Philippines internet ‘second slowest’ in Asia, ranks 110th among 139 nations

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted
9 minutes ago, Gandang Smile said:

This is the problem with living in Paradise...

To get the 100Mbps+ connections, the fiber at home and all the other amenities, the only solution is to live in one of the three large cities. Which becomes Hell or Purgatory.

This is true. I like to visit Cebu City as it has much to offer but my God what a mess.

Gandang Smile
Posted
Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, Old55 said:

This is true. I like to visit Cebu City as it has much to offer but my God what a mess.

I have been dreaming to be a digital nomad, at least within the Philippines, for the past 3 years now. Any place I visited, which had a decent beach or nature spot invariably had a very bad Internet connection. The only exception I found so far is Tagaytay, which is scenic but highly urbanised and relatively expensive.

Edited by Gandang Smile
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

jimeve
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, sonjack2847 said:

I have found that when it buffers If I shut down the PC then restart it usually sorts it out. I am PLDT same as you mate

It's on my firestick mate, when I'm streaming live TV shows from England. Some movies from the USA seem fine with PLEX.

I'm getting fast download speeds but it's the quality of PLDT  not good at all. 

Some expat in Thailand who uses the same IPTV sevice that I use is getting zero buffering when he streams the same TV shows.

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

Do you guys ever read the news?  Globe etc are spending a fortune in updating and expanding their service. The others are doing the same but all depends on where you live like any service in the world.

If I lived in a mountain in Aus or US for example I bet I would not get a good service or any at all.

The only time to whinge if you are in a city such as Cebu or Manila, if you had bad speeds.

You guys who want something like 300 mp I bet most of your equipment wont do it anyway unless you are in a call center. 

earthdome
Posted
Posted

My inlaws live in the northern luzon mountains. In my visits over 7 years they have had spotty cell phone service and no data. Finally because of COVID and the need for remote learning internet access via cell phone data has finally reached them. Maybe I won't be so bored next time we visit.

Shady
Posted
Posted
14 hours ago, Gandang Smile said:

Any place I visited, which had a decent beach or nature spot invariably had a very bad Internet connection.

I've had the thought more than once. Why buy real estate for 10 to 20 million in Manila or Cebu, when I can buy something similar in the province for 1 to 2 million?

Because internet.

It's crazy, a third world nation can charge first world prices just because there's fast internet. One might think it's motivated by the real estate cartels...

Snowy79
Posted
Posted

We need a few more Chinese satellites around the Philippines.  I did a bit of remote mountaineering in the Nepalese Himalaya and even in the remotest regions had great internet on my phone.  Allegedly all thanks to the Chinese providing the service to enable them to pick up intelligence. 

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Snowy79 said:

We need a few more Chinese satellites around the Philippines.  I did a bit of remote mountaineering in the Nepalese Himalaya and even in the remotest regions had great internet on my phone.  Allegedly all thanks to the Chinese providing the service to enable them to pick up intelligence. 

Well that answers why there's no Chinese satellites around the Philippines. :whistling:

• Haha 2

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted

All this whining about poor or lack of internet service...

When I lived aboard the yacht and was cruising for over 20 years, there was no internet service. Well... I take that back a bit... I could send and receive e-mails using a short wave radio modem - maybe 5 - 10 minutes to send or receive e-mails or weather reports. And I did that once or twice a day.

I listened to Voice of America or other powerful radio stations to pick up some news.

I'm not saying I do not miss internet or fast internet service - L and I love streaming movies and TV shows. But, for a long time I didn't have any of that and didn't miss it. I read a s***load of books - sometimes 2 or three in a week. And probably half or more of those were non-fiction history, science, etc....

I am just trying to put some of these posts into a different perspective...:smile:

But I will agree with most comments here that the two biggest providers in Philippines charge first world - and higher - prices for 2nd or 3rd world service and that does irritate me too.

• Like 2

hk blues
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

Do you guys ever read the news?  Globe etc are spending a fortune in updating and expanding their service. The others are doing the same but all depends on where you live like any service in the world.

If I lived in a mountain in Aus or US for example I bet I would not get a good service or any at all.

The only time to whinge if you are in a city such as Cebu or Manila, if you had bad speeds.

You guys who want something like 300 mp I bet most of your equipment wont do it anyway unless you are in a call center. 

There are better causes to White Knight IMO - 2nd slowest in Asia, 110th out of 139 countries is where we're at.

Poor.

• Like 2