Evidently US immigration has a "take-home" limit now. No more catch and release?

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

A local man we know recently married another Filipina via fiancee visa. This is his fourth Filipina wife. Over the past 20 years he's brought five Filipinas over on fiancee visas and married four of them. 

During the fifth Filipinas fiancee visa process he was questioned about the number of ladies he brought over. At the end of that interview they said this is the last time. 

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, GeoffH said:

This has been talked about on Australian media a bit... it's really not a good look and it makes it harder for those people trying to do the right thing.

I completely agree with you Geoff, it's almost like trafficking.  Well said. :tiphat:

Edited by Old55
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Old55 said:

At the end of that interview they said this is the last time. 

I have sympathy that it took him so many times to get it right, and maybe he still didn't.  However I am reluctant to agree that the state should put a limit on how many times a person can try.  Do you suppose it would go over well if the powers that be imposed a limit on how many current residents you could marry?  Liz Taylor and the other celebs in this link (Yes this is a link.  That is what the underlining means.  It is the proper way to embed a link.) would have something to say about that.  Should we give them a limit?  Or should we just take away limits for people who are not famous?

• Like 3

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, Old55 said:

A local man we know recently married another Filipina via fiancee visa. This is his fourth Filipina wife. Over the past 20 years he's brought five Filipinas over on fiancee visas and married four of them. 

During the fifth Filipinas fiancee visa process he was questioned about the number of ladies he brought over. At the end of that interview they said this is the last time. 

2 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

I have sympathy that it took him so many times to get it right, and maybe he still didn't.  However I am reluctant to agree that the state should put a limit on how many times a person can try.  Do you suppose it would go over well if the powers that be imposed a limit on how many current residents you could marry?  Liz Taylor and the other celebs in this link (Yes this is a link.  That is what the underlining means.  It is the proper way to embed a link.) would have something to say about that.  Should we give them a limit?  Or should we just take away limits for people who are not famous?

I would have to know more about the guy and the women and what happened before passing judgement.  However, it does seem fishy.  He has at least 4 divorces under his belt?  Dave, I am not one to want too much government control over how many times one can try to do anything, but certain this gives the appearance of importing sweet young things for a purpose other than a lifetime relationship.  And if he divorced 4 times, it says something about him.  Must be a complete jerk.

I'm surprised U.S. immigration has gone along with it.  I am dealing with immigration now and they want lots of information about prior marriages.  I joined an immigration forum and it is quite interesting and entertaining to hear about all the experiences people have while trying to immigrate to the U.S.

• Like 2

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted (edited)

Three divorces one "joy ride" and he's married to the fourth wife.... as far as we know.

He's not a bad guy and the first tree wife's were within ten years of his age. 

Wishing you luck and a quick painless process for your family Don. Hope it goes well for you all.

Edited by Old55
  • Like 1

graham59
Posted
Posted

Some guys DO seem to mistake the Phils and its young ladies as a bloody lending library though...and indeed this 'taking the piss out of the system' (if the cap fits, etc) , has undoubtedly increased the difficulty and expense for other couples following in their wake...as far as the UK goes, anyway...and there I do have very good 'inside information'.  

• Like 1
  • Hmm thinking 1

KC813
Posted
Posted
11 hours ago, Old55 said:

I completely agree with you Geoff, it's almost like trafficking.  Well said. :tiphat:

You hit the nail on the head.  This was all about sex trafficking and also to make sure the foreign fiance has not been deceived about the petitioner's past activities.  International Marriage Broker Regulation Act of 2005.

The law does not absolutely limit the number of fiance petitions that someone can file, or the number of spouses a person can have (as long as they are only one at a time!).  It just increases the hurdles and requirements a person has to meet if they have filed two or more fiance petitions, with one approved within the prior two years. 

The law also requires the consul to inform the fiance under certain circumstances, if the petitioner has had multiple fiance petitions approved in the last 10 years.

This 2005 law applies to all nationalities.

The officer that told your friend that "this was the last time" was just blowing smoke, but we all know that the government can make things more difficult when they think someone is abusing the system!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Thank you for clarifying this KC813. :tiphat: