Starting a garden

Snowy79
Posted
Posted

I've given up on the garden and started a monkey sanctuary.  I was growing bell peppers, chilis and golden melon on my balcony. The chilis and peppers did great in strong sunlight but every morning about 5 to 6am my friendly troop of monkeys come along and take one bite at each bell pepper before spitting it out, the melons get taken long before I could harvest them but the chilis remain untouched and doing great.  I also threw some blue pea seeds down which grew great but again the monkeys love them so I've yet to get one. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

graham59
Posted
Posted

Shame.

Little twats. 

A 12 bore might be a handy purchase.  :89:

• Like 2

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
19 hours ago, Snowy79 said:

I've given up on the garden and started a monkey sanctuary.  I was growing bell peppers, chilis and golden melon on my balcony. The chilis and peppers did great in strong sunlight but every morning about 5 to 6am my friendly troop of monkeys come along and take one bite at each bell pepper before spitting it out, the melons get taken long before I could harvest them but the chilis remain untouched and doing great.  I also threw some blue pea seeds down which grew great but again the monkeys love them so I've yet to get one. 

Good to know that we are not the only area with monkey garden issues.  The monkeys are a big reason why my wife wants to move.  They love orchids to eat and anything colorful they just like to destroy.

17 hours ago, graham59 said:

Shame.

Little twats. 

A 12 bore might be a handy purchase.  :89:

I have an Air Soft to scare them away but I have to be very careful about using it in a way that will not attract attention.  Not around me, but some PETA like neighbors have called the police on people shooting "in the general direction" of monkeys.  The police confiscated the Air Soft gun.

My Air Soft is not capable of doing much damage.  I could shoot myself in the leg at close range with the plastic BB and it would hurt, but nothing terrible.  Another guy I know has a pellet rifle and supposedly his wife killed a monkey with it.

Another neighbor install a cattle type electric wire on the top of his wall.  It helps a bit, but they can easily avoid it.

• Like 4

graham59
Posted
Posted

Yes, I do understand that you're basically 'at their mercy'....in the interests of wildlife protection.... and there is precious little of that in the Phils, fair enough.

Imagine what it must be like in India, where there are millions more of the buggers doing what the hell they like, nevermind cattle wandering around the streets. :no:

• Like 1

GeoffH
Posted
Posted

Have you thought about the old Phils standby of putting broken glass on top on the walls around the property?

I'd think that would stop at least some monkeys...

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
6 minutes ago, GeoffH said:

Have you thought about the old Phils standby of putting broken glass on top on the walls around the property?

I'd think that would stop at least some monkeys...

I don't really have a wall but walls mean nothing to monkeys.  We have many surrounding trees and they just jump on our roof.

• Sad 1

GeoffH
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, OnMyWay said:

We have many surrounding trees and they just jump on our roof.

Ahhh ok... sorry didn't think of trees, we don't have any nearby.

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, GeoffH said:

That is why my neighbor's electric fence is only partially effective.  They can go over it.

• Like 2

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
37 minutes ago, GeoffH said:

Yes I can see that

desert.jpg

• Haha 3

GeoffH
Posted
Posted
14 minutes ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

Yes I can see that

I probably should have said "we don't have any trees nearby because I live in a built up subdivision" :hystery:

• Haha 2