Vaccine

Terry P
Posted
Posted
27 minutes ago, graham59 said:

Well I suppose the PI 'authorities' have proven themselves stupid enough to bite the hand that feeds them before. :rolleyes:

So, turn away (vaccinated) citizens of countries who have developed and are (Du30 hopes) supplying the vaccine FREE, or at nominal cost to the Phils ? :89:

On the contrary Pfizer and moderna are not supplying at nominal cost to anyone

So far there is only vaccine through phase 3 that is at nominal cost

American pharmaceutical corporations are certainly not offering feeding hands

hk blues
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, TerryP said:

Hi HK

What I've said about the Oxford vaccine is all over the press here in the UK and international press releases

It's presumptuous to say proof of vaccination will get you entry. But what other way could it be

The fee? You guys know better than me but isn't there a fee for everything when foreigners are involved

I guess your 2nd line was really what I was getting at - until the gov't here state that I wouldn't assume it's automatic, Terry.  Probably will be, but...

Terry P
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, hk blues said:

I guess your 2nd line was really what I was getting at - until the gov't here state that I wouldn't assume it's automatic, Terry.  Probably will be, but...

Cup half empty HK

there has to be a devil's advocate I suppose but after what seems to be an eternity of not seeing an end do you not think it's time for even a little optimism instead of searching for the negative in this situation

So what if the decision makers there decide they are going to have a slice of the pie let's just celebrate theres a way forward

PaulB
Posted
Posted
10 hours ago, Jack Peterson said:

Paul, How do you think the Philippine Immigration & DOH will handle the No Quarantine angle? :89:

They will make you quarantine until they have the vaccine I am sure. Will take time for people to get a vaccine passport. 
I hope soon as need to travel to Philippines in Jan or Feb to report to immigration. 

• Like 1

Terry P
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, PaulB said:

They will make you quarantine until they have the vaccine I am sure. Will take time for people to get a vaccine passport. 
I hope soon as need to travel to Philippines in Jan or Feb to report to immigration. 

IATA members are trying to get a mobile mobile app up and running for vaccine passport first half of next year. So there's something occuring. Too late for your requirements perhaps Paul but it should be preceded by a paper copy surely

• Like 1

GeoffH
Posted
Posted
12 hours ago, TerryP said:

On the contrary Pfizer and moderna are not supplying at nominal cost to anyone

So far there is only vaccine through phase 3 that is at nominal cost

American pharmaceutical corporations are certainly not offering feeding hands

Only ASTRA ZENICA (of the leading group of early western vaccines) is a non-profit, the others are for profit (not that there is anything wrong with that), however there is an international group set up called COVAX which has funding from a group of western nations which is (or will be soon) buying vaccine shots from for profit companies and distributing them free (or at low cost at least) to third world countries.  I read somewhere that the Philippines had an allocated amount of 60 million doses (enough for 30 million people) which would cover the 'most at risk' population sector I'd think.

https://www.who.int/initiatives/act-accelerator/covax

Terry P
Posted
Posted
9 hours ago, GeoffH said:

Only ASTRA ZENICA (of the leading group of early western vaccines) is a non-profit, the others are for profit (not that there is anything wrong with that), however there is an international group set up called COVAX which has funding from a group of western nations which is (or will be soon) buying vaccine shots from for profit companies and distributing them free (or at low cost at least) to third world countries.  I read somewhere that the Philippines had an allocated amount of 60 million doses (enough for 30 million people) which would cover the 'most at risk' population sector I'd think.

https://www.who.int/initiatives/act-accelerator/covax

Latest I've read today is that private individuals in Phils with government backing have secured 2m doses with Astra Zeneca to be finalized 27 November to be distributed between their own employees and frontliners. It might be a bit cranky but at least that's 1m people out of the equation

Government is negotiating a further 20m doses with Astra Zeneca via public funds

Government say they have 73.2 billion peso budget for vaccine purchase. If they were able to purchase at Astra's price they could vaccinate the whole population for 30 billion. Even allowing for 73.2 being eggagerated and the under the counter payments there's still plenty of meat on the bone

Philippines has signed up for Covax and is categorised as a low to medium income nation so will qualify for the profit portion of vaccine that companies have set to be taken up by CovaxGAVI

Developed Nations are signed up to Covax and participate in the advance market commitment enabling them to commit to purchase of developing vaccines companies of which are also signed up too. Terms of which are advance payment of 1.6 USD per dose for 15%of final cost with an opt out should the price cost be more than twice the amount 21.3 USD

Astra is 3 USD

Sputnik is 10 USD

Moderna is 25-37 USD so they must only be supplying to developed nations

Pfizer is 20 USD interestingly reduced from 35 USD originally publicised

(Not that there's anything wrong with that)

• Like 2

Terry P
Posted
Posted
5 minutes ago, TerryP said:

Latest I've read today is that private individuals in Phils with government backing have secured 2m doses with Astra Zeneca to be finalized 27 November to be distributed between their own employees and frontliners. It might be a bit cranky but at least that's 1m people out of the equation

Government is negotiating a further 20m doses with Astra Zeneca via public funds

Government say they have 73.2 billion peso budget for vaccine purchase. If they were able to purchase at Astra's price they could vaccinate the whole population for 30 billion. Even allowing for 73.2 being eggagerated and the under the counter payments there's still plenty of meat on the bone

Philippines has signed up for Covax and is categorised as a low to medium income nation so will qualify for the profit portion of vaccine that companies have set to be taken up by CovaxGAVI

Developed Nations are signed up to Covax and participate in the advance market commitment enabling them to commit to purchase of developing vaccines companies of which are also signed up too. Terms of which are advance payment of 1.6 USD per dose for 15%of final cost with an opt out should the price cost be more than twice the amount 21.3 USD

Astra is 3 USD

Sputnik is 10 USD

Moderna is 25-37 USD so they must only be supplying to developed nations

Pfizer is 20 USD interestingly reduced from 35 USD originally publicised

(Not that there's anything wrong with that)

It seems like a perfect compromise to me

Developed nations government, corporations and philanthropy pay the profit the pharmaceutical giants desire 

Those who can't afford it get it anyway and the whole world gets rid of this disaster

• Like 2

Explorer
Posted
Posted
On 11/23/2020 at 11:00 PM, GeoffH said:

Sterilising immunity in the upper airways is not the issue under discussion nor relevant to the legal issue under discussion.

What matters in that matter is whether or not a 'reasonable person' would conclude that risk would (or could) be materially lower if an action was taken (in this case requiring vaccination of travelling passengers) and only a "on the balance of probabilities" requirement needs to be met not a "beyond reasonable doubt" criteria.

Because we're discussing civil litigation issues and why the airlines in and of themselves want to do this.

It is my contention (and it seems the view of the QANTAS CEO) that on the balance of probabilities requiring vaccination for passengers is likely to reduce potential harm to carried passengers (and that's all the criteria that's needed for it to proceed).

In other words the airlines don't need 'proof' they just need reasonable cause to suspect it will help.

According to arriving passengers study done by McMaster University in Toronto international airport, 99% of study participants tested negative for COVID-19 with 1% testing positive.

• Breakdown of positive cases by test period:

- 0.7% detected on arrival (61 divided by 8644)

- 0.3% detected on day 7 (23 divided by 6620)

- <0.1% detected on day 14 (5 divided by 5517)

With over 99% survival rate, draw your own conclusions... 

https://www.mcmasterhealthlabs.ca/pdf/MHL Border Study Backgrounder.pdf

Terry P
Posted
Posted
28 minutes ago, Explorer said:

According to arriving passengers study done by McMaster University in Toronto international airport, 99% of study participants tested negative for COVID-19 with 1% testing positive.

• Breakdown of positive cases by test period:

- 0.7% detected on arrival (61 divided by 8644)

- 0.3% detected on day 7 (23 divided by 6620)

- <0.1% detected on day 14 (5 divided by 5517)

With over 99% survival rate, draw your own conclusions... 

https://www.mcmasterhealthlabs.ca/pdf/MHL Border Study Backgrounder.pdf

Avoid shopping malls,theatres,pubs, gymnasiums and restaurants

Get on a plane it's safer

• Jollygoodfellow locked this topic