Elderly Parents as Dependents and ITN

Nickleback99
Posted
Posted

I see OnMyWay's posts on ITN for spouse, but wanted to see if anyone here has experience with parents (Lola and Lolo) living with them and providing 100% of their support, AND listing them as dependents on income tax return as well as obtaining a needed US ITN for such?  This would include them living in your/spouse's home in RP while you are going back and forth between two homes.  Any input is greatly appreciated.  

• Like 1

Nickleback99
Posted
Posted

Well.....Think I already found the answer at the elder law site.  

• Your parent must be a citizen or resident of the United States or a resident of Canada or Mexico.
  • Like 3

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
13 hours ago, Nickleback99 said:

Well.....Think I already found the answer at the elder law site.  

• Your parent must be a citizen or resident of the United States or a resident of Canada or Mexico.

Same for my stepdaughter.  I can't claim her and my tax CPA confirmed that.

When we move to the U.S., she will get a green card and SS number when we enter the U.S. (within a month or so), so I will be able to claim her then.

• Like 2

• 3 months later...
Pilotdrh
Posted
Posted
On 12/23/2020 at 3:30 PM, Nickleback99 said:

I see OnMyWay's posts on ITN for spouse, but wanted to see if anyone here has experience with parents (Lola and Lolo) living with them and providing 100% of their support, AND listing them as dependents on income tax return as well as obtaining a needed US ITN for such?  This would include them living in your/spouse's home in RP while you are going back and forth between two homes.  Any input is greatly appreciated.  

My in-laws lived with me in the US, green cards and SSNs.  I delayed filing my 2019 taxes because of covid. Then I decided to take them off my taxes as I don't get a benefit from it anyway. Then for the stimulus I filed for them, neither of them work. Received stimulus for them. so for my 2020 taxes I did the same. Received the stimulus for them, none for me though, AGI too high. Some of my taxes back is better than none at least.

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted (edited)

Your in-laws have been living in the US? Perhaps it would it be best if they filed IRS for themselves?

I would talk to your tax person for an expert answer. 

Edited by Old55

Nickleback99
Posted
Posted

Well, I guess being over the AGI threshold isn't necessarily a "bad" thing in the long run.   The years I worked in Iraq and A'stan are the only times I've paid what I'd consider a real butt load of Fed income tax, but heck, I had a enough fun doing it I guess.   :shades:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1