The Difference between the United Kingdom, Great Britain and England Explained. And more.

Terry P
Posted
Posted
9 minutes ago, Clermont said:

Yeah, there isn't much chance of getting into Oz, controlled boarders and it would take you's a life time to save more than your $10 boat fare, 14 day quarantine $2000, yeah I agree, don't go the Ozie route, you's just couldn't afford it. :hystery:

Nice one cleremont

I was trying to fend off comments about your history you vagabond 🤠🤠🤠🤠

• Haha 3

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, TerryP said:

The Isle of Man, Jersey, Guernsey and the channel isles are not and never have been part of the UK or the EU.

They are not represented in Westminster or Brussels

They are self governing British crown dependencies with their own parliamentarians, governments and laws

And I think you will find a few more places like that Gibraltar I believe is one maybe Malta as well.

• Like 2

Terry P
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, sonjack2847 said:

And I think you will find a few more places like that Gibraltar I believe is one maybe Malta as well.

Gibraltar is an overseas British territory

Malta is now a totally independent republic

• Like 2

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
25 minutes ago, TerryP said:

Gibraltar is an overseas British territory

Malta is now a totally independent republic

Yes but they did miss one, (two actually but they are the same circumstances:  

Cyprus gained its independence from the United Kingdom in 1960, after 82 years of British control. The two countries now enjoy warm relations, however the continuing British sovereignty of the Akrotiri and Dhekelia Sovereign Base Areas has continued to divide Cypriots.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Akrotiri_and_Dhekelia

The Sovereign Base Areas of Akrotiri and Dhekelia is/are a British Overseas Territory in the island country of Cyprus.

• Like 2

Terry P
Posted
Posted
43 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Yes but they did miss one, (two actually but they are the same circumstances:  

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Akrotiri_and_Dhekelia

The Sovereign Base Areas of Akrotiri and Dhekelia is/are a British Overseas Territory in the island country of Cyprus.

My post was in direct response to the quote by sonjack regarding the status of Gibraltar and Malta

hk blues
Posted
Posted

Related, last night I learned that Dubai was a British Protectorate. That was a new one for me as I'd always thought it was akin to places like Malta.

• Like 1

Terry P
Posted
Posted

I believe the UK had a treaty with states up till the 1960s when they withdrew military support because of finances

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Kuya John
Posted
Posted

Why not throw in the island of Anglesy in the pot too ( off the main land of Wales for our American cousins )

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

jimeve
Posted
Posted

Nobody has mentioned the Falklands Islands. The British fought off the Argies to reclaim back the islands.

Proud of our armed forces.

• Like 3
  • Love it 1

Eddie1
Posted
Posted

What about Canvey Island, just a stones throw from the quite unforgettable Southend on Sea.  The locals have to fight off armies of East European and North African asylum seekers on an almost daily basis!!

Proud of our boys, give it to 'em!!   

:crack-up:

• Like 3
  • Haha 2