Philippines to raise age of consent

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted
28 minutes ago, Snowy79 said:

I wonder how they will deal with Religious issues.  One religion in particular allows females to get married at the onset of puberty which can be ten years old.

Appalachian West Virginia? :biggrin:

Actually we know, it's those we can't criticize. :mellow:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Old55 said:

Appalachian West Virginia? :biggrin:

Actually we know, it's those we can't criticize. :mellow:

If you get married in West Virginia and divorced in California are you still cousins? :tongue:

• Haha 2

Gandang Smile
Posted
Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

With so very many foreigners being charged with just being alone with a 17 year old, who woulda guessed the age of consent was 12?

Ah here it is https://pcw.gov.ph/republic-act-7610-special-protection-of-children-against-abuse-exploitation-and-discrimination-act/

Under that act a child is anyone under 18 so the "age of consent" is a moot point.

Exactly my thought. And, apparently the law applies to Filipino citizens as well, not just foreigners... I am not sure how the below is compatible with the old age of consent (12). So it has been illegal all along?

Republic Act No. 7610 Section 10(b)
"Any person who shall keep or have in his company a minor, twelve (12) years or under or who in ten (10) years or more his junior in any public or private place, hotel, motel, beer joint, discotheque, cabaret, pension house, sauna or massage parlor, beach and/or other tourist resort or similar places shall suffer the penalty of prison mayor in its maximum period and a fine of not less than Fifty thousand pesos (P50,000)

Edited by Gandang Smile

Gandang Smile
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, Old55 said:

"I still have plans, I want to marry an American to have a better life."

Not the least bit surprised, either. Back in the days of "open hunting" in Davao, I met at least two pretty girls (in their mid 20s!) who were all reluctant to the idea of being with a foreigner like me. Then as soon as they got knocked up with one of the local babaeros (folk playboys) and abandoned soon after delivering, they promptly contacted me back to see if I was still interested...only, this time, they came as a package :smile:

A behaviour that would come across as brutally cynical to most of us Westerners. In fact, it's just pure survival instinct over there.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Gator
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Gandang Smile said:

Exactly my thought. And, apparently the law applies to Filipino citizens as well, not just foreigners... I am not sure how the below is compatible with the old age of consent (12). So it has been illegal all along?

Republic Act No. 7610 Section 10(b)
"Any person who shall keep or have in his company a minor, twelve (12) years or under or who in ten (10) years or more his junior in any public or private place, hotel, motel, beer joint, discotheque, cabaret, pension house, sauna or massage parlor, beach and/or other tourist resort or similar places shall suffer the penalty of prison mayor in its maximum period and a fine of not less than Fifty thousand pesos (P50,000)

That law refers to minors (18 and under as well 12 and under). It’s been well discussed on other forums; have look at the placement of the coma’s. It does not apply to adults, so if a 19 year old girl is with 35 year old guy it’s legal. 

And as far as the article the OP posted; that refers to locals engaging in sex. For foreigners the legal age of consent is 18 and up. 

• Like 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Gator said:

That law refers to minors (18 and under as well 12 and under). It’s been well discussed on other forums;

Been well discussed on this forum as well since its been running something like 14 years.

People forget. 

Not even going to bother answering anything here as we all know the law as to foreigners with minors. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Shady
Posted
Posted
12 hours ago, Snowy79 said:

I wonder how they will deal with Religious issues.  One religion in particular allows females to get married at the onset of puberty which can be ten years old.

Islam apparently trumps PH law, see polygamy and divorce.

Shady
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, Gandang Smile said:

So it has been illegal all along?

For foreigners yes, but the locals have a loophole:  "this provision shall not apply to any person who is related within the fourth degree of consanguinity or affinity or any bond recognized by law, local custom and tradition"

Gandang Smile
Posted
Posted
12 hours ago, Shady said:

For foreigners yes, but the locals have a loophole:  "this provision shall not apply to any person who is related within the fourth degree of consanguinity or affinity or any bond recognized by law, local custom and tradition"

...which, ironically (but in a sad kind of way) seem to justify a big slice of these cases, where the abuse happens at the hand of a family member: an uncle, cousin, or other distant relative.

Gandang Smile
Posted
Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

Been well discussed on this forum as well since its been running something like 14 years.

People forget. 

Not even going to bother answering anything here as we all know the law as to foreigners with minors. 

16 hours ago, Gator said:

That law refers to minors (18 and under as well 12 and under). It’s been well discussed on other forums; have look at the placement of the coma’s. It does not apply to adults, so if a 19 year old girl is with 35 year old guy it’s legal. 

And as far as the article the OP posted; that refers to locals engaging in sex. For foreigners the legal age of consent is 18 and up. 

I had assumed the topic had been discuseed at length in the archives and, from the POV of a foreigner, nothing at all changes. Apologies if I brought it up as if it were "news" :wink:

I had a Christmas dinner with my wife's aunt and some family and the topic obviously came up. They all sounded very cynical about it because everybody knows that, whoever has enough cash to bribe the child's (destitute) family and the local policeman, will have unfettered access to children as young as they like them to be, for their personal fun.

Another one of their "money trumps everything" conclusion. Nothing new under the Philippine sun... :huh:

Edited by Gandang Smile