laboratories is anything to go by it's going to be a preverbial cluster fluk when they come to vaccinating people.

Websites not working, phones not answered or hung up on when you ask a question, false information given etc.

• Like 1

Terry P
Posted
Posted
13 minutes ago, Snowy79 said:

I'm afraid if my experience of trying to book a RT-PCR test using Government approved and audited laboratories is anything to go by it's going to be a preverbial cluster fluk when they come to vaccinating people.

Websites not working, phones not answered or hung up on when you ask a question, false information given etc.

Vaccine programme seems to be one of the few success stories of this whole mess. They are delivering what they promised and apart from a few Facebook warriors who would complain about the shape of their bananas there's nothing but positive feedback.

Track trace and test is another story.

Friend of mine is tested 2 times per week because of his job. I've been a hermit since Christmas day. We had a few beers together about 12th January. Totally illegal but after what I've just said,why not.

Next day he calls me to say his latest results are positive. Just as well he did. We both have the NHS tracking app and I haven't been pinged yet.

I call the helpline to book a test and asked if I have any symptoms

No is my reply. Just isolate for 10 days then sir any symptoms get back in touch.

If I can't catch it sitting in the same room as someone infected for 5 hours I never will

Thankfully none have developed but I don't know whether I have caught it and am asymptomatic or not. I thought track trace and test was the procedure. Appears they have left the last bit off and operate the first bit on a part time basis

• Like 1

Snowy79
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, TerryP said:

Vaccine programme seems to be one of the few success stories of this whole mess. They are delivering what they promised and apart from a few Facebook warriors who would complain about the shape of their bananas there's nothing but positive feedback.

Track trace and test is another story.

Friend of mine is tested 2 times per week because of his job. I've been a hermit since Christmas day. We had a few beers together about 12th January. Totally illegal but after what I've just said,why not.

Next day he calls me to say his latest results are positive. Just as well he did. We both have the NHS tracking app and I haven't been pinged yet.

I call the helpline to book a test and asked if I have any symptoms

No is my reply. Just isolate for 10 days then sir any symptoms get back in touch.

If I can't catch it sitting in the same room as someone infected for 5 hours I never will

Thankfully none have developed but I don't know whether I have caught it and am asymptomatic or not. I thought track trace and test was the procedure. Appears they have left the last bit off and operate the first bit on a part time basis

I think track and trace was just a method to give contracts to their mates.  As for the vaccine I'm sure the UK has it in hand it's the implimenting of it here that has me worried.  I've seen how DOLE failed to help many workers even though they had their details and how the Barangays can't even organise aid to their residents due to electoral registers being well out of date.  You just know it will only be given to registered voters within local government areas and in some places especially with transient workers there's thousands not registered.

Terry P
Posted
Posted
7 minutes ago, Snowy79 said:

I think track and trace was just a method to give contracts to their mates.  As for the vaccine I'm sure the UK has it in hand it's the implimenting of it here that has me worried.  I've seen how DOLE failed to help many workers even though they had their details and how the Barangays can't even organise aid to their residents due to electoral registers being well out of date.  You just know it will only be given to registered voters within local government areas and in some places especially with transient workers there's thousands not registered.

Excuse me snowy I was under the impression you were stranded here also.

I agree it's not looking good for any form of organised rollout there.

After what the missus said to me about the vaccination nurse being in the family I doubt even the WHO insisting upon health workers first it's going to make any difference let alone using the voters register.

It's not going to be done by the needy first either. It's going to be who's in the inner circle as usual.

IMHO

• Like 1

• Jollygoodfellow locked this topic