Step Down Transformers

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, Yeochief said:

St 3000Bought two, 3000 and 1500 from Ace Hardware.  No problems.

I did not want to go into a mall and Wilcon was closer, but thanks for the tip. Ace would have been my next stop.

By the way, what would somebody plug into the 100 volt outlet?

hk blues
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Tommy T. said:

I did not want to go into a mall and Wilcon was closer, but thanks for the tip. Ace would have been my next stop.

By the way, what would somebody plug into the 100 volt outlet?

It's the standard voltage in Japan, Tom.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Jack D
Posted
Posted
On 12/13/2020 at 6:31 PM, Tommy T. said:

Has anyone had experience with one of these (any wattage) or any comments regarding it? They are not expensive - around P3,800 - so I am a bit leary until I hear more. Or has anyone purchased a similar sized unit (any brand) at one of the hardware stores?

In the past, these inexpensive up/down converters worked very well for me when I've stepped down 220 volt gadgets in the USA for visitors from the UK, but they've burned up (and died) when I've used them for stepping up the voltage of USA gadgets in the Philippines.

Joey G
Posted
Posted
54 minutes ago, Jack D said:

In the past, these inexpensive up/down converters worked very well for me when I've stepped down 220 volt gadgets in the USA for visitors from the UK, but they've burned up (and died) when I've used them for stepping up the voltage of USA gadgets in the Philippines.

From a pure electrical perspective it shouldn't matter... you have to watch spec's... and surge current, surge protectors, and polarity mismatches will cause issues....  what usually "burns up" are the varistors, which actually are fairly easy to fix... rare to have transformer windings melt down... but I don't doubt your experience. 

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
20 hours ago, GeoffH said:

I'm guessing it'll be more Human Torch / Johny Storm than Superman at 220 :hystery:

One of our workers did that very thing with my half inch drill motor that I brought over.   He only stopped drilling with it started smoking. :sad:

• Sad 1

Heeb
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, Jack D said:

I think your statement is backwards, you would step up in the US for UK gadgets and step down for US gadgets in the Phils.

Jack D
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Heeb said:

I think your statement is backwards, you would step up in the US for UK gadgets and step down for US gadgets in the Phils.

That's what I was saying... very sorry if I was unclear to you,