Covid hits Boracay.

Snowy79
Posted
Posted

Just reading today in the mainstream media that there is a worker at Discovery Shores, one of the exclusive resorts on main beach who has tested positive.  The icing on the cake is the Dept of Tourism gave the Mayor 10m peso to carry out testing on all workers.  They had chassed his office up in November for an update on how the testing was going, how many tested etc.  They never received an update and no one looked into it.  It appears there is no testing and the workers were unaware that they should have received free tests. 

The Mayor is currently part of an investigation into Graft alongside 25 others.  He is a replacement for the previous Mayor who was fired over financial irregularities. :571c66d400c8c_1(103):

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

graham59
Posted
Posted

Usual clusterf*** . 

One place where it could have been stamped out, and kept out. :rolleyes:

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Stay safe there Snowy.

• Like 2

Explorer
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, Snowy79 said:

Dept of Tourism gave the Mayor 10m peso to carry out testing on all workers.

Are they going to test all the workers on a daily basis? Weekly? Monthly? Or maybe this just a one time deal? Been twice to Boracay, all hotel workers looks young and healthy to me, none of them looks obese. This is just silly waste of money.  Take this 10m pesos (and all other millions of pesos wasted anywhere else) and use it to protect the elderly (not many elderly in the Philippines where life expectancy is 67), the obese, sick (again, not many obese people in the Philippines).

And the hotel worker that got sick? Just stay at home for couple of week, 99.9% probability he will be ok. 

• Like 1
  • Hmm thinking 1

GeoffH
Posted
Posted (edited)
55 minutes ago, Explorer said:

Take this 10m pesos <snip>

I'd use it to buy 10m pesos worth of Covid vaccines but it's not my decision :)

Edited by GeoffH
  • Like 2

Explorer
Posted
Posted
30 minutes ago, GeoffH said:

I'd use it to buy 10m pesos worth of Covid vaccines but it's not my decision :)

There are 5.3m people in the Philippines who are over age of 65 (4.8% of the population), they should vaccinate these people and let all the other young and healthy filipinos go on with their life.  (for comparison in USA, the over 65 are 16.8% of the population).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

graham59
Posted
Posted (edited)

Yes, about the same percentage) (oldies) in the UK, as the U.S. 

Look after them first...instead of letting them be killed in the care homes, for starters. 

The rest of the population can then go about their business, and the deaths from suicide, and of those afraid to go to hospitals (or locked out of them) will be reduced accordingly...in ALL countries.    

Edited by graham59
  • Like 1
  • Love it 1

Snowy79
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Explorer said:

Are they going to test all the workers on a daily basis? Weekly? Monthly? Or maybe this just a one time deal? Been twice to Boracay, all hotel workers looks young and healthy to me, none of them looks obese. This is just silly waste of money.  Take this 10m pesos (and all other millions of pesos wasted anywhere else) and use it to protect the elderly (not many elderly in the Philippines where life expectancy is 67), the obese, sick (again, not many obese people in the Philippines).

And the hotel worker that got sick? Just stay at home for couple of week, 99.9% probability he will be ok. 

I think the idea is the workers live on the island and if tested and clear they won't pass the virus onto those tourists who are at risk.  The one found positive works in the food and beverages department so I'm sure could spread the virus pretty easily if the usual standard of hygiene is followed here.

• Like 2

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, graham59 said:

Yes, about the same percentage) (oldies) in the UK, as the U.S. 

Look after them first...instead of letting them be killed in the care homes, for starters. 

The rest of the population can then go about their business, and the deaths from suicide, and of those afraid to go to hospitals (or locked out of them) will be reduced accordingly...in ALL countries.    

Shame on you Graham, the vaccine should be prioritized for politicians first like we do here in the States. :facepalm_80_anim_gif:

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Old55 said:

the vaccine should be prioritized for politicians first like we do here in the States. 

In Canada, those in power have promised a priority system which gives first priority to those over age 80.  So I am looking for the list.  What list?  The list I can put my 85 year old mother on because she wants the vaccine.  They have no list.  4,000 people vaccinated so far and still no list to sign up for to say you are over 80 and want it.  They say:  We will find you.  But the province I live in could not even find a list of the residents who voted for them. What a Feckup.

• Sad 2

• Jollygoodfellow locked this topic