Philippines internet ‘second slowest’ in Asia, ranks 110th among 139 nations

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Latest yearly internet listings are out and little has changed. More empty threats demanding reform that's unlikely unless an outside internet provider were allowed and that won't happen unless it's Chinese.

Philippines internet ‘second slowest’ in Asean, ranks 110th worldwide

MANILA, Philippines — The country’s internet connection, considered a basic necessity during the COVID pandemic, is still too slow.

A member of the House of Representatives said yesterday that the Philippines ranked the “second slowest” in internet speed among the 10-member Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN), and 110th among 139 countries.

“Filipinos deserve faster internet speeds, which have been associated with higher economic productivity, stronger jobs creation and greater quality of life,” Makati City Rep. Luis Campos Jr. said.

He cited as basis figures from The Speedtest Global Index, wherein Manila – with an average mobile internet speed of only 18.49 megabits per second (Mbps) – ranked 110th among 139 countries or territories as of November this year.

The Speedtest Global Index analyzes web access performance metrics around the world based on millions of tests taken by real people using the internet.

Campos, author of House Bill 7479 that aims to slap telcos that fail to reach a mandatory internet speed with a fine of P1 million daily until they fully comply, said there is a need for Congress to empower the National Telecommunications Commission so that it can set “compulsory deadlines.”

“We want the NTC to set faster internet speed targets every year, and then penalize the service providers that fail to deliver,” he said.

The veteran legislator noted that Afghanistan ranked last or 139th with 6.31 Mbps, while the United Arab Emirates topped the world’s list of internet connections, which is pegged at a very impressive 170.30 Mbps.

In fixed broadband, the Philippines ranked 103rd with an average speed of only 28.69 Mbps.

In Southeast Asia, Singapore – a fully developed and hi-tech island-state – beat all of its neighbors with its 241.10 Mbps, while Turkmenistan – located in central Asia – is at the tail end with 3.47 Mbps.

“We clearly still have one of the slowest internet speeds in the world and in Asia,” Campos lamented. “Among the 10 member countries of the ASEAN, for instance, our average mobile internet speed is ranked the second-slowest.”

“In fact, our 18.49 Mbps represents just 60 percent of the 30.94 Mbps average mobile internet speed across all ASEAN members,” he observed.

“We are more concerned about mobile internet speed because an overwhelming majority of Filipinos now access the web through their smartphones via their cellular telephone service provider,” Campos said.

President Duterte threatened in July, when he delivered his fifth State of the Nation Address, to expropriate the assets of private telecommunications firms if they failed to improve their internet services by yearend.

https://www.philstar.com/headlines/2020/12/28/2066612/philippines-internet-second-slowest-asean-ranks-110th-worldwide

BrettGC
Posted
Posted

Gandang Smile
Posted
Posted
13 minutes ago, BrettGC said:

Thailand almost 10 times as fast than the Philippines. Find it hard to believe...

BrettGC
Posted
Posted (edited)
30 minutes ago, Gandang Smile said:

Thailand almost 10 times as fast than the Philippines. Find it hard to believe...

Thailand isn't the developing country it was 15 years ago.  Massive growth in infrastructure and GDP per capita with the GFC only providing a minor hiccup.  By most metrics it's now considered a developed country on par with Malaysia.  Not what we're used to in the western world but its Human Development Index is 0.77, any under 0.71 are considered developing.  PI is 0.71.  Germany, the highest, is 0.94.  Niger, the lowest, is 0.377.  

Full list is here:  

https://worldpopulationreview.com/country-rankings/developing-countries

Edited by BrettGC
  • Thanks 2

Gandang Smile
Posted
Posted (edited)
26 minutes ago, BrettGC said:

Thailand isn't the developing country it was 15 years ago.  Massive growth in infrastructure and GDP per capita with the GFC only providing a minor hiccup.  By most metrics it's now considered a developed country on par with Malaysia.  Not what we're used to in the western world but its Human Development Index is 0.77, any under 0.71 are considered developing.  PI is 0.71.  Germany, the highest, is 0.94.  Niger, the lowest, is 0.377.  

Full list is here:  

https://worldpopulationreview.com/country-rankings/developing-countries

I believe Thailand is a fully developed country. Which explains why they are kicking out all the (s)expats :smile:

Still, stats showing that it is ahead of most first-world countries including the US, the UK, Switzerland and Germany...not sure whether they reflect an accurate sample.

Edited by Gandang Smile

hk blues
Posted
Posted

2nd slowest speed is acceptable IF it's also the 2nd least expensive - I very much doubt it is.  As I've repeatedly stated on this type of topic the price charged doesn't match the service provided.  Too many here are allowing the waters to be muddied by getting into debates over Globe V PLDT and which is better rather than focusing on the real issue which is neither are doing as well as they should be given their fees.  

• Like 4

BrettGC
Posted
Posted
5 minutes ago, hk blues said:

2nd slowest speed is acceptable IF it's also the 2nd least expensive - I very much doubt it is.  As I've repeatedly stated on this type of topic the price charged doesn't match the service provided.  Too many here are allowing the waters to be muddied by getting into debates over Globe V PLDT and which is better rather than focusing on the real issue which is neither are doing as well as they should be given their fees.  

Getting what you pay for is always the question.  Given wife's and mine forced separation and our contact is video calls, I can pretty safely say there's not a lot of truth in advertising in PI.  Unfortunately PI doesn't have the consumer protections we're used to in the west, so the provider's claims of speed and reliability largely go unchallenged other than El Presidente's occasional foot stomping which invariably results in no change from any of the companies concerned.  

You pay for something advertised, most western countries they have to provide it or there are consequences.  PI, not so much. We've tried the 3 providers in her area, all with the same underwhelming results compared to claimed speeds/reliability.  But I'm preaching to the choir here.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Gandang Smile
Posted
Posted

I already stated my opinion on this. I think the infrastructure providing fast and reliable Internet does exist (e.g. fiber optic to the building) but it's limited to specific cities (basically Metro Manila, Metro Cebu and Metro Davao), specific areas and building. I have been using a 350Mbps connection for almost 2 years with surprisingly little hiccups and problems. Some of the people I work with in the UK have been complaining about speed/reliability of their home or office connections more than I did here in my Ortigas condo.

The problem here is the relatively high cost of a fast connection, especially compared to the disposable income of the average Filipino household, as well as the availability outside said metro areas. I am paying P6000 for the 350Mbps connection, which probably only 2% of the population could afford. I heard similar prices for these speeds are charged in Australia (Telstra), but with average wages a multiple of the Philippines, that really isn't much of a blocker.

hk blues
Posted
Posted
18 minutes ago, BrettGC said:

Getting what you pay for is always the question.  Given wife's and mine forced separation and our contact is video calls, I can pretty safely say there's not a lot of truth in advertising in PI.  Unfortunately PI doesn't have the consumer protections we're used to in the west, so the provider's claims of speed and reliability largely go unchallenged other than El Presidente's occasional foot stomping which invariably results in no change from any of the companies concerned.  

You pay for something advertised, most western countries they have to provide it or there are consequences.  PI, not so much. We've tried the 3 providers in her area, all with the same underwhelming results compared to claimed speeds/reliability.  But I'm preaching to the choir here.  

How true.  Well, let's qualify that - I noted in the small print in an ISP that they guarantee 60% of promised speed at least 30% of the time.  Seriously, how can the regulators approve that criteria.  It's modern day highway robbery.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Gandang Smile said:

I believe Thailand is a fully developed country. Which explains why they are kicking out all the (s)expats :smile:

Still, stats showing that it is ahead of most first-world countries including the US, the UK, Switzerland and Germany...not sure whether they reflect an accurate sample.

I'm a little confused by your statement Gandang - the stats don't show it ahead of those countries you mention.  It is languishing far behind them.