The Difference between the United Kingdom, Great Britain and England Explained. And more.

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

This short YouTube delineates the many bits of England. I just wish the narrator would speak a little faster. :lipssealed_80_anim_gif:

• Like 2
  • Hmm thinking 1

Kuya John
Posted
Posted

Dear Mr Speaker

Sorry pal you missed out the Isle of Mann ( midway between The United Kingdom and Ireland )

It has it's own Government and house of Representatives.

So if you could repeat what you just said and include the Isle of Mann, I would be most grateful :thumbsup:

Question; Do the Channel Islands not count as part of Britain also ?

• Like 2

GeoffH
Posted
Posted

It is my understanding that The Isle of Mann (I will never ever forget riding around there on Mad Sunday) is a British dependency but not part of Great Britain.

No idea about the Channel Islands...

• Like 2

graham59
Posted
Posted (edited)

Isle of MAN. Cheers. (And the 'bits' of England can only be counties... not COUNTRIES.

It's all pretty simple .

England ,Scotland and Wales are COUNTRIES ...united into the United Kingdom, along with Northern Ireland...the bit of Ireland we kept.  

England is the BOSS country. :smile:

We (the English) pretend that we need the (very small populations of) others, but really, they are a pain in the arse... and are what's left behind, following the mass emigration to the former colonies.    :tongue:

Edited by graham59
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Kuya John
Posted
Posted (edited)

So it would seem that the Channel Islands and the Isle of Man / Mann, are under British protection but not subject to British Law ?

Every day is a learning curve :thumbsup:

Edited by Kuya John
  • Like 2

Terry P
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, graham59 said:

Isle of MAN. Cheers. (And the 'bits' of England can only be counties... not COUNTRIES.

It's all pretty simple .

England ,Scotland and Wales are COUNTRIES ...united into the United Kingdom, along with Northern Ireland...the bit of Ireland we kept.  

England is the BOSS country. :smile:

We (the English) pretend that we need the (very small populations of) others, but really, they are a pain in the arse... and are what's left behind, following the mass emigration to the former colonies.    :tongue:

The mass emigration you talk about was fuelled by the desire to cast off poverty and seek real opportunities. Please don't go down the Australian route

Those who were left worked in the coal, steel, shipbuilding and many other manufacturing industries to fill the government coffers and the pockets of the priveliged few

All virtually gone now so what use are these parts of this disunited kingdom. You can throw a few of the shires into this equation also

Solution to the post empire superiority complex.

Define the line of North South divide. Banish pain in the arse sympathisers north of the line. That'll sort the cronic housing shortage and creating harmony within your green and pleasent land

OH!! problem, nobody to be boss over anymore

• Like 2

Jake
Posted
Posted

Wow, the British Empire was global back in the days.  Thanks Dan for some history lessons.  

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Jake said:

Wow, the British Empire was global back in the days.  Thanks Dan for some history lessons.  

Jake, I've always been interested in history and geography but was very surprised how little I actually knew about this. 

There is another video about the US found out some surprising facts too. 

Edited by Old55
  • Like 1

Clermont
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, TerryP said:

Please don't go down the Australian route

Yeah, there isn't much chance of getting into Oz, controlled boarders and it would take you's a life time to save more than your $10 boat fare, 14 day quarantine $2000, yeah I agree, don't go the Ozie route, you's just couldn't afford it. :hystery:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2