Covid hits Boracay.

Explorer
Posted
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, hk blues said:

I only wish everyone here could understand that sobering reality, Snowy.  But, clearly some still think we're embroiled in some kinda conspiracy theory. 

More than 25,000 Filipinos died from tuberculosis in 2019, should we care about them and their sobering reality or it is only covid, covid, covid now? 

Edited by Explorer

GeoffH
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Explorer said:

More than 25,000 Filipinos died from tuberculosis in 2019, should we care about them and their sobering reality or it is only covid, covid, covid now? 

There is already a vaccine for TB, it's mostly given to children in countries where it is common (most western countries have the disease under control and no longer mass vaccinate for it although I'm old enough that I was vaccinated against it at school).

And the Philippines has in fact an active BCG (TB) vaccine program however many rural and poor communities don't as a rule seek out the vaccine and there has been a great deal of vaccine hesitancy since the Dengue vaccine problems which is a problem that needs to be addressed.  There is also a very active Polio vaccine program (mostly sponsored via Rotary international).

And there are other vaccines in general use as well, mostly they're given at Baranguay health clinics to babies (which means older teens and adults who missed out as a baby are still at risk).

• Like 5

hk blues
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Explorer said:

It's not an either or choice we have i.e. we should continue to work on reducing existing conditions as well as new.  Filipinos are at risk of contracting both TB and Covid-19 - they don't have the luxury of choosing which. You can use your same question regarding the up to 500,000 who die from seasonal flu each year and my answer will be the same. 

In short, Covid is not substituting for other existing conditions, it is in addition to.  Would a %age if the 1.8m who have died from it have died from some other condition - yes.  How many and how soon is the unknown and we'll all have our own ideas on that.

• Like 2

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

Come on Guys, if any of us could actually know enough to solve this issue there would be no Issue to keeping going around and around on :whatever: Luv you all :whistling:

hk blues
Posted
Posted
37 minutes ago, Jack Peterson said:

Come on Guys, if any of us could actually know enough to solve this issue there would be no Issue to keeping going around and around on :whatever: Luv you all :whistling:

Quite Jack.  I guess those of us who are on the side of sensible precautions cannot comprehend those crazies who think this is all a conspiracy theory - and vice-versa!

• Like 1
  • Love it 1

Explorer
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, hk blues said:

It's not an either or choice we have i.e. we should continue to work on reducing existing conditions as well as new.  Filipinos are at risk of contracting both TB and Covid-19 - they don't have the luxury of choosing which. You can use your same question regarding the up to 500,000 who die from seasonal flu each year and my answer will be the same. 

So they are wrecking their life and economy for a disease that killed less than 10k and what exactly they were doing for another disease that is killing 25k year after year? If they are doing such splendid job with covid, as some say, what all those experts been doing in previous years? From the WHO -

"We need to end TB from this planet by 2030. Yet, the Philippines is among the few countries where the number of people with TB continues to increase every year."

hk blues
Posted
Posted
12 hours ago, Explorer said:

So they are wrecking their life and economy for a disease that killed less than 10k and what exactly they were doing for another disease that is killing 25k year after year? If they are doing such splendid job with covid, as some say, what all those experts been doing in previous years? From the WHO -

"We need to end TB from this planet by 2030. Yet, the Philippines is among the few countries where the number of people with TB continues to increase every year."

A disease that has killed less than 10K THUS FAR and is still going strong as we speak. Any who knows how many it would have killed IF the existing precautions had not been put in place.

You see, dumb as I am I tend to look around me and see what other people, places and countries are doing and it doesn't seem the Philippines is so far out of line.  

We're never going to agree on this so let's not try to. 

• Like 5

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
27 minutes ago, hk blues said:

A disease that has killed less than 10K THUS FAR and is still going strong as we speak. Any who knows how many it would have killed IF the existing precautions had not been put in place.

Let me ad here, HK... L's Lola (is that right for the mama side?) was diagnosed with TB earlier this year. There are treatments for that and she has been taking meds for that for months. Her persistant coughing and discomfort have been greatly relieved... She is pushing 90 years now...

Last I read - earlier today - there are NO effective treatments for the Covid, unless you are the president of USA or one of his close political buddies...

And I strongly agree that we should take our precautions seriously. At least L and I are doing that...

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted
13 hours ago, Explorer said:

I kinda get where you're coming from Explorer not sure if I agree with everything please take no disrespect. Think of it this way, if covid were to become highly active in Philippines the death rate numbers could become staggering. 

Year 2020 Covid deaths in San Fransisco were 173 heron deaths were 621. Why isn't more done to help addicts'? The numbers are disportanate but again Covid could spread much farther causing a huge death rate preventing/slowing the spread is fairly simple. I guess it comes down to how much will we sacrifice financially to save X amount of people. I don't have any answers just throwing it out there.

https://apnews.com/article/san-francisco-coronavirus-pandemic-a48a148efadbeaa1181148ea367c4d68

• Like 3

• Jollygoodfellow locked this topic