Volunteer Disaster Relief Opportunities

intrepid
Posted
Posted

Christmas is coming I know but this is not only about the holidays.  I am interested in doing some volunteering in disaster areas of the provinces.  Mostly the southern area of Luzon that could be reached within a days drive.  Stay a day or so passing out rice and food supplies.  I don’t want to get directly involved with the local governments but would prefer part of an organized organization.  Trying to search online for such opportunities I have come up with dead ends.  Local churches I checked with will accept donations earmarked for relief but offer no hands on opportunities.  I know others here as well as myself have given food and such gifts around their areas at Christmas which I continue, however I am looking for something a little different to add through disaster times.  
Hope some of you have ideas.  Thanks:tiphat:

• Like 2

Kuya John
Posted
Posted

when-something-seems-difficult-dare-to-do-it-anyway-.jpg

• Like 2
  • Love it 1

graham59
Posted
Posted

Don't forget that us horrid poriners are also regarded as potential pedos, and strongly discouraged from associating with minors not related to us at least as nieces and nephews. 

If only life (and good-spirited generosity) was so easy. :rolleyes:

The Holy 'J' himself would probably still end up incarcerated here, if tried to carry on in his old ways.   :whatever:

• Sad 1

Snowy79
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, graham59 said:

The Holy 'J' himself would probably still end up incarcerated here, if tried to carry on in his old ways.   :whatever:

In times of difficulty I always ask myself " What would Jesus do?"  I then remember he got himself crucified so do something else. :tiphat:

Joking aside if there's any Mangyans, Lumads etc you may get away with helping them.  I've helped them a few times with no issues.  Mainly buying school supplies and a bit of rice with the help of their teachers.  They usually have a school in their village that is run pretty much on a voluntary basis and would be grateful. 

• Like 4

fototek1
Posted
Posted (edited)

Look for your local Rotary Club. Ask them to contact a club in the area you want to volunteer. Rotary is a great organization. If you don't like the local club try another. If you'd like, I can reach out to some Rotarians that could point you in the right direction. I can send you some links to the relief efforts I was part of for Typhoon Haiyan. 100% of all money raised through my efforts hit the ground.  

Edited by fototek1
  • Like 5

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
10 hours ago, Jack Peterson said:

You will need a Work permit

In another post, I remember Intrepid mentioning a wife and daughter.  Do you still need a work permit if married to a Filipina?  I cannot remember how that works.

• Hmm thinking 1

intrepid
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

In another post, I remember Intrepid mentioning a wife and daughter.  Do you still need a work permit if married to a Filipina?  I cannot remember how that works.

Additionally I'm here on a 13A visa for what its worth.

intrepid
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, fototek1 said:

I can send you some links to the relief efforts I was part of for Typhoon Haiyan. 100% of all money raised through my efforts hit the ground.  

That would be great.  Thanks

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
14 hours ago, intrepid said:

however I am looking for something a little different to add through disaster times.  

Intrepid, take a look at the VFW post 2485. They are up in Angles city (but with the new express way only a couple of hours from Laguna) They do a lot of charity work and they are on Facebook. I bet even if your not eligible to be a member they would accept what ever help you might want to give.

I just googled them, they also have a pretty good web page :thumbsup:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Love it 1