Balikbayan Changes (11-27-2020)

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, BrettGC said:

Not that I'm in the position to move just yet but at least these developments do give us options.  Married or not, it doesn't make it any easier being separated from those we love.

Brett mate you do know I guess that you can do your 13a in OZ, that at least will give you the IN when you want to come 

Terry P
Posted
Posted
4 minutes ago, Jack Peterson said:

Brett mate you do know I guess that you can do your 13a in OZ, that at least will give you the IN when you want to come 

Doesn't 13a only apply to married couples

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, TerryP said:

Doesn't 13a only apply to married couples

Yes they are married Terry, I know cos I was best man

10 minutes ago, BrettGC said:

I guess I'm lucky in that we snuck the wedding in in February. 

• Like 1

Gator
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, TerryP said:

Well guys

Seems like a bit of good news at last for those of us stranded abroad

A few hoops to jump through but a step in the right direction. You guys in the Philippines probably are better informed but it does appear a little more positive

Maybe I’m missing something, but I thought as of early August that foreign spouses were already allowed in. So what changes on December 7th? 

The only recent change I read about was the lifting of the age restriction for children of Filipino nationals. Now any age child can return as it’s hoped that would boost tourism over the holidays. 

BrettGC
Posted
Posted
33 minutes ago, Jack Peterson said:

PI missions in Australia aren't currently processing 13a but given the current discussion that may change soon... Or not.  It's more fun in The Philippines!

• Haha 2

Terry P
Posted
Posted
43 minutes ago, Gator said:

Maybe I’m missing something, but I thought as of early August that foreign spouses were already allowed in. So what changes on December 7th? 

The only recent change I read about was the lifting of the age restriction for children of Filipino nationals. Now any age child can return as it’s hoped that would boost tourism over the holidays. 

Check it out gator. I think you may find only ofw and Filipino nationals have been able to return to the Philippines with the exception of essential foreign workers, diplomats etc

GeoffH
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Gator said:

I thought that only applied if you were travelling with your filipino wife and then you could apply for a pre-approved 9g? visa... but with all the changes to the rules I've had trouble keeping track.

• Thanks 1

Terry P
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, GeoffH said:

I thought that only applied if you were travelling with your filipino wife and then you could apply for a pre-approved 9g? visa... but with all the changes to the rules I've had trouble keeping track.

I'm not aware of any circumstances under which foreign spouses up till now have been able to return to the Philippines

Like you probably have I've been following developments closely

Terry P
Posted
Posted
3 minutes ago, Eddie1 said:

Wrong.  Gator is correct.  As of early August foreign spouses and foreign parents of Filipino Children (Minors) have been allowed back in providing they secure a 9A Tourist Visa outside of the Philippines. Married spouses and Foreign parents of Filipino Children (Minors) are exempted from the no tourist visa ban. This change on December 7th is about restarting the Balikbayan entry. Simplified, if you (foreigner) and your Filipino wife/husband arrive together you will be granted a Balikbayan Courtesy Entry valid for One Year, just as it was before Covid.

Where was that little gem hiding Eddie missed that one mate