E Book/Kindels?

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
22 hours ago, scott h said:

1. Are they available here do you know? cyberzone at SM maybe?

I bought my latest Kindle Paperwhite via Lazada.  

• Like 2

BrettGC
Posted
Posted

Hi Again Scott, 

Looks like most of your additional questions have been answered.   With regards to which device to buy I think it's down to personal preference.  I prefer the tablet/phone option as I already own way too many gadgets and I've never been a fan of single function anything and pre-beer bug I used to travel a lot so one less item in the luggage is always a plus to me.  I haven't owned a Kindle for years TBH so they're probably a lot more versatile than when I last used one so it may be your simplest option.  

As always, there's pro's and cons for any purchase and at the end of day it comes down to personal preference and requirements.  

Here's a handy little questionnaire that will help you decide.  I suspect given all you've said you'd be better off with a Kindle:

https://ebookfriendly.com/tablet-or-ereader-questionnaire/

• Thanks 1

RBM
Posted
Posted
44 minutes ago, BrettGC said:

Hi Again Scott, 

Looks like most of your additional questions have been answered.   With regards to which device to buy I think it's down to personal preference.  I prefer the tablet/phone option as I already own way too many gadgets and I've never been a fan of single function anything and pre-beer bug I used to travel a lot so one less item in the luggage is always a plus to me.  I haven't owned a Kindle for years TBH so they're probably a lot more versatile than when I last used one so it may be your simplest option.  

As always, there's pro's and cons for any purchase and at the end of day it comes down to personal preference and requirements.  

Here's a handy little questionnaire that will help you decide.  I suspect given all you've said you'd be better off with a Kindle:

https://ebookfriendly.com/tablet-or-ereader-questionnaire/

Great source of info, thanks a bunch. Just a further question if I may, these down loads, say Google can one manage on a rather slow connection?

BrettGC
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, RBM said:

Great source of info, thanks a bunch. Just a further question if I may, these down loads, say Google can one manage on a rather slow connection?

Yes mate, they're just basically a PDF file (think MS Word file you can't edit) or some proprietary variation so never very sizeable.  Audio books are larger though.  

• Like 1

GeoffH
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, RBM said:

I've found that Kindle downloads don't need a fast internet connection, I've even downloaded Kindle eBooks on 2G towers (it was lots slower but it worked ok).

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
  • Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted

two more questions guys. I looked on Amazon and the purchase option said kindle, will that down load onto a laptop or other reader? Or must I buy a kindle? 

2. If I buy, can I download onto my laptop and then transfer it? Or is it copy righted for a single download?

ok,,,3rd....crap, now i forgot

thanks guys

GeoffH
Posted
Posted

You don't need a Kindle reader to read Amazon (Kindle) ebooks.  I do have one but I only use it when I am outdoors in bright sunlight because the LCD screen is much easier to read in bright sunlight.  Sometimes I read on my phone, sometimes on my iPad, somtimes on my laptop and even sometimes on my desktop computer.

There is a Kindle program for PC and an app for iOS and Android but if you don't have them you can read from the web browser (the cloud) as well.

Gentleman.Jack.Darby
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, scott h said:

two more questions guys. I looked on Amazon and the purchase option said kindle, will that down load onto a laptop or other reader? Or must I buy a kindle? 

2. If I buy, can I download onto my laptop and then transfer it? Or is it copy righted for a single download?

ok,,,3rd....crap, now i forgot

thanks guys

If you buy a Kindle book on Amazon, you have several options for reading it:

1. If you like to read "on the go" and prefer to hold something to read that approximates a "real" book, a Kindle device is the way to go. For the most "book-like" experience, I'd suggest one of the Kindle paperwhite devices. Very similar to a real book (except no smell) and works great in strong or direct sunlight, like at the beach

2. If you don't want or need another device, you can download the Kindle app, for free, from the appropriate app store (Google Play Store or Apple iTunes) for your smartphone or from the Amazon website for a computer (Windows PC or laptop, Linux PC or laptop, Chrome OS Chromebook, etc.)

3. You can also use the Kindle Cloud Reader, for free, using a browser (Chrome, Firefox, etc) on a PC or Laptop (great since the screen is big) or a browser on a smartphone (not so great since most smartphones have small screens).

4. It is also possible, if one is so inclined, to download a Kindle book to a PC and strip away the DRM (Digital Rights Management) encoding so that one can read a Kindle book on another e-reader device. I'm very happy with the Amazon options for reading my Kindle books, know pretty much nothing about e-readers other than Kindle devices, and prefer to do things, when possible, the easy way

As far as Kindle books go, once you "buy" a Kindle book, you own the right to download it to multiple devices, multiple times, until you die, i.e. since Kindle books aren't physical things like real books, at present, there isn't an Amazon-approved way for you to pass you Kindle library on to an heir or to sell it at the local used book shop as one would a real book

That being said, there is no need to download a Kindle book to a PC and the attach a smartphone to the PC and transfer the book - all that '90s hassle that some went through to transfer music files doesn't apply when dealing with Kindle books.

The Amazon Kindle store operates on a one-to-many basis, i.e., a customer "owns" one copy of a book in the Amazon Kindle Store that can be downloaded to many customer devices and the copy that a customer "owns' will always be available on Amazon.

The Amazon Kindle store doesn't operate like, for example, the Apple ITunes store on which once a customer buys a song and downloads it, the customer cannot download it again and the customer is responsible for backing up their song library

If you want a Kindle book on your PC, use a browser on that PC to go to the Kindle store, register that device with the Kindle store, and download it to that device; if you want it on another device, just follow the same procedure for that device and any other on which you want the book. I believe that Amazon will allow a customer to register up to five devices and if you get rid of a device or lose a device, Amazon allows that device to be de-registered and a new device registered in it's place 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
Talako
Posted
Posted

Three things:

1.  If you are cheap like me, you can search Amazon for free ($0) books.  An author from time to time will put Book 1 out there for free to entice you into a series or to their other writings.  

2.  Check out a website called Bookbub.  It is a book discovery service that helps readers find new books and authors. They feature free and discounted ebooks which they select.  You enter your genre preferences, and they send you an email every day with selections.  They link it to Amazon, BN, and other ebook providers.  Mostly discounted books, but there are usually two or three free ebooks at the bottom of the email.  It used to be at the top, but I think people would look at that and skip the rest.  It is good way to find books, authors, and series that you normally would never check out

3. Calibre - If you have different readers and ebooks in different formats, you can use a free software program called Calibre.  It will convert ebook file formats.  If the book has DRM, then you will need some Googlefu to figure out how to strip it off.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
9 minutes ago, Talako said:

Three things:

I have to laugh. Not at you but with you. You joined over seven years ago and your third post.  Welcome Back :tiphat:

Don't let it stop there :thumbsup:

• Like 2