Dark side of Duterte's regime suppressing freedom of the press.

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Viking said:

Without knowing the whole story behind this

I doubt any of us will ever hear the full story.  I heard that Philippine officials are denouncing that (offduty) cops actions.  However the fact that he had no qualms pulling his gun and using deadly force at the simplest of disputes leads me to believe that at least some cops feel they have immunity to shoot who they want and when they want.  Duterte's press clippings suggest he will be supportive

Here is one of many links to support that argument

https://www.amnesty.org/en/latest/news/2020/04/philippines-president-duterte-shoot-to-kill-order-pandemic/

• Like 2

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted (edited)

I'm sure you know about this Dave. Cebu City Mayor Tomas Osmena had a hit squad (allegedly) in the 1990's through to ~2016? He also had a "colorful"police officer named Adonis Dumpit who became his (alleged) hit man then later personal body guard until Adonis's death. Adonis was involved with some shady things himself.

Duterte and Osmena were not the only leader/rulers who allegedly ran hit squads to element criminals and others they deemed undesirable. I'm unsure how common this is today because the press could become a victim for reporting. Perhaps forum members may know more about this in their local areas.

Edited by Old55
  • Like 1