Covid hits Boracay.

hk blues
Posted
Posted
19 hours ago, Explorer said:

If covid is so serious as the authorities claim and you want to protect the health, why not just stay at home instead of going to a potentially covid infested resort?

Why when a Filipino want to go to visit his family in another province, they require barangay clearance, PCR test and 14 days quarantine but a "rich" Filipino can go to resort without quarantine and can return home without PCR test/quarantine?

That's not the point though, at least not mine. Rules and protocols have been established whether we like them or not (for what it's worth, I find it bemusing that kids cannot attend school yet can go to malls and resorts) and thus it's totally wrong to bury breaches because serious ramifications will follow - your choice of the word knucklehead seems unduly biased against the regulations and those tasked to implement them. 

Explorer
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Snowy79 said:

Quarantine is only required for OFW and LSI. Tourists require an RT-PCR test, DOT approved accommodation and medical clearance.  It's the same in Oriental Mindoro. I think also in El Nido, Coron and Bohol. I guess the Government are trying to keep some people's livelihoods going. 

You are right, and this is exactly my point, they are saying "come to our resort, no quarantine is required" because they know that if they quarantine tourists on arrival it will be a problem and no sane tourist will come to Boracay. In the same token, once in the resort and they detect someone with covid, if they administer PCR test to the guests and someone is positive, they will have no choice but quarantine that person and once news come out that tourists are stranded in Boracay they will have a problem on their hand, the same problem they are trying to avoid with the "no quarantine on arrival" rule. So this was the essence of my first post here - the resort/Boracay will keep things under wraps, otherwise they are shooting themself in the foot.

• Like 1

Snowy79
Posted
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Explorer said:

You are right, and this is exactly my point, they are saying "come to our resort, no quarantine is required" because they know that if they quarantine tourists on arrival it will be a problem and no sane tourist will come to Boracay. In the same token, once in the resort and they detect someone with covid, if they administer PCR test to the guests and someone is positive, they will have no choice but quarantine that person and once news come out that tourists are stranded in Boracay they will have a problem on their hand, the same problem they are trying to avoid with the "no quarantine on arrival" rule. So this was the essence of my first post here - the resort/Boracay will keep things under wraps, otherwise they are shooting themself in the foot.

They administered Covid tests to those the workers he was in close contact with and quarantined them.  It also made national news so not exactly covering it up from the DOH.  They did however put the other businesses at risk on the island by being stupid enough to think they could hide it.  Touch wood they are lucky but the few days they hid it could have finished Boracay for good.  Imagine struggling to get through Covid with your business financially and the resort next door hides Covid and it spreads so you and every other business has to close instead of just one.

Edited by Snowy79
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

jpbago
Posted
Posted
15 hours ago, RBM said:

Interesting, I tried to find a link I read a while back, unfortunately could not. Stated the people in the IATF were hand picked ex generals and other military officials. Hard to believe no scientific brains included or medical personal. 

Certainly some of the IATF are medical personnel such as doctors. This one was killed in Negros Occidental.

https://www.sunstar.com.ph/article/1880327/Bacolod/Local-News/Guihulngan-City-IATF-chief-husband-shot-dead-by-riding-in-tandem

Spoiler

Guihulngan City IATF chief, husband shot dead by riding-in-tandem

TERESA D. ELLERA

December 17, 2020

A LOCAL Inter-Agency Task Force (IATF) chief and her husband were declared dead on the spot after they were shot by riding-in-tandem suspects in Guihulngan City, Negros Oriental, late Tuesday afternoon, December 15, 2020.

Police identified the fatalities as Dr. Mary Rose Sancelan, the IATF chief and City Health Officer of Guihulngan City, and her husband Edwin Sancelan.

Based on information by Guihulngan City Police Station, the couple was riding home on their motorcycle when two gunmen in a motorcycle opened fire at them.

The couple was instantly killed in the attack after sustaining multiple gunshot wounds to the head and body.

Guihulngan City police have yet to determine the motive behind the murders.

Following the incident, the Guihulngan City IATF said they are mourning the deaths of the couple. They described Dr. Sancelan as a courageous and dedicated frontliner who was instrumental in thwarting the Covid-19 spike in the city in November.

The city's IATF are also confused and in shock over the murder of their chief and are asking for time from the public to come to terms with their loss.

Diocese of San Carlos Bishop Gerardo Alminaza also condemned the incident and asked for prayers for the victims, their families, and those responsible to be held accountable.

"This is too much! This is unacceptable to allow this to happen to public servants who were working hard to serve the public interest especially during this pandemic," Alminaza said.

He further added it is a grave omission to remain silent and passive and allow perpetrators to get away.

Rights group Karapatan-Negros, meanwhile, released a statement accusing the anti-communist vigilante group Kawsa Guihulnganon Batok Komunista (Kagubak) as the ones responsible for the murders.

Karapatan-Negros claimed that the doctor was recently "red-tagged" and mistakenly identified as Ka JB Regalado, the spokesperson for New People's Army Leonardo Panaligan Command based in Central Negros.

They further claimed that the doctor, along with other slain individuals, lawyer Anthony Trinidad and Heidie Malalay Flores, allegedly appeared on Kagubak's hit list.

• Like 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
20 hours ago, Explorer said:

I'm struggling with this idea that it's perfectly acceptable to hide a case because the impact of disclosing it would be disastrous for the tourism industry. That's surely not what you're saying, is it?

• Like 2

Explorer
Posted
Posted
On 12/25/2020 at 4:42 AM, Snowy79 said:

They class you as being at risk if you have been in close contact with a carrier for 15 minutes.  I doubt any guest would be in contact that long unless getting a massage then I'm afraid they would be classed as at risk and be required to isolate.

Silly me for filling all these little contact tracing papers in the supermarket, the cashiers are cute but they are not giving me any massage... So why bother with contact tracing in supermarkets where no massages are given? You may say "need to follow the protocol", so why not follow the same "protocol" at the resorts? I may not get a massage at the resort but the cook who prepared my breakfast may be infected and can pass the virus, an infected waiter who setup the table can pass the virus by touching the plate, utensils, etc.. So if you follow the "protocol", all guests who had breakfast at that day should have PCR test and any guest who was found to be positive should be immediately isolated and prevented from living the island until he is negative.

Snowy79
Posted
Posted
18 minutes ago, Explorer said:

Silly me for filling all these little contact tracing papers in the supermarket, the cashiers are cute but they are not giving me any massage... So why bother with contact tracing in supermarkets where no massages are given? You may say "need to follow the protocol", so why not follow the same "protocol" at the resorts? I may not get a massage at the resort but the cook who prepared my breakfast may be infected and can pass the virus, an infected waiter who setup the table can pass the virus by touching the plate, utensils, etc.. So if you follow the "protocol", all guests who had breakfast at that day should have PCR test and any guest who was found to be positive should be immediately isolated and prevented from living the island until he is negative.

I think it's a healthy balance between convincing people they are trying their best and using common sense. If they are seen to be trying it's better than nothing. In theory the tourists are coming from similar quarantine levels but having the additional burden of paying for an RT-PCR test, staying in a DOT approved accomodation and getting clearance before arriving in the location.

To be a DOT approved accomodation you must comply with all Covid regulations which are extremly strict and if followed should reduce the risk to a very low level.  In order to be approved they have been inspected and passed on the day of inspection. This resort has failed to follow the rules once the inspection team have left. Try to convince me you would be happy if due to non compliance with the rules you or a family member contracted covid and suffered through it.  Here are the rules which if followed should make it very unlikely you would catch covid.   http://www.tourism.gov.ph/healthandsafetyguidelinesnewnormal.aspx

• Like 1

Explorer
Posted
Posted
15 hours ago, Snowy79 said:

I think it's a healthy balance between convincing people they are trying their best and using common sense. If they are seen to be trying it's better than nothing. In theory the tourists are coming from similar quarantine levels but having the additional burden of paying for an RT-PCR test, staying in a DOT approved accomodation and getting clearance before arriving in the location.

To be a DOT approved accomodation you must comply with all Covid regulations which are extremly strict and if followed should reduce the risk to a very low level.  In order to be approved they have been inspected and passed on the day of inspection. This resort has failed to follow the rules once the inspection team have left. Try to convince me you would be happy if due to non compliance with the rules you or a family member contracted covid and suffered through it.  Here are the rules which if followed should make it very unlikely you would catch covid.   http://www.tourism.gov.ph/healthandsafetyguidelinesnewnormal.aspx

So if I frequented restaurant in Cebu where the cook/waiter is infected, I will get a call from contact tracer and out of abundance of caution I will do PCR test and isolate myself depending on the results. Same scenario in Boracay, no worry, no PCR test, just pack my bags and fly back home... and you call it "they are trying their best and using common sense"?

Snowy79
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, Explorer said:

So if I frequented restaurant in Cebu where the cook/waiter is infected, I will get a call from contact tracer and out of abundance of caution I will do PCR test and isolate myself depending on the results. Same scenario in Boracay, no worry, no PCR test, just pack my bags and fly back home... and you call it "they are trying their best and using common sense"?

In theory that is correct and if you care for others then that is what you should do.  We all know there are some out there though that don't care about others as long as they aren't inconvenienced.

Realistically he should be wearing a face mask, shield and other PPE as required for the establishment to have gained a permit to open.  Regular washing of hands, obeying social distancing, regular temperature tests etc.  Then if he is infected they look at the log book, contact anyone that has been using the premises during the usual incubation period and being caring citizens they will also follow the protocal.

Personally I know of one close friend in Scotland who was contacted via the trace app as he was in close proximity with a carrier.  He was due to attend a wedding but took the covid test and was found positive so self isolated.  He got covid pretty bad for 12 days, said he felt like he was dying and gasping for breath, serious panic attacks yet they wouldn't admit him to hospital until he was deamed critical. The wedding was only attended by a limited number of people, many of whom were in the at risk group so realistically his selflessness could have saved lives.

• Like 3

Explorer
Posted
Posted
On 12/26/2020 at 9:28 PM, hk blues said:

I'm struggling with this idea that it's perfectly acceptable to hide a case because the impact of disclosing it would be disastrous for the tourism industry. That's surely not what you're saying, is it?

No, I am not saying it, actually I am arguing (admittedly unsuccessful) the opposite, but this is the Philippines so I am expecting them to cut corners and not follow their own protocols when money and the highly connected are involved.

• Jollygoodfellow locked this topic