Christmas Dinner/Lunch. Philippines only.

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

Been discussing our plans with the better half about food this year. She has different ideas to me. I wanted Turkey this year but she has never tasted it so that might fail.

She hates my roasted veggies mainly "squash/pumpkin", carrot and also not a potato eater but can eat fries  :mellow:

Anyway what's a good compromise?

I still intend to buy Turkey breast to roast as a full turkey just for 2 is to much even if its small. 

What do you guys who are here in the Philippines normally do? 

Jake
Posted
Posted
26 minutes ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

Been discussing our plans with the better half about food this year. She has different ideas to me. I wanted Turkey this year but she has never tasted it so that might fail.

She hates my roasted veggies mainly "squash/pumpkin", carrot and also not a potato eater but can eat fries  :mellow:

I still intend to buy Turkey breast to roast as a full turkey just for 2 is to much even if its small. 

A taste of both worlds -- bacon wrapped baluts?  

• Haha 3

Gator
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

Tater tots - similar to fries for her, mash with a fork for you, lol

Tell her the turkey breasts are just Kano sized chicken breasts, she won’t know the difference.

Butterfly them and roast over top of a layer of evenly cut pumpkin slices/pieces  or if available there, cut 2” thick cylinders of Delicata squash, remove the seeds (the skin is thin and edible), brush with melted butter and season with salt n pepper, arrange them on a sheet pan to roughly the size of the turkey breasts and then roast the turkey breasts on them (works great for a spatchcocked chicken too).

If she still doesn’t like it prepared that way, then need to have some other veggie on standby for her......or of course the old standby ........rice.  Happy wife and all that, lol.  

• Like 2

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted

Maybe tell her that roasted turkey breast will taste much like lechon manok.   And most Filipinos seem to like gravy, so maybe mashed potato with turkey gravy.  As far as a turkey breast breast being too much?  Every Thanksgiving I would look forward to having sandwiches made from the left over turkey breast, love them.   I do like the idea of tatortots in the previous post, used to order those as fast food in the USA whenever I had the opportunity.

• Like 1
  • Love it 1

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

Surprised you need to ask :89:

What ever she wants :thumbsup:

• Haha 4

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Gator said:

Butterfly them and roast over top of a layer of evenly cut pumpkin slices/pieces  or if available there, cut 2” thick cylinders of Delicata squash, remove the seeds (the skin is thin and edible), brush with melted butter and season with salt n pepper, arrange them on a sheet pan to roughly the size of the turkey breasts and then roast the turkey breasts on them (works great for a spatchcocked chicken too).

You got that from a cookbook, right :smile:

2 hours ago, Mike J said:

As far as a turkey breast breast being too much?

No I meant a whole turkey as to much. I can get breasts cut to size. Hmm quiet please :whistling:

1 hour ago, scott h said:

What ever she wants 

Well actually as she likes seafood I suggested Lobster so that might be part of it. In reality to me, just another day so I dont really care that much.  :th_thbarbaque:

hk blues
Posted
Posted

I've never been a fan of Turkey so we don't have the debate.  We usually go for for a chicken and ham combo with a mixture of seasonal veg.  Honestly speaking, even back in the UK I was not such a big Christmas dinner lover anyway so the whole thing is kinda lost on me. Strangely, I love the whole Christmas thing but it's not mainly about the food for me. 

Kuya John
Posted
Posted
12 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

I can get breasts cut to size.

I'm a Leg-man myself, but I can't get them cut to size :89:

As a alternative to Turkey, I much prefer a Leg of Lamb :thumbsup:

• Like 1

graham59
Posted
Posted

I send my Mrs off to the family hamlet/farm, where she can eat whatever orrible local grub she fancies.   :unsure:

I like to have my traditional beans on toast at Xmas... just to make my usual atheist point.   :smile:

• Like 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, graham59 said:

I like to have my traditional beans on toast at Xmas... just to make my usual atheist point.   :smile:

I take your point and I see the day just as a day to do something with family, friends etc and it could be any day of the year but I dont mind blending in with the rest to make it a good day. 

• Like 2