Philippines internet ‘second slowest’ in Asia, ranks 110th among 139 nations

graham59
Posted
Posted

You'd have to pay me to live in the filthy air of Manila again.

Don't care how great everything else (supposedly) is. 

We have every service we need up here.. and more, and fast enough internet.

You just need to research your location carefully. 

Clean beach. Clean air. Friendly people, not trying to rob you...and affordable property. 

• Like 2

jimeve
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, BC57 said:

Besides slow speeds the service is terrible. If a fly lands on the cable outside it seems that the internet goes down every time, lol.:571c66d400c8c_1(103): Spaghetti is stronger than the cable they use here to supply internet.:shock_40_anim_gif:

Mine has snapped 2x inside of 12 months. It's ridiculously thin.

• Like 1

Gandang Smile
Posted
Posted
18 hours ago, Shady said:

The distinction is that internet isn't limited to just 3 cities in most nations around the world, and so the disparate pricing that we see here is unique.

Faster speeds are unaffordable for anything but upper class families. If you check the PLDT website today, they are all about their new Home Fibr plans, which probably only reach 25% of the population. The rest will do with their 10 Mbps ADSL connections or top-up 4G connections.

18 hours ago, Shady said:

POGOs just abandoned Mactan and Mandaue, contributing to the extreme vacancies in office buildings though the real estate market seems mostly unfazed.

I don't know what the situation is in Cebu, but here in Manila the main driver for the increase of residential condos isthe same Chinese "investors" buying tens of properties at a time with money coming out of their less-than-transparent gambling operations or Ponzi schemes.

Gandang Smile
Posted
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, graham59 said:

You'd have to pay me to live in the filthy air of Manila again.

Don't care how great everything else (supposedly) is. 

We have every service we need up here.. and more, and fast enough internet.

You just need to research your location carefully. 

Clean beach. Clean air. Friendly people, not trying to rob you...and affordable property. 

Where are you living? North Luzon, somewhere around Subic?

Not to be bitchy, but I have never found friendly Filipinos who wouldn't want something back from me (usually "emergency loans") after two days, two weeks or two months.

Metropolitan Filipinos are actually better at not asking for money, since they usually have jobs that support themselves and their families. 

Edited by Gandang Smile

Shady
Posted
Posted
37 minutes ago, Gandang Smile said:

Faster speeds are unaffordable for anything but upper class families.

Right, and the vast majority of those upper class families live around Manila, or Cebu City, or...no that's basically it, and that's what makes the PH and it's real estate market so unique.  They even have a law that states you can't purchase a residential lot over 1000sqm in these cities, but in provinces everywhere else you can purchase hectares.

37 minutes ago, Gandang Smile said:

here in Manila the main driver for the increase of residential condos isthe same Chinese "investors" buying tens of properties at a time with money coming out of their less-than-transparent gambling operations or Ponzi schemes.

Another reason for the escalating prices in Manila and Cebu, between the rich Filipinos and Chinese investors it's a perennial sellers (and builders) market.

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Gandang Smile said:

I don't know what the situation is in Cebu, but here in Manila the main driver for the increase of residential condos isthe same Chinese "investors" buying tens of properties at a time with money coming out of their less-than-transparent gambling operations or Ponzi schemes.

11 minutes ago, Shady said:

Another reason for the escalating prices in Manila and Cebu, between the rich Filipinos and Chinese investors it's a perennial sellers (and builders) market.

I think you will find this in the process of reversing.  POGOS are leaving.  It is likely that the market is propped up right now by the Covid situation.  There is a shortage of normal sellers because moving during Covid is a pain, and creates a lot of uncertainty with jobs, schools, etc.  When the Chinese units and these sellers enter the market, it will become a buyers market.

Slight different factors in the U.S., but many are predicting a big downturn in housing prices in 2012 or early 2022.  There has been a huge surge in prices during Covid due to artificial conditions that be ending sooner or later.

Real estate people or those who make money on real estate turnover will say everything is fine.  I would use caution when buying in any market that appears to be overheated.  NOTHING goes up endlessly.

• Like 1

Gandang Smile
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, OnMyWay said:

I think you will find this in the process of reversing.  POGOS are leaving.  It is likely that the market is propped up right now by the Covid situation.  There is a shortage of normal sellers because moving during Covid is a pain, and creates a lot of uncertainty with jobs, schools, etc.  When the Chinese units and these sellers enter the market, it will become a buyers market.

Slight different factors in the U.S., but many are predicting a big downturn in housing prices in 2012 or early 2022.  There has been a huge surge in prices during Covid due to artificial conditions that be ending sooner or later.

Real estate people or those who make money on real estate turnover will say everything is fine.  I would use caution when buying in any market that appears to be overheated.  NOTHING goes up endlessly.

It can only be a good thing, that the Chinese are leaving. The units will be dumped and average prices will come down to earth, so that more Filipinos may enter the market. The problem will be with those Filipinos who have been dragged into the market with the promise of high rental yield and high appreciation, and got large mortgages.

For now I have the opposite problem...two units for rent, fully paid, one rented at 50% of the pre-lockdown market value, the other (in Davao) still unrented. Heaven only knows how much I'll be able to get on the second one...

• Like 2

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
5 minutes ago, Gandang Smile said:

It can only be a good thing, that the Chinese are leaving.

Ah! and what will this do to bettering the Internet in the Philippines? ( asking for a friend :smile:)

Gandang Smile
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Jack Peterson said:

Ah! and what will this do to bettering the Internet in the Philippines? ( asking for a friend :smile:)

Nothing. We went way off-topic :571c66d400c8c_1(103)::smile:

graham59
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, Gandang Smile said:

Where are you living? North Luzon, somewhere around Subic?

Not to be bitchy, but I have never found friendly Filipinos who wouldn't want something back from me (usually "emergency loans") after two days, two weeks or two months.

Metropolitan Filipinos are actually better at not asking for money, since they usually have jobs that support themselves and their families. 

I live near Dagupan...ie...nowhere near Subic. 

I have NEVER been asked for money by anyone around these parts, whether a relative or a stranger..apart from the odd street beggar, of course.  That is since 2014.  

This statement... 

'Not to be bitchy, but I have never found friendly Filipinos who wouldn't want something back from me (usually "emergency loans") after two days, two weeks or two months.

Metropolitan Filipinos are actually better at not asking for money, since they usually have jobs that support themselves and their families'. 

I consider to be frankly, ridiculous, but if that has been YOUR experience, fair enough. 

It certainly  has not been mine, after having lived in both Manila and the provinces for more than 30 years now.