Amazing how times change.....

Terry P
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, Old55 said:

Thank you Terry. :tiphat:

You and your wife have made a real difference in a time of desperate need. That is admirable and a role model for us all. Truly. Many here have attempted to help Filipino family, friends even total strangers it's not always so easy we do what we can.

We did it without thinking. Her fronting it overcame all the barriers I didn't know existed

Role model is a bit steep. Anyone with an ounce of human kindness would have done the same if they could

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

My opinion on the American bases....  (could not open the pdf file)

I agree with some of what Graham said, and Terry too.

What was missing is, remember that "the people" had a big voice at that time, after the People Power revolution of 86.  A smallish, very vocal section of the population were very anti-American and that was part of their newly found "independence" from Marcos.  This small section of Filipinos was controlling the direction of the government at the time. 

Given that sentiment, and the costs involved in staying, Pinatubo was the straw that broke the camels back.

Now I live in Subic.  I have never personally met a Filipino who said they were glad the Americans left.  Some are on the fence, but not glad.  I realize that is biased because I am an American.  Most Olongapo residents remember that time, Pinatubo and the base closure, and a tragic point in their history.

I would speculate that the good things the bases brought to the Philippines far outweigh the negatives.  Sure, there was all that "R&R" activity, but there were many real relationships started.  More speculation, but I would say that the huge Filipino/American community of U.S. citizens is largely based on those relationships, and would be much smaller if the bases never existed.  Many people in Subic are hoping the U.S. will have a big role in the reopening of the Hanjin facility.

• Like 3

• Jollygoodfellow locked this topic