Cost Cutting Suggestions, Anyone?

tropicalwaste
Posted
Posted

Sounds like one of your major expenses is heating water so heres a couple of ideas :-Swap from using heating elements to a solar tank then the only cost is pumping the water from your deep well to the roof. Can even build a solar heater if a bit thrifty with the cash.Buy a thermos. What my wife does if she boils the kettle for tea/coffee etc. she will then fill a thermos with the excess water for use throughout the day saving on boiling the kettle more than we need to.

retired
Posted
Posted
Sounds like one of your major expenses is heating water so heres a couple of ideas :-Swap from using heating elements to a solar tank then the only cost is pumping the water from your deep well to the roof. Can even build a solar heater if a bit thrifty with the cash.Buy a thermos. What my wife does if she boils the kettle for tea/coffee etc. she will then fill a thermos with the excess water for use throughout the day saving on boiling the kettle more than we need to.
We do the Thermos thing and it does save a bit on using gas which seems to have doubled in cost within a year . Now , if i could just get my family to think sandwich or salad for lunch instead of firing up the stove ... LOL :D

abaca1
Posted
Posted
Plan ahead to where you will live so you can walk to most places you wish to go to, drink water instead of other drinks, eat local type foods, use florescent bulbs and unplug and shut off things you are not using, and save water from shower heads in buckets when showering that can be used for watering the plants or flushing the toilets. I always keep a few buckets in the shower to capture the extra water and then use it for other needs. Waste not want not. :AddEmoticons04230:
There is a book that I have on grey water gardening that suggest running your grey water plumbing from house out to the garden or landscaping. It would be less work than pitching water.

abaca1
Posted
Posted
I have seen folks buy a coil of black ABS pipe and coil it on a roof, a set of bed springs, and so on to make a solar water heater. Also in a book I have on hot water systems it tells how to build a simple outdoor fireplace water heater out of brick, cement, and pipe. I know it works well because a boys dormitory in Africa that I lived in used such a system for about 20 of us. Myself, I like to take my showers in the heat of the afternoon at just about the time it cools off(during hot season of course). This way I do not need such a hot shower when I want to cool off and I will not as likely get sweaty again for some time.

tropicalwaste
Posted
Posted (edited)

[mediaquote name=abaca1' date='05 December 2009 - 10:59 AM' timestamp='1260010752' post='14610]

I have seen folks buy a coil of black ABS pipe and coil it on a roof, a set of bed springs, and so on to make a solar water heater. Also in a book I have on hot water systems it tells how to build a simple outdoor fireplace water heater out of brick, cement, and pipe. I know it works well because a boys dormitory in Africa that I lived in used such a system for about 20 of us. Myself, I like to take my showers in the heat of the afternoon at just about the time it cools off(during hot season of course). This way I do not need such a hot shower when I want to cool off and I will not as likely get sweaty again for some time.Good idea but Ive got another idea for my roof at the moment im hoping to do a pet project on when i get back. If this works im hoping to expand it out.Aquaponics :- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wS3sej53gx0Hopefully will provide Tilapia for sale/eating aswell as other food such as lettuce.Did try intergrating the Youtube video but think its disabled off the forum? Edited by tropicalpenpals

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted (edited)
[mediaquote name=abaca1' date='05 December 2009 - 10:59 AM' timestamp='1260010752' post='14610]
I have seen folks buy a coil of black ABS pipe and coil it on a roof, a set of bed springs, and so on to make a solar water heater. Also in a book I have on hot water systems it tells how to build a simple outdoor fireplace water heater out of brick, cement, and pipe. I know it works well because a boys dormitory in Africa that I lived in used such a system for about 20 of us. Myself, I like to take my showers in the heat of the afternoon at just about the time it cools off(during hot season of course). This way I do not need such a hot shower when I want to cool off and I will not as likely get sweaty again for some time.
Good idea but Ive got another idea for my roof at the moment im hoping to do a pet project on when i get back. If this works im hoping to expand it out.Aquaponics
Hopefully will provide Tilapia for sale/eating aswell as other food such as lettuce.Did try intergrating the Youtube video but think its disabled off the forum?Test you tube video,works for me and should for you??
Edited by Boss Man
test you tube media

tropicalwaste
Posted
Posted

Looks like its working now..lol anyway im looking at the Aquaponics idea and if anyone else wants to get involved once i get things going please do as im keen to do more of these type of projects to hopefully be sharing some of the solutions with those less fortunate. Also im looking into junk yard stuff to power the pumps by converting into fans of some description and using a car alternator for charging but I believe due to the magnets on an alterator it has to have an initial charge.. so will be spending a few weeks on my junk yard challenge when I get home..lol

tropicalwaste
Posted
Posted

Forgot to add maybe opening up a gardening section might be worthwhile on the forum?