Starting a garden

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted

How about some sweet corn.  The sweet corn here is picked way too late, every time I see it at a vendor it BRIGHT YELLOW.  I tried it once and it was like trying to chew dry leather.  I always loved to have some corn on the cobb when grilling.  Especially good with BBQ salmon.  :thumbsup:

• Like 3

Snowy79
Posted
Posted

If I had a garden anti mosquito plants would be my priority.  Things like citronella grass. rosemary, mint, basil etc.

• Like 3

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted (edited)

Graham, nice flower garden. :smile: I could see having a morning coffee out in it every morning or reading a book.

The third picture with stone path to the rustic fence feature is very lovely well done that.

Edited by Old55
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

graham59
Posted
Posted (edited)
55 minutes ago, Old55 said:

Graham, nice flower garden. :smile: I could see having a morning coffee out in it every morning or reading a book.

The third picture with stone path to the rustic fence feature is very lovely well done that.

Thank you sir.

I made the rustic fence (and opening gate to the right, which has wire mesh across it...difficult to make out on that pic). Designed to keep wandering dogs out ! The rustic bit can actually be opened too, if necessary.  It is 'hinged' using car fan-belts, encircling the hardwood post.   

Almost everything in and around the house involving hammering and sawing... made by me. lol .

My Mrs laid the path of stones though. It's only used during the rainy season, so your feet don't get too muddy.

I will be laying some concrete in between the stones soon, to improve its efficiency and resilience to plants growing through it. 

My Mrs can claim all credit for the flower garden. I just cut the grass...which is now overdue !

Edited by graham59
  • Like 2
  • Love it 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, graham59 said:

We do have lots of flowers too. 

Thanks for sharing photos of your flowers and property - it looks better than many parks!

I especially like the stone walk way... Are those stones from your property or did you import them? And, I assume you or your wife just excavated a bit to embed them into the soil and packed around them? Very nice touch! I appreciate your and your wife's hands-on approach. We hope to emulate that to at least some extent. However, to start, we need a bit of help due to the size of the property here and because it needs some levelling and hand-grading.

Soon we will import what L refers to as "earth fill," which is apparently fill that is relatively clean compared to the stone and rock-filled natural earth here. Then we will also import some higher grade soil for the veggie and flower areas specifically... We see that peat moss is available and we think that may be good to mix in with some of the soil to promote drainage and aeration... But perhaps I am talking out of school here? I am on the very steep end of my learning curve with L guiding the way...

• Like 4

baronapart
Posted
Posted (edited)
On 12/28/2020 at 11:49 PM, graham59 said:

Cheers for the vote of confidence, but it's the Mrs who is the gardener.

I'm just a hose-pipe holder.  :biggrin:

My wife keeps a large vegetable and flower garden here in the States. She is a pro. I am just the soil, seed and fertilizer carrier)) Her only lament is that the growing season is too short here.

Edited by baronapart
  • Like 2

graham59
Posted
Posted

Our shady 'recreation' area:  :biggrin:

DSCN8781.JPG

• Like 4

graham59
Posted
Posted

Looking out of my 'man-cave' window...  now that I've cut the grass:  :smile: