Philippines to raise age of consent

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Gandang Smile said:

I had a Christmas dinner with my wife's aunt and some family and the topic obviously came up.

I somehow find that a Tad unbelievable,  Over the years I have been here sex and it's surrounds are a Taboo conversation at Dinner, maybe you meant I brought up the subject, We foreigners are normally excluded from conversations anything to do with Sex as it is deemed none of our Business   :unsure:

• Thanks 1

Gandang Smile
Posted
Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, Jack Peterson said:

I somehow find that a Tad unbelievable,  Over the years I have been here sex and it's surrounds are a Taboo conversation at Dinner, maybe you meant I brought up the subject, We foreigners are normally excluded from conversations anything to do with Sex as it is deemed none of our Business   :unsure:

Well, it was the typical Filipino-style conversation around a big table. Boys on one side, girls on the other side, so either party was free to talk about stuff that would be considered trivial, boring or controversial by the other. My wife was sitting next to me so she got distracted from the kwento (the chit chat) and briefly weighed in.

On my side it was me, my wife's cousin and two family friends, one of whom is a Canadian/Jewish man who has been here for 20+ years and has basically seen it all. Wife's cousin brought up the topic, as the conversation was riding on the usual West vs Philippines stereotypes.

It's kind of funny, that every time Filipinos are asked to comment on something tragic happening in their country, their stance is almost never one of indignation and open criticism. It's always a mix of cynicism and resignation. On other occasions I touched on the subject of bribes and "commissions" to get anything going, in business or politics. They would all metaphorically lift their shoulders and say "everybody here does it", with the obvious unspoken corollary of "why shouldn't I be allowed to do it?".

Not saying that any of my male fellow diners had anything to do with sex with minors: they are all from reputable and wealthy families and I am 100% sure they never entertained such ideas. Yet, complacency and resignation from the upper/middle class who has the power to change things around, are probably just as bad as the poor families who allow the abuse to happen.

Edited by Gandang Smile

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
4 minutes ago, Gandang Smile said:

the conversation was riding on the usual West vs Philippines stereotypes.

what can I sayWho knows (dave (1).jpg

Gandang Smile
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, Jack Peterson said:

what can I sayWho knows (dave (1).jpg

:smile:

• Like 1

graham59
Posted
Posted
23 hours ago, Shady said:

For foreigners yes, but the locals have a loophole:  "this provision shall not apply to any person who is related within the fourth degree of consanguinity or affinity or any bond recognized by law, local custom and tradition"

What makes you think this provision doesn't also apply to foreigner relatives ? 

• Like 1

Jake
Posted
Posted
On 12/23/2020 at 7:40 PM, Snowy79 said:

I wonder how they will deal with Religious issues.  One religion in particular allows females to get married at the onset of puberty which can be ten years old.

Bingo Snowy!  Patronage multiples among the poorest.  

Clermont
Posted
Posted
19 hours ago, Gandang Smile said:

Boys on one side, girls on the other side

Where do the Barkla's and Tom Boys sit. :hystery:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Gandang Smile
Posted
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Clermont said:

Where do the Barkla's and Tom Boys sit. :hystery:

Haven't got any of those at the moment! :shades: Although I heard that one the foreigner's daughters is a bit of a tomboy (very pretty, though!) :hystery:

Edited by Gandang Smile
  • Like 1

Shady
Posted
Posted
On 12/25/2020 at 11:30 PM, graham59 said:

What makes you think this provision doesn't also apply to foreigner relatives ? 

This part is specifically not for relatives (or foreigners): "or any bond recognized by law, local custom and tradition"

• I'm Confused 2

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Shady said:

This part is specifically not for relatives (or foreigners): "or any bond recognized by law, local custom and tradition"

Your post makes no sense to me.  I have numerous nephews and nieces, grand nephews, grand nieces, etc.  There is nothing in that law that would prevent me from being along with them.  Common sense on the other hand does keep me from being in any situation where I could even be suspected of being a pedo.

• Like 3