Christmas Dinner/Lunch. Philippines only.

graham59
Posted
Posted
9 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

I take your point and I see the day just as a day to do something with family, friends etc and it could be any day of the year but I dont mind blending in with the rest to make it a good day. 

Of course.

I would never want to hurt my family's feelings...or push my (unwelcome) views on them.  :wink:

Merry Christmas everyone !  

001_Santa_Dancing_zpsposmaclz.GIF

• Like 1

Gator
Posted
Posted
On 12/3/2020 at 7:39 PM, Jollygoodfellow said:

You got that from a cookbook, right :smile:

Although I’m sure recipes for that method abound in cookbooks, it’s an old family recipe for me.

Up until the mid 70’s my grandmother cooked on / in a wood burning stove / oven. They are notoriously difficult to maintain a constant temp. So Spatchcocking (butterflying) any type of fowl and roasting it on top of firm veggies (like squash) allows the heat to circulate, shortens the cooking time and helps prevent the meat from drying out (cooks more evenly). 

• Like 3

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Gator said:

Although I’m sure recipes for that method abound in cookbooks, it’s an old family recipe for me.

Up until the mid 70’s my grandmother cooked on / in a wood burning stove / oven. They are notoriously difficult to maintain a constant temp. So Spatchcocking (butterflying) any type of fowl and roasting it on top of firm veggies (like squash) allows the heat to circulate, shortens the cooking time and helps prevent the meat from drying out (cooks more evenly). 

I still remember my parents stove/oven and also used it.

Wood burning. Best toasted bread is on a fork cooked by the fire, yes different topic l know :smile:

• Like 2

Shady
Posted
Posted
On 12/4/2020 at 2:29 AM, Jollygoodfellow said:

What do you guys who are here in the Philippines normally do? 

Lamb for Easter, Turkey for Thanksgiving, Ham for Christmas.  In the PH that usually means dinner at one of the better international hotels, though this year that may be different, may throw something into the oven.

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)
On 12/4/2020 at 2:29 AM, Jollygoodfellow said:

What do you guys who are here in the Philippines normally do? 

I cook up sauerbratten roast, spaetzle (a type of dumpling) or baked potatoes and green beans. L makes kinilaw with yellowfin tuna and also cooks up some kind of fish, prawns, rice (of course). She also makes a vegetable usually with squash, taro and native greens of various types.

If that isn't enough, then ice cream or some sort of rice pudding makes us all totally busog! Beer and red wine go well with all of if - L and I prefer the drier reds while the family prefers the sweet ones - white or red.... I need Alka Seltzer now, just thinking about it!

Edited by Tommy T.
  • Like 1