Philippines internet ‘second slowest’ in Asia, ranks 110th among 139 nations

jimeve
Posted
Posted

I'm getting decent download speeds of 30 to 60, but when I try to play streams it starts to buffer then completely stops.

I wonder if PLDT are throttling my connection! My wifi connection seems fine did some test and it said good to very good.

GeoffH
Posted
Posted
11 minutes ago, jimeve said:

I'm getting decent download speeds of 30 to 60, but when I try to play streams it starts to buffer then completely stops.

I wonder if PLDT are throttling my connection! My wifi connection seems fine did some test and it said good to very good.

I suspect it is more likely to be that your local link supports higher speeds and that the international links (or trans island links if you aren't in Manila) are where the problem lies.  If you're streaming international content and it buffers try streaming local video content and see if it does the same.  The other possiblilty is that your local node is congested.

• Like 2

Gandang Smile
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, hk blues said:

I'm a little confused by your statement Gandang - the stats don't show it ahead of those countries you mention.  It is languishing far behind them.

I am referring to the link to the SpeedTest Global Index (https://www.speedtest.net/global-index)

Looks a bit weird to me that Thailand is coming up immediately after Singapore and HK and before most first world countries. 

image.png

Gandang Smile
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, jimeve said:

Usually if you go to sites like SpeedTest (.net) to test your speed, the test system will connect to the provider server closest to you, so it's much more likely that you get the full available speed (e.g. 50Mbps). In real-world scenarios when you're streaming from sites in the US or Europe there might be all sorts of bottleneck which will affect your speed and the time it takes to connect and deliver (latency) and the variability of this time (jitter).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, Old55 said:

He cited as basis figures from The Speedtest Global Index, wherein Manila – with an average mobile internet speed of only 18.49 megabits per second (Mbps) – ranked 110th among 139 countries or territories as of November this year.

I would be very pleased if I could get 18 megs per second.   Here is what I am getting right now. :1927_:

speed test.jpg

Gandang Smile
Posted
Posted
12 minutes ago, Mike J said:

I would be very pleased if I could get 18 megs per second.   Here is what I am getting right now. :1927_:

speed test.jpg

Ouch! Where in Manila do you live, @Mike J? Even a 4G mobile connection should give you 15 to 40Mbps, even on a humble pay-as-you-go SIM.

Snowy79
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Mike J said:

speed test.jpg

I was getting bent over for about 4.5k peso per month for speeds like that in Puerto Galera from Integranet. I was paying for up to 5mbps but very rarely got over 4mbps, 2.5 to 3mbps was the norm.  No choice sadly as Smart and Globe were useless where I lived. 

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Mike J said:

Here is what I am getting right now

Boy! How far down the dirt road, in the middle of the coconut plantation do you live? I get that speed from my neighbors bleed through :hystery:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Shady
Posted
Posted
15 hours ago, Old55 said:

He cited as basis figures from The Speedtest Global Index, where in Manila – with an average mobile internet speed of only 18.49 megabits per second (Mbps) – ranked 110th among 139 countries or territories as of November this year.

So are they ranking the average speed of one city, or the average speed of the whole country? Great reporting as usual.

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
11 hours ago, scott h said:

Boy! How far down the dirt road, in the middle of the coconut plantation do you live? I get that speed from my neighbors bleed through :hystery:

This is Globe 4G via cell tower in Moalboal.  No phone lines in our immediate area and fiber is just a dream.   Always slow and even worse with many of kids using it for school work because of the pandemic.   A lot of the kids must still be in bed (6:00 am), I am getting 9.5 megs right now.  Woo Hoo :6:

• Like 4
  • Haha 1