The roasted chicken conversation

intrepid
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, OnMyWay said:

We used to go to Andoks a lot.  They built a brand new one in the Freeport in about 2013.  Had a great air con upstairs dining room that the kids could run around in.  Closed last year.  I drove by another big one in Olongapo today.  Closed down.

Never ate in one of Andock's restaurants.  Usually we just grab a roasted chicken at the street market and use it on salad, sandwiches, and of course wife uses it with rice. 

• Like 1

jpbago
Posted
Posted
On 12/1/2020 at 1:54 AM, OnMyWay said:

Chooks to Go

They cook chicken and pork at the same time in the same small oven and it sits there in the oven until sold. It should be called Chork to Go. Looks like chicken tastes like pork. Close your eyes and smell it. My nephew worked at one.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Hmm thinking 1

RBM
Posted
Posted

Interesting as we just about to begin a mini chicken farm at my partners place. So much talk here about the commercial local chickens we decided to breed some for ourselves. Rhode island red chickens appear to be a good choice. Just going to start with a rooster plus around 6 or so hens see how it goes. 

• Like 2
  • Hmm thinking 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, jpbago said:

They cook chicken and pork at the same time in the same small oven

Maybe that is the secret recipe that gives it a unique flavor!

We don't have an issue with it sitting there all day.  At dinnertime, you sometimes have to wait for one to finish cooking.  Their turnover is fast.

• Like 3

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
24 minutes ago, RBM said:

Interesting as we just about to begin a mini chicken farm at my partners place

I tried that and failed.  They all died.  My mistake was trying to grow them past "scrawny".  They don't live that long. :chickendance:

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
50 minutes ago, RBM said:

Interesting as we just about to begin a mini chicken farm at my partners place.

Sorry RBM, but I have to ask... do you mean a mini farm or a farm with mini chickens, or both? Some of them we see for sale look more like quail or Cornish game hens.:89:

• Haha 2

hk blues
Posted
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, jpbago said:

They cook chicken and pork at the same time in the same small oven and it sits there in the oven until sold. It should be called Chork to Go. Looks like chicken tastes like pork. Close your eyes and smell it. My nephew worked at one.

Not in our one they don't - they don't sell pork! As for sitting around in the oven until sold - I wish; the problem with ours is they are so busy we have to wait for a fresh batch most of the time.

I believe they are franchised so each location will vary a lot depending on the owner. 

Edited by hk blues
  • Like 3
  • Hmm thinking 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
15 hours ago, hk blues said:

I believe they are franchised so each location will vary a lot depending on the owner. 

Chooks to go is definitely not franchised and for years have resisted. Its owned by Bounty Fresh chicken.

Every outlet should be the same.  Not sure if it's still this way but if I wanted to sell their chicken at one time I could if an outlet to supply raw products was close by then OK but your store can not be named chooks to go.

Looked into some time ago and dont believe anything has changed.

As a former charcoal chicken shop owner I thought about this but our western taste dont compete with the majority of customers which like lemongrass stuffed in the cavity so I doubt if I could ever produce something to suit the customers unless I came up with a sugar coated chicken. 

:turkey_40_anim_gif:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

RBM
Posted
Posted
23 hours ago, Tommy T. said:

Sorry RBM, but I have to ask... do you mean a mini farm or a farm with mini chickens, or both? Some of them we see for sale look more like quail or Cornish game hens.:89:

What I mean Tommy is to buy some Rhode Island hens from a free range chicken farm near by. Say begin with a couple of roosters and some hens for breeding.

Brother of my partner has been rearing local chickens for some time, they have enough land and time to raise ours.

Yes some of my quality feeds will no doubt go astray  (say it before anyone else) how ever if we can avail of a regular supply of chickens without being fed the nasties would be nice.  Very small investment and some interest for us both.

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, RBM said:

Yes some of my quality feeds will no doubt go astray  (say it before anyone else) how ever if we can avail of a regular supply of chickens without being fed the nasties would be nice.  Very small investment and some interest for us both.

It sounds like a good plan. I hope it works out for you! A lot cleaner than raising pigs!

• Like 1