UNITED STATES STIMULUS CHECKS

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

I agree 100% Don. But those comments are best in Chatterbox.

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, Old55 said:

I agree 100% Don. But those comments are best in Chatterbox.

Yes, this is way off topic now!  

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, OnMyWay said:

Yes, this is way off topic now!  

It's what we do best! :hystery:

• Haha 2

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
13 minutes ago, Old55 said:

It's what we do best! :hystery:

I just "checked" and this topic "stimulates US" so its all good.

• Haha 3

hk blues
Posted
Posted
23 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

There are many other types of voter fraud that may have occurred, but I don't think they can be discussed here.  That includes "enabling people to vote" using methods that are illegal.

Enough to bring the result into question? 

hk blues
Posted
Posted
22 hours ago, scott h said:

HK, that is a very good and has the spirit of democracy and probably the letter of it also.

But let me try to explain how I, and a lot of Yanks feel.

To a lot of us the vote is something sacred and should not be treated lightly. It is engrained in a lot of us to go into the voting booth, make our picks and after we turn in the ballot, the poll monitor say out load "Mr. Scott has voted"

The idea (to me) that a person can just pick up his mail, throw it on the coffee table, fill it out on top of a pizza box, while watching reruns of Baywatch on TV and mail it in the next day along with his electric bill, just rubs me the wrong way :hystery:

Being of a similarish generation I get that but it's not really how the world is moving Scott. If democracy is about people voting then I can't really argue against something that helps that.

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, hk blues said:

Enough to bring the result into question? 

Many think so.  Regardless, there is enough being exposed that people have doubts about the integrity of the process.

• Thanks 1

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted (edited)

And the drama continues...... The bill is enacted Biden says he will enact a third stimulus bill once he become ruler.

President signed the stimulus bill after demanding a $2,000 second stimulus check.

President President signed the stimulus bill on Sunday night ahead of the government shutdown. On Monday, the House votes to raise the $600 to a $2,000 stimulus check.

After a week spent attacking the $600 second stimulus check, President Donald President signed a $2.3 trillion bill Sunday night that that combines $900 billion in stimulus money with funding for the government -- a day before the deadline that would shut down the government. In addition to approving a second stimulus check, the bipartisan COVID-19 relief aid will renew programs both Democrats and Republicans agree are critical, including $300 federal unemployment benefits, money to help businesses pay employees, a monthlong extension of a federal eviction ban and funding to help distribute the coronavirus vaccine.

"The compromise bill is not perfect, but it will do an enormous amount of good for struggling Kentuckians and Americans across the country who need help now," Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell tweeted minutes after President signed the bill.

It isn't clear why President changed his mind after days of lambasting the "measly" size of the $600 maximum payment, and advancing his agenda to raise the second stimulus check to up to $2,000 instead. Throughout the weekend, US leaders from President-elect Joe Biden to Sens. Pat Toomey and Bernie Sanders criticized President's delay in signing the bill. President had planned to sign the package Dec. 24 at 7.p.m. ET, CNN reported Sunday, before the president allegedly changed his mind.

"I simply want to get our great people $2000 [sic], rather than the measly $600 that is now in the bill. Also, stop the billions of dollars in 'pork,'" President tweeted Saturday morning, referring to elements of the government funding portion of the bill that members of his party agreed to, and which have echoed President's own budget requests.

Biden has referred to the stimulus portion of the joint package as a "first step and down payment," forecasting a larger bill after he's sworn into office -- including a third stimulus check.

House will vote Monday on a $2,000 second stimulus check bill

The House of Representatives will vote Monday on a bill (PDF) to authorize the second stimulus check President is asking for, for up to $2,000 per qualified adult. It isn't clear if the legislation will pass the Senate. It all depends on whether President will continue to hold sway with Senate Republicans in his final 24 days before Biden is sworn in as president, or whether a $2,000 check -- which could greatly increase the size of the COVID-19 relief allocation -- will divide the party.

"If the president is serious about the $2,000 direct payments, he must call on House Republicans to end their obstruction," Pelosi said Dec. 24. "On Monday, I will bring the House back to session where we will hold a recorded vote on our stand-alone bill to increase economic impact payments to $2,000. ... Hopefully by then the president will have already signed the bipartisan and bicameral legislation to keep government open and to deliver coronavirus relief."

Democrats have long advocated for a larger second stimulus check as part of a larger aid package overall. President distanced himself from negotiations, and his administration's own negotiator, Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin, offered the $600 ceiling for the second stimulus check totals. 

Republican and Democratic lawmakers passed the two-in-one omnibus package by overwhelming margins on Dec. 21, after months of painful negotiations.

While we closely follow the situation, read on for more information about the $2,000 stimulus check amount (the figure was advanced by a number of Democrats in mid-2020), the scenarios that could play out next and what we know about a third stimulus check for 2021. This story is updated often with new information.

Now playing: Second stimulus checks: Everything you need to know

3:22

President's $2,000 stimulus check figure treads familiar terrain

Since spring, several Democrats have suggested a $2,000 stimulus check, including Vice President-elect Sen. Kamala Harris, Sens. Bernie Sanders and Ed Markey and one-time presidential hopeful (and now New York mayoral hopeful) Andrew Yang. Some supporters of this figure have even suggested sending checks on a monthly rather than a one-time basis.

Biden already supports a third stimulus check

Most US leaders seem to see the $900 billion stimulus bill as a stepping stone to a larger relief package in 2021, one that may include a third stimulus check and other provisions that Republicans and Democrats agreed to leave out this round in order to pass a critical deal. 

"This bill is just the first step, a down payment, in addressing the crisis -- crises, more than one -- that we're in," Biden said Tuesday, emphasizing that he would like to see a third stimulus check.

How quickly could the IRS send your payment?

Aid will likely begin to go out within a week or two after the bill officially passes, with certain funding programs possibly receiving financial help before the end of 2020. On Dec. 21, Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin gave the following week as the target for sending payments via direct deposit to people who qualify for a second stimulus check to receive their payment, intended to bring direct cash flow to tens of millions of Americans.

Because of the delay signing the bill, the timeline will likely shift a week, since agencies need time to set up their processes and communicate with recipients about what they need to do or expect.

You can calculate your second stimulus check total now. Here's which payment group you might be in. Here's what we know about how quickly we think the IRS could send a second stimulus check, and here are more details about weekly unemployment insurance.

A vote on the new stimulus package could come soon.

Sarah Tew/CNET

Why didn't the bill include a $1,200 or $2,000 second stimulus check?

A second stimulus check has had wide bipartisan support ever since the CARES Act passed. Over the last several months, everyone from President and Biden to members of Congress, economists and everyday people have advocated for another direct payment.

President has previously called for "more money than they're talking about" in stimulus checks, as large as $1,200 or $2,000 per person. Aides reportedly convinced him at the time that making such demands would jeopardize a stimulus bill, The Washington Post reported, and the White House offer was officially extended at $600 tops.

Although many favor a $1,200 direct payment in theory, a second smaller stimulus check has helped keep costs below the $1 trillion cutoff that Republican lawmakers have in the past said they'd support. 

Stimulus checks aren't cheap. The IRS said this summer that it had spent $270 billion sending out 160 million checks, and on Monday, Sen. Mitt Romney, a Republican who has been involved in crafting the bipartisan stimulus proposal, forecast a cost of $300 billion if the checks were once again included for $1,200 per person. Republicans reportedly bridled at the cost.

A variety of factors could have contributed to a second stimulus check making its way into the final bill at all, from popular opinion and presidential preference to complicated negotiations that trimmed $160 billion from elsewhere, enough for a smaller stimulus check than before. 

For more information about stimulus checks, here's how soon you might get your second stimulus check now, what you should do to speed up the delivery of a potential second check and what to know about the HEALS, CARES and Heroesstimulus bill proposals that could help inform a final package.

First published on Aug. 5, 2020 at 6:29 a.m. PT.

https://www.cnet.com/personal-finance/President-signed-the-stimulus-bill-after-demanding-a-2000-second-stimulus-check-now-what/

Edited by Old55

hk blues
Posted
Posted
59 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

Many think so.  Regardless, there is enough being exposed that people have doubts about the integrity of the process.

Which was the whole point of the campaign to cast doubt on the result, was it not?  Throw a lot of mud and some will stick.

• Like 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted

Anyway, I guess I missed the previous posts regarding the sensitivity of this topic so I'll not add any more.  As I said, I don't have a dog in the fight so just interested in how those who do felt. 

• Jollygoodfellow locked this topic