Philippine Paul
Posted
Posted

Hello and, thanks for accepting my new membership!

I am a Retired U.S. Air Force Veteran who made a decision over 10-years ago to permanently retire here to the Philippines with my Philippine-American Spouse.  We had our retirement home constructed just outside the Town of Clarin (North of Ozamiz City), Misamis Occidental, Mindanao between December 2012 and May 2013.  We made our permanent move here in mid-May 2014 and, have been living here ever since.  I am the former Moderator of Facebook Veteran Site) and, resigned in March 2019, as I didn't like the way this Facebook Veteran's Site was heading. Within 24-hours, I was contacted by another Veteran Friend of mine, who suggested to me, "would you like to create another Facebook Veteran's Site, with both of us being Administrators?" which I agreed to. Over the past 7-years, I have written over 118 articles as to what a Veteran (or even an Expat) can expect when making an important decision about retiring here to the Philippines and, I sincerely hope that I might be instrumental providing you with the same information that I have been doing so far.  Please note, that I also have a Veterans Blogsite, that I continually maintain, providing a vast knowledge of all that I have experienced up to this time, that I am willing to pass onto yourselves.

So, I hope to be a valuable team member / player to Philippines-Expats.com

Philippine Paul  

• Like 5

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted

Welcome Paul, looking forward to your input.  

• Like 1

Jake
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Philippine Paul said:

Hello and, thanks for accepting my new membership!

I am a Retired U.S. Air Force Veteran

Hello Paul, welcome aboard Air Force.  You and I need to swap some sea stories over pitchers of MoJo about Angeles City and Olongapo back in the day.  
Respectfully Jake (USN retarded)

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Welcome Paul we are pleased to have you join us. Many members here have served. 

Paul, please contact Jollygoodfellow in regards to having your blog and Facebook linked. The forum has strict rules to do with links to personal blogs and such due to spammers and others who wish to simply use the forum as a way to advertise. We appreciate that you clearly wish to contribute and welcome that. 

• Like 4

baronapart
Posted
Posted (edited)

Welcome Paul. Relatively new member and Navy vet here. Looking forward to your insights. My wife is from Salug, ZDN. Directly west from you.

Edited by baronapart
  • Like 1

Philippine Paul
Posted
Posted

Hello Jake, Old55 and, baronapart!

Thanks for welcoming me to the group.

Jake,

Thanks for your response!

First of all I don't drink (but I appreciate the offer) nor do I smoke or, have any other vices to speak of. Also, I have no stories to swap about Angeles City or Olongapo back in the day, as I had never been stationed here in the Philippines.  I WAS retired elsewhere here in the Pacific Theater with multiple tours to Thailand (in support of the Vietnam War...I am a 100% Disabled Vietnam Era Veteran that was exposed to Agent Orange); South Korea (where I had been stationed for 6-years and was happily married to my South Korean-American Spouse whom I lost to Stage-4 Ovarian Cancer in August 2006, after a long 4-year battle and, in Japan. Also have temporary deployments to Okinawa and Denmark too, with 5-assignments in Southern California (three of those assignments were all at George AFB, Victorville; first assignment at Norton AFB, San Bernardino; and, my last assignment at Edwards AFB, Rosemead).  If I hadn't lost the first love of my life, we would have happily been retired back to either Seoul or Incheon (where my daughter now resides and is employed), S. Korea. However, I was blessed by The Lord to find a wonderful Filipina (also widowed)...now a Philippine-American) and, after she worked for a number of years in the U.S. as a Registered Nurse (same field as my deceased spouse), we decided to retire back here to the Philippines, living in the same barangay where she was born.  We are 2-hours flying time via PAL from NAIA to Ozamiz Airport.  P.S. Both my Philippine-American Spouse and I are Senior Citizens.

Old55,

You mentioned, and I quote: " please contact Jollygoodfellow in regards to having your blog and Facebook linked". How do I go about doing this and is "Jollygoodfellow" a member of this site?  

baronapart,

I just commented to one of your posts pertaining to Medical Care here in the Philippines.  It was a lengthy response and, it will give you an insight as to what is required to live here.  Many Facebook Veterans Sites have discussed this issue over the past 7+ years and, the first thing that has been stated, is that ALL Veterans should have at a minimum $3,000 saved away in a U.S. Dollar Account for any type of medical crisis that may occur.  I know of one Veteran Friend of mine (now deceased) that had $9,000 saved in a U.S. Dollar Account.  However, this is well before President Duterte announced two years ago, that all Medical Care Facilities will accept Credit Cards, Cash or, Medical Insurance.  Prior to that it was CASH or Medical Insurance Companies. (NOTE: Information that I provided to you came direct from my Veteran Blog Site that I created earlier this year and went live in July 2020, with 118-posts / articles relating to what it's like to live here in the Philippines.  If interested, send me a message and I will provide the name of my Veteran Blog Site to you, as I know that I can't advertise my site on Philippines-Expats.com

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)

P Paul...

I greatly respect your experience and history. I also regret and commiserate with your personal situations...

However, I also welcome you to the forum and look forward to your comments and  offerings. I have learned a lot from the members here...

Hmmm... And @Jollygoodfellowhappens to be the manager of ths site and is also a mellow and considerate member. Please trust his guidance and comments...

Edited by Tommy T.
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Snowy79
Posted
Posted

Welcome to the forum Paul, you'll find a few ex Forces here.  Not many brave enough to admit to have been Airforce though. :whistling: 

• Haha 4

GeoffH
Posted
Posted

Welcome to the forum :)

Clarin is just north of Ozamiz where my fiancee has family and we visit sometimes (not right now because the border closure has stranded me in Australia for now, bad timing).  Ozamiz and Clarin aren't exactly an expat hotspot but it has a charm that's missing from the big metro areas I think.

• Like 2

Heeb
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Jake said:

Hello Paul, welcome aboard Air Force.  You and I need to swap some sea stories over pitchers of MoJo about Angeles City and Olongapo back in the day.  
Respectfully Jake (USN retarded)

I have many sea stories but because of my vices I can’t recall most of them.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

• Jollygoodfellow locked this topic