Job offer abroad

fototek1
Posted
Posted

I am still working in the US and retirement is planned in the next five years which will include time split between the Philippines and the US. My wife is a Filipina working here in the US  and we own a business in the Philippines. Our business in the Philippines is doing well but we want to finish some construction which is very difficult while not there. We were trying to manage the construction remote but all of our construction staff quit because they didn't like that we were watching them :shock_40_anim_gif:No joke, but that can be a long post on it's own. Now to the real point! 

My company just offered me a position in Thailand. They are asking me what my requirements would be and left it totally open. I asked if it was temporary short/long term or permanent relocation and they asked what I propose. I know to ask for  housing, transportation, health insurance and a few round trip flights. Should I ask for a salary increase as well? What else should I ask for?

If I agree to 3-6 month contract or move to Thailand what should I expect? I do not speak Thai but I do speak some Tagalog :biggrin: which will do me no good. 

This opportunity was presented to me because  I am awesome :shades: Ok so maybe it was offered because for 3 years prior to Covid I asked if there was potential of a position in SE Asia. My thinking at the time was to get closer to our(my wife and I) business in the Philippines which she would run and I would travel home every 2 weeks to month. 

I have been traveling all over the world but have never lived abroad. The longest stretch outside the US was 2 months and was no big deal.  

• Like 3

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
15 minutes ago, fototek1 said:

I am still working in the US and retirement is planned in the next five years which will include time split between the Philippines and the US. My wife is a Filipina working here in the US  and we own a business in the Philippines. Our business in the Philippines is doing well but we want to finish some construction which is very difficult while not there. We were trying to manage the construction remote but all of our construction staff quit because they didn't like that we were watching them :shock_40_anim_gif:No joke, but that can be a long post on it's own. Now to the real point! 

My company just offered me a position in Thailand. They are asking me what my requirements would be and left it totally open. I asked if it was temporary short/long term or permanent relocation and they asked what I propose. I know to ask for  housing, transportation, health insurance and a few round trip flights. Should I ask for a salary increase as well? What else should I ask for?

If I agree to 3-6 month contract or move to Thailand what should I expect? I do not speak Thai but I do speak some Tagalog :biggrin: which will do me no good. 

This opportunity was presented to me because  I am awesome :shades: Ok so maybe it was offered because for 3 years prior to Covid I asked if there was potential of a position in SE Asia. My thinking at the time was to get closer to our(my wife and I) business in the Philippines which she would run and I would travel home every 2 weeks to month. 

I have been traveling all over the world but have never lived abroad. The longest stretch outside the US was 2 months and was no big deal.  

Hi Tek..(pun intended)...

You make some interesting, if disjointed, comments.

If you are asking advice, I would, personally, take the offer and milk it for all I could. Earn as much as you can, while you can. It sounds like a great opportunity - virus risks aside - to be closer to your construction and other personal interests too. Plus, there won't be any snow blizzards or freezing. Of course, there might be monsoon rains or typhoons?

I have lived outside the USA most of my life. I do miss the amenities and comforts there, but do not miss the rush and fuss of the faster life pace there. So you just need to experience and check the lifestyle in Thailand (watch out for the sexy girls (and boys?)) and stay protected. At least that's my opinion, for what it's worth...

As others have said in many topics - I think you are best served by spending some time and experience here or in Thailand for a while before making a firm commitment of time and money... Just my opinion...

• Like 4

Snowy79
Posted
Posted

If your company is keeping your job open in America until the 3 to 6 month contract is up I'd go for a bit more pay due to relocation etc and make the most of it.  I have a friend who escaped to Thailand when Covid kicked in and according to him it is more advanced than the Philippines by a long way but the locals aren't keen on speaking English. Opportunities don't look so attractive when they are in front of you but once gone you may kick yourself.

• Like 5

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
On 12/18/2020 at 8:38 AM, fototek1 said:

I don't know what your work is, but 3 to 6 months seems short, both for you and the company.

I think there is a good chance here to bump your retirement savings up a lot, considering most people who get overseas assignments make extra cash.  I would milk it for all you can get.  I only worked 4 years in Germany but financially that put me over the top for early retirement.

• Like 3

fototek1
Posted
Posted

Thank you all for your comments. My company confirmed that the offer was because of previous inquiries and its going to create a position if I want it. @OnMyWay my job is in manufacturing and is "Hi tek" as @Tommy T. indicated. My comments seem disjointed but they are actually all related. If I were to write a novel you would see the connection. @Snowy79 My company would keep a position open for me if I took a temporary assignment. Another snippet of information is that I need to be busy when I am not sleeping. If I have nothing fun to do, usually with other peeps, I build things in my woodshop or I work. For the last 3 years I have been working 70 hours plus a week. I would like to ease into retirement and this reassignment to Thailand could help me evaluate that move. 

Have any of you lived in Thailand? This position would be 2 hours south of Bangkok and as I mention I speak no Thai and I don't know anyone in Thailand. Do you think these things will present an issue? Traveling and being away from home is not a huge deal except for the Coronavirus situation. I lived in hotels 75% of the time of 2018 and 2019. The longest continuous stretch was 6 weeks December 2019 - Feb 2020. I did have my wife meet up with me for a few weeks on that trip. She will occasionally take a vacation and come on the trip when I am in a nice place. 

• Like 3

Nickleback99
Posted
Posted

I haven't worked in Thailand since the early 90's (didn't live there), but if i had that chance again, I'd be All Over It!  Loved it then and from my friends who worked there later, it's certainly more modern than Philippines in lot of places. The Narc cops and embassy folks handled interpreter duties for us; so, getting around and working within the country was pretty easy as a result, at least back then.  Had bud assigned to the office down in Songkla, married a Thai, and he Had to learn Thai on the ground as there was very little English spoken, but the former Atlanta cop became quite fluent, mostly due to his wife schooling him.  Anyway, hope it works out for you and you keep rest of us posted on the outcome.  I'm looking forward to visiting Thailand again probably early 2022.  

• Like 1

fototek1
Posted
Posted

My wife and I have decided that if my company agrees to my terms I will make a 2 month trip to Thailand. Does anyone know of any good active Thailand expat sites? All of the ones I am finding seem to have very little activity. I would be happy to find something half as good as this site which has good people and great information.....