Step Down Transformers

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted

I need to buy a step down transformer (220-110 volt) to run a couple of power tools I brought from USA.  The biggest user will require 5.2 amps at 110 volts which equates to a bit less than 600 watts. To be safe I intend to buy a 1,000 watt transformer, so that I am not using it at near or full capacity.

I see that Lazada carries some with the brand name "Panther" and the write-up says they are Philippine manufacture.  I like that they use circuit breakers rather than the old or other types that use fuses.

Has anyone had experience with one of these (any wattage) or any comments regarding it? They are not expensive - around P3,800 - so I am a bit leary until I hear more. Or has anyone purchased a similar sized unit (any brand) at one of the hardware stores?

Thanks in advance!

• Like 1

Joey G
Posted
Posted

For just power tools, and if you are the only one using it... you could probably just buy a simple step down transformer for half the price, solder some wires and be just as well off.  I point this out because you seem to be a fixer of sorts :)  The transformers themselves are relatively simple, if any parts are prone to breaking its the extra bells and whistles they add on the fancier versions.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, Joey G said:

For just power tools, and if you are the only one using it... you could probably just buy a simple step down transformer for half the price, solder some wires and be just as well off.  I point this out because you seem to be a fixer of sorts :)  The transformers themselves are relatively simple, if any parts are prone to breaking its the extra bells and whistles they add on the fancier versions.  

I agree, and if you are going to move it around a lot, a small one is easier to move to your workplace.  I have a few old small ones I saved from my stint in Germany.  They are low watts, but will do for a short time.

Here is what I do most of the time.  I only have two 110 electricals that I use.  I have a Craftsman Hammer drill that I use infrequently and I have an XBox.  I have an 2000 watt AVR / transformer hooked up for my home theater equipment, and the Xbox is plugged into the 110 outlet.  When I use the drill, I just plug a long extension cord into the 110 and it will reach anywhere in the house.

That AVR is step up / down.  So I can take it to the U.S., plug it into 110, and power 220 volt items.

I noticed that my drill is weaker when plugged into 110.  It is stronger with 120.

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, OnMyWay said:

I noticed that my drill is weaker when plugged into 110.  It is stronger with 120.

I bet it goes Superman strength at 220

GeoffH
Posted
Posted
42 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

I bet it goes Superman strength at 220

I'm guessing it'll be more Human Torch / Johny Storm than Superman at 220 :hystery:

• Like 1

Yeochief
Posted
Posted

St 3000Bought two, 3000 and 1500 from Ace Hardware.  No problems.

• Like 2

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
43 minutes ago, GeoffH said:

I'm guessing it'll be more Human Torch / Johny Storm than Superman at 220 :hystery:

Ben der.  Dun dat.  Took another 120 drill to Germany.  Completely spaced out and plugged it into 220!  :shock_40_anim_gif:

Pro tip!  Put brightly colored "110 volt" labels at the plug end of the cords of any 110 volt electricals.

BTW, my BIL is an electronical engineer who has an electrical repair shop.  He told me that those 110 volt electricals that get fried from 220 can usually be repaired.  I tossed the one in Germany.  Actually, I think I fried two things but I can't recall what the other one was.

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
4 minutes ago, Yeochief said:

St 3000Bought two, 3000 and 1500 from Ace Hardware.  No problems.

Ace and Handyman seemed to put the AVRs on sale frequently, so watch for a sale.  However, you might get a better price at a small electrics shop.  I bought my Akari 1500 at a small shop for a nice price.

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted

Good news! First, there was a parking place right in front of the entrance to Wilcon. Secondly, they had a nice selection of transformers and I bought a no-frills version along the line of what @Joey G suggested. Except, no soldering required - one plug on the cord to the 220 and a single outlet plug for the 110. No lights, meters or even a box, just the transformer - perfect!

• Like 3