Post Dated Checks

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
10 hours ago, Mike J said:

I would not be surprised if you could then be charged with estafa.

Yes you can be charged with estafa for a check that bounces for any reason, including being post dated.  Been there done that but when the guy who issued the check has no money then it goes nowhere.  Those who cancel the check when they have money in the bank could be in for a surprise.

• Like 3
  • Hmm thinking 1

Shady
Posted
Posted
20 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

I don't think I know of an expat here who has a peso checking account.  Really no use for it except for this post dated check scheme.

I don't know a long-term expat who doesn't, renting a house or buying a house without a PH bank account (which include a peso account) isn't feasible.

• Like 3

Shady
Posted
Posted
21 hours ago, Mike J said:

your landlord would be pleased to have you get fed up and leave so they can rent the place again.  In short the landlord has no reason to keep you happy and every reason to see you leave even if you are a good tenant.

Any landlord stupid enough to not appreciate a good tenant has never experienced a bad tenant.

• Like 4

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Shady said:

I don't know a long-term expat who doesn't, renting a house or buying a house without a PH bank account (which include a peso account) isn't feasible.

Peso CHECKING account.

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Shady said:

Any landlord stupid enough to not appreciate a good tenant has never experienced a bad tenant.

I agree.   But we live in the Philippines where a quick short term profit often is valued more than long term business relationships.  

• Like 4

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

Peso CHECKING account.

I expect that many expats have a peso checking account and never, or seldom, write checks.  I have lived here seven years and I can recall a total of three checks written against the account.  Not a lot different than in the US where we used our debit card and paid most bills via the web.  

• Like 3

Freebie
Posted
Posted
On 11/27/2020 at 6:46 AM, Mike J said:

My wife and I have a peso checking account in addition to our dollar account.  I assumed it was fairly common.  :89:

Not only you. I use my peso account  for monthly direct debits for Globe and Globe wifi at home , Meralco, Association dues  etc. Invaluable actually. I never write checks anymore especially since the good folk at BPI said that to keep a checking account I would need to keep P20,000 in that account. Bugger that ,.

Especially now when places want bank transfers only and no cash possibility.

Was arranging a RT PCR for the live in whose traveling soon and no cards or cash accepted by the clinic, only bank  to bank transfer which can easily be done with peso account. Not forgetting the mastercard credit card linked to my peso account is very useful for local purchases, on the ocassions when my international mastercard and visa wont work for Cebu Pathetic and for some other locally based vendors.

• Like 2

baronapart
Posted
Posted

Thanks for the answers. Yes, I have noticed that rent prices have come down a lot. The problem is that they have made it more difficult to open a bank account in the Philippines on a tourist visa. I guess I can have my wife open one until I have my ducks in a row and can open an account myself. You would think that in the Capital area you would have some forward thinking landlords who would use more modern methods for rent collection. Sorry, just made myself chuckle.))

• Like 2

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
49 minutes ago, baronapart said:

I guess I can have my wife open one

BINGO!  Problem solved.

hk blues
Posted
Posted
21 hours ago, Mike J said:

I would not be surprised if you could then be charged with estafa. :89: